Sign in with
Your question

When I OC my GPU I get AMD Drivers have stopped working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2012 9:02:56 AM

So, my game run smooth and I don't have driver issues. But when I OverClock my GPU and I start a game, the warning pops out: ,,AMD Drivers have stopped working and have recovered''

PLS help. Any help will be appreciated. :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
December 8, 2012 9:13:51 AM

You do realize, that when you overclock something, you run it outside of its specification?
In this case, if your device driver crashes and has to recover, that basically means you overclocked too far and something went wrong. Just revert back to stock settings or try a milder overclock.
December 8, 2012 9:30:36 AM

Well. My stock core clock is 1020mhz and my stock memory clock is 1155Mhz. I have OC'd it to 1150Mhz core clock and 1200Mhz memory clock.
BTW I didn't touch the voltage because I was scared not o screw something. What Clock and Memory speeds do you suggest, and do you think that I should add more voltage to make it more stable ? THNX in advance :)  :)  :) 
Related resources
December 8, 2012 9:35:51 AM

Well, it would help if you could supply me with the name of the GPU you're using.
Also, each individual card has its own limits, due to variances during manufacturing. A voltage increase can help stabilize your overclock, but can decrease maximum lifespan, or at worst make your card unusable. I advise not to do that unless you're absolutely sure what you are doing ;) 

Try to keep that core overclock, but revert memory speed to stock. Memory overclocks don't do that much, unless the core is starved for data. Also, some manufacturers put memory on their cards that can barely handle stock settings.
December 8, 2012 9:41:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. It is a ASUS Radeon HD 7770 Direct CU :) 
December 8, 2012 9:48:13 AM

Ah yes, i know that one. Keep the memory clock at stock, the core *should* be able to reach 1060-1100mhz, depending.
December 8, 2012 10:02:42 AM

Thank you very much for all the help. So I OC'd the GPU and I tried running the MSI Kombustor for a stability test. At 1130MHz of core clock, the ,,AMD has stopped working''
sign appeared and my PC freezed. But when i lowered It down to 1120MHz It was running like a miracle.Awesome. Thanks for the help again.
And I want to ask you something. I know that the Crore Clock is going to increase my FPS in games. But does the Memory Clock give me some extra FPS when I OC it ? :)  :)  :) 
December 8, 2012 10:23:43 AM

Yes, the memory clock does increase the fps, but by much. Less than a percent, maybe. For me, it's not worth the hassle.
December 8, 2012 10:26:37 AM

Ok than thnx. When I run MSI Kombustor I don't get the error, but when I run Crysis 2, at the beginning of the match, the game freezes and I have to lose it. So I will try different clock speeds and than we'll see...
April 6, 2013 6:35:53 AM

hello,i hv a palit gtx 650 ti 1gb graphics card...my base clock is 928 mhz..and my memory clock is 2700 mhz...so i used msi afterburner to oc my card..i increased my base clock to 1080mhz and memory clock to 2850 mhz...i was gettings a gud performance increase but suddenly the game that i was playing stopped working and so did the drivers...any advice? thnx in advance
!