Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good build, first time building myself.

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2013 5:39:16 AM

Hello good folks. I would like your opinion on this new computer i am about to build. It will be my first time building a pc mysellf and so i want to make sure i get the right hardware. i want my pc to be upgradable in the future, and i want it to be able to run most/all games on high/max settings with 50-60 fps.

here is what i got so far, please let me know if u see any problems or if any of my choices could be better for my needs. i plan on OC'ing btw.

build:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z6wp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z6wp/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z6wp/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($265.98 @ Amazon)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.98 @ Mwave)

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208BB DVD/CD Writer ($25.02 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $1353.87

so what do you guys think? is there anything you would change ? and how well will this pc perform playing new games on high settings. and how upgradable would you say it is. i really dont know anything about hardware so please give some reasoning if you think i should change anything.

enlighten me :) 
January 23, 2013 6:40:28 AM

This is what I would go with. First, the motherboard is too much for the build. You will not utilize it to its fullest. The CPU cooler is overpriced. You can get good OC results from the 212 EVO. Changed you GPU to a 1.02 GHz model instead of 980MHz (for less too). 750W for power is overkill. Even with good OC'ing, 600-620W will be fine. I picked the Corsair 300R for the case and different RAM to save you some cash there.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.79 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($378.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.41 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($82.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208BB DVD/CD Writer ($25.02 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1141.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 03:36 EST-0500)
Related resources
January 23, 2013 10:47:12 AM

thanks for the answers. i have decided to go with another MB to save some money, however, i can get the asrock z77 extreme 6 for only 35$ more. i have a hard time understanding exactly what the difference is except extreme 6 comes with some extra usb 3.0 ports and other minor stuff. so would it even be worth it, or should i just save the 35$ ? i also went with the 600W PSU and 212 evo instead.

i also took a second look at the gtx 670 GPU's and found this one:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtx670dc2t...

it seems from reviews that this card is the allround best 670.
does anyone of you have any firsthand experiences with this card? or any hardware wizards that can tell me if this card will be worth the extra money it will cost me, around 50 $?
January 23, 2013 11:04:26 AM

Yeah go cheaper on the stuff they said but i would reccomend upgrading that i5 to an i7
January 23, 2013 11:12:10 AM

Keep the i5 unless you just have the cash to burn - 8 threads is marginally helpful on all of about two games. Doesn't seem to be a huge push to change that.

The Evo will get you to 4.4Ghz easily, maybe more if you aren't afraid of higher temps. The Phanteks is more than double the price and *might* get you another 11% overclock.

Only thing I'd change on Cball's build is drop the HDD and get a bigger SSD if this is only for gaming and surfing.

January 23, 2013 11:12:37 AM

i5-3570k is an unlocked CPU. Are you planing to overclock it? If no - you can get away with with stock fan. Even if you overclock CPU up to 4.0GHz stock would handle it but of course custom would cool better.
January 23, 2013 11:45:34 AM

It's just not a good time to spend a lot of money.

New chips due soon ::: AMD Radeon Sea Islands and Intel Haswell

Haswell brings a new socket (Right?). Radeon 8XXXs will boost compute, fer sure, and drop prices on both AMD and nVidia stuff. We've even got DDR4 on the short horizon. And, Steamroller, too (likely AM3+).

And I'm not sure why you are not going with an HD7970GHZ for the same price as your GTX670. The 7970 is much mo' bettah at higher resolutions. And then, there's this:

In most any OpenCL/GL GPU compute scenario, it's bordering on a slobber-knocking.

January 23, 2013 1:55:25 PM

Wisecracker said:
It's just not a good time to spend a lot of money.

New chips due soon ::: AMD Radeon Sea Islands and Intel Haswell

Haswell brings a new socket (Right?). Radeon 8XXXs will boost compute, fer sure, and drop prices on both AMD and nVidia stuff. We've even got DDR4 on the short horizon. And, Steamroller, too (likely AM3+).

And I'm not sure why you are not going with an HD7970GHZ for the same price as your GTX670. The 7970 is much mo' bettah at higher resolutions. And then, there's this:

http://media.bestofmicro.com/A/Q/342530/original/luxmark.png

In most any OpenCL/GL GPU compute scenario, it's bordering on a slobber-knocking.

thanks for the heads up wisecracker, i was not aware of that. but what does it mean? should i wait with buying a motherboard that supports these chips, or are there any on the market now that does that i should buy instead of the one i chose?

i will look some more at the 9770GHZ, you say it performs better at higher resolutions? i suppose that would be dual monitors you are talking about? im sorry but i really do not know alot about any of this. but i could picture myself running dual monitors at some point, so that certainly wouldnt be a bad thing

and i have no idea what "bordering on a slobber-knocking" means, been trying to figure it out for a while now xD
im not american or a native english speaker for that matter, so that one just makes zero sense to me, oh well.

January 23, 2013 9:37:40 PM

Beat bad enough in OpenCL/GL compute that bright green snot flies out their nose ? :lol:  It's an athletic analogy ... think ... like an outstanding football or rugby tackle.

I was referring to the *next* big gaming resolution seems to be headed to 2560x1600, which is 16:10 - single monitor, and twice the pixel density of 1080p ... THOUGH running 3 monitors 5760x1080 in Eyefinity is a nice option for you with the HD7970

The bottom line if I understand your original post: you wish to run multiple video cards for high-end gaming.

Just so you understand: Future Intel CPUs Haswell (May) and Broadwell (2014) will not work in your motherboard - they require a new LGA1150 socket. You may substantially reduce your CPU/mobo budget with an i3 and wait for s1150, or go AM3+.

The new Radeon 8XXX-series video cards should be here in the next month or so. At a minimum, it should drive down the prices of the 7970s and 670s out there. The Radeon *Sea Islands* cards will boost 'GCN' compute cores and expand the *HSA* architecture.

The AMD HSA-arch ultimately will provide direct memory addressing for the VRAM. It's an expansion of their goal to harness the compute power of the GPU in combination with the CPU cores.

So. Take your time. It's at least a month before Crysis3 :lol: 

!