Is this a decent computer for gaming and working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlantaaa

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I currently don't have a computer to use which sucks, and I'm looking to possibly build a computer just so I can prevent my laptop from being destroyed anymore and only use it when I'm out and about. I love to game, I'm honestly not worried about having it at super high quality, maybe around 60 FPS all the time is good enough. I also would like to have all my settings on high, but medium is still a minimum and fine if I'm forced to choose that setting. Here is the current build, and I'd like to know if there's anything wrong (e.g. CPU doesn't fit motherboard) or if I could get another part that's possibly better and cheaper.

P.S I'm a noob at this type of stuff..

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ ($85)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition ($95) or another processor could be suggested (if anyone would be so kind) since I'm pretty skeptical considering I've never had an AMD processor.

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM, 64MB Cache) ($80)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (DDR3 1600Mhz) ($48)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti (2GB) ($160) I do like this card and it's pretty good from the reviews I've read.
Or the AMD FD8120FRGUBOX FX-8120 ($150) I'm not sure which one is better.

Optical Drive: Samsung Internal DVD Writer ($18)

Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower ($40)

Power Supply: Corsair CX Series 430 Watt ($25)

Total Cost: = $551 which is actually a good price considering I'm on a budget.

If anyone could please provide feedback that'd be great! Thanks.

Phenoms still do really well , and are only cheap because they are end of line .
You mention an FX 8120 later in your post . If you can afford it then the latest model FX 6300 for $140 is an excellent choice . It runs cooler and games better than the 8120
AMD processors are just as good quality as any intel . And the price is right too

By getting the AM3+ motherboard you also give yourself options to update when you want to .

I have just been looking at the benchmarks for the 650 ti. Really impressive .
It will game well

The best i3's game on par with an FX 6300 , and get stomped everywhere else .
They cant be overclocked , and the socket 1155 will be history in a few months time

And when you are playing online with other services wanting cpu time ...the benchmarks are only going to get worse

batty251

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
what would be your max budget because AMD cpu's are usually always beaten by intel and intel is better in terms of games multi tasking they live and breath cpu's but AMD are just sending them out the door they do the same with the graphics cards but this year they have turned a leaf with their graphic cards the new drivers making them better but anyways what is your budget maybe could change your list better if we knew what you could spend on your max

Atlantaaa

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

The most I'd spend on a computer is around $600-650 and no higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.