New Blu Ray player & DLNA & XP

ram1009

Distinguished
I just bought a new Panasonic Blu Ray player that has DLNA capability. The setup for the DLNA link only mentions W7. I'm running XP Pro and so am wondering if I will be able to use DLNA and if so how to set it up. Thanks.

ram1009

Distinguished

Thanks for the post. I tried it but no joy. There was one screen in the tutorial that I believe was for Vista. My BR player and WMP11 both see each other over the network but the setup screen on the BR player shows some pre-named folders which contain nothing. There's no instructions about how to get media to show up in the folders. Those folders aren't present in WMP11 that I can find. I placed a movie file in the WMP11 library but it is unseen by the player. I'm at a dead end.

ram1009

Distinguished

Yes, the BR player shows up as an unknown device which I have "allowed". The computer where WMP is setup shows up in the BR player screen by it's proper name but the pre-named folders under it are the mystery. Both file and printer sharing are enabled. I don't know what netbios is.

RealBeast

Titan
Windows peer-to-peer networks use the NetBIOS (Network Basic Input/Output System) applications programming interface for File and Printer Sharing. NetBIOS names identify computers on the network. NetBIOS broadcasts locate computers and shared disks and folders on the network and allow them to appear in My Network Places and Network Neighborhood.

NetBIOS is not the same thing as NetBEUI (NetBIOS Extended User Interface):

NetBIOS is an applications programming interface (API).
NetBEUI is a transport protocol.
File and Printer Sharing requires NetBIOS.
Nothing in Windows networking requires NetBEUI.

The NetBIOS API must be enabled over one of the transport protocols: NetBEUI, TCP/IP, or NWLink IPX/SPX. Networks that use TCP/IP for File and Printer Sharing require NetBIOS Over TCP/IP, also known as NetBT.

To enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP on Windows XP and Windows 2000:

Open the Network Connections folder.
Right click the local area network connection and click Properties.
Double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
Click Advanced.
Click WINS.
Click the Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP button.

from: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/netbt.htm

ram1009

Distinguished

When I click on "wins" a dialog box opens saying "The combination of IP address and subnet mask is invalid. All of the bits in the host address portion of the IP address are set to 0. Please enter a valid combination of IP address and subnet mask."

ram1009

Distinguished
I found a program called MEZZMO which works quite well as a DLNA server and transcodes on the fly. It works fine for my VOB files but unfortunately does not support subtitles for VOB yet. They claim they will upon next release. We'll see.

ram1009

Distinguished

Interesting but I don't see a list of supported file types. Do you know for sure if it supports VOB WITH subtitles?

EDIT: I've answered my own question. I found the list of supported files and while it does support VOB files it does NOT support embedded subs. Too bad. It also fails to mention support for Panasonic Bluray players.