PCI-e Network Adapter Advice

eljefe27

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
I recently moved into a new apartment and my desktop is now located in a different room from my router. The distance between my desktop and router is not far, but the signal travels through a concrete wall and two sets of mirrored doors. The router is a Linksys 2500 (duel band N). The first solution I tried was a refurbished Linksys AE1000 USB adapter. I have had terrible reliability (repeated drops while downloading) and low signal (one or two bars). As a base of comparison, my laptop and iPhone 4 get 3 bars from the same spot. My next attempt was a Rosewill RNX-N300X PCI adapter from Newegg. The signal from this card was much better, but I had to place this in the PCI slot next to my sound card (Asus Xonar Essence ST) and it caused an intermittent popping noise on the audio channel (I am assuming the wireless card was causing some interference sitting so close to the sound card). In general, I have had terrible experiences using Rosewill products so part of me blames the quality of the card.

My only other idea is to use a PCI-e wireless adapter as this sits farther from the sound card. Can anyone recommend a reliable, reasonably priced PCI-e wireless N adapter? I want to try this before going with more expensive (powerline networking) or more annoying (wired) route.