MSI 660 Ti PE won't let system to POST

mokalovesoulmate

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012
Hello,

1 week ago I just installed my newly-purchased MSI 660 Ti Power Edition. Everything works fine on that time, I am able to use my PC and play some games...until today I trying to turn on my PC again, but it won't boot.

I am trying to unplug everything -- include the VGA card, then the PC can be turned on.

I am trying to plug the VGA again with the power cable - the system turned off immediately.

I am disconnect the VGA's power cable, the PC able to turn on but it displaying message : "Power down the system and plug the power cable for the graphics adapter." But how to turn on if when I plug the VGA's power cable the PC won't turn on?

I am simply screwed up -- and do searching until I read those article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvolting-PowerEdition,18013.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-gpu-GTX-660-Ti-670-Power-Edition-Overvolting,18240.html

What gives, MSI? I am taking 2 days leave, I just want to play games, but when I came home I have to deal with this?

The weirdest problem is, it is working one week ago, but why today is not? Is it my faulty PSU? Well, I just bought this new computer in October. Everything works fine before this VGA come in.

Do you guys have advice how to make this card allow system to POST?

Dont tell me to do RMA, the store I purchased this VGA is too far away...but if no way, fine then.

My PSU is Enlight 550W model 855A1001B.

Please advice, thanks.

Note : I am posting this while leaving the VGA plugged in the computer, is it okay? I am using the onboard VGA at the moment.

Ok, let's start with basics. Did you connect TWO 6-pin PCIe cables to the graphics card directly from the power supply unit? It seems like you were talking about one only.

Secondly, the fact that I cannot find any info whatever about your power supply unit makes me question its quality. Do you mind posting its specs? Like Amps on 12V rail and number of connectors available.

your PSU may be bad, as it seems to come free with $50 cases its probably garbage but I can't find any info on it.

Your gpu may be shorting it out too... You should never ever ever ever plug anything in with the computer turned on. You may have damaged the card or PSU.

I would swap or replace the PSU. If that doesn't work RMA the card. RMAs for faulty products go to the manufacturer not the store...

mokalovesoulmate

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012

Yes I connect bothtwo 6pin PCIe cables to the graphics card directly from PSU. It was working 1 week ago, today is not.

Its okay, here you go :

imag07751.jpg

Thanks for your info, I am immediately switch off the computer and pull out the VGA :) Anyway I buy the power supply separated from the case.

mokalovesoulmate

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012

Nope, I did not use any adapter, and it have 2 6pin connectors.

FYI when I bought the video card it comes with 2 cables...

It is a double 4pin to single 6pin converter. I have trying them too but still doesnt work.

mokalovesoulmate

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012

Hehe, unfortunately not. I can bring the PC with the card to the store I bought them and let their staff check. Luckily all hardware are still under warranty.

Thanks for your help.

mokalovesoulmate

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2012

UPDATE :

Today I was able to get a new replacement of the graphics card. The tech support said the old one is already broken, they will RMA'd the card.

In the beginning, they told me that I better to upgrade the power supply to a 650W, with Corsair brand (I am just searching and I think Corsair get my attention, is this brand good?). They also saying I can continue using the existing 550W Enlight, but the card may broken again in the future with unknown time. But they say it is okay, because the card are still under warranty so I can get another one if this new card broken again but with a note that I must use a PSU that they recommends, plus, finally I get a new card, but with a small modification.

They also told me that in the box is written that 450W PSU or greater is a must for the card. Mine is 550W.

They replace a small component with another component on the card and they told me the small modification was a revision from MSI. I thought it is about the voltage issue, mentioned in tomshardware article. But, well, I dunno. They also saying the card *sometimes* accept some model of PSU. They said the Corsair model works and tested, but they dont know about the others because they did not test it. Hmm, I got a feeling that I become a their tester :))

Before I accept the VGA, here is some tests:

First:
The new unmodified card tested with my 550W PSU : Running well.

Second:
They soldering the new card, replacing components based on MSI's revision, testing again with my 550W PSU : Running well.

Third:
I am going to home and it takes 2.5 hours :cry:

At home with happy feeling I plug the card within my PSU. On first, the VGA powered on but the sound of fan is seriously noisy so I shutdown the computer. But when I turned on again, the card DEAD again! Totally same as yesterday!

I am really screwed up. Because I am afraid, I only plug and unplug the card only twice for testing. I will contact the support again for tomorrow for report, but this time I am also going to try again with a different power supply. I might find a few friends first (OMG I am living in a jungle?!) who have good PSU.

MSI, this is how your card works?! Seriously?

Well, if I really have to replace the PSU, can you guys recommends the best model of Corsair brand?

Things plugged in my system are:

PSU to motherboard (my motherboard is Gigabyte H61M-DS2)
PSU to Internal HD (only 1 but I am planning to install DVD-RW and one more internal HD)
PSU to the graphics card (for now, its not)

Please suggest me the cheapest and best quality one based on what I need above, and usable PSU for a long time...the cheap and good one...because it just don't fair, I bought the computer in October with separated PSU and I have to buy a PSU again?! Sigh...I already told the computer seller to put a good PSU on my computer because I am gonna put a graphics card...the seller just dont understand technical, they just understand sales.

Thanks.