Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Is their a bottle neck in this system build?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2013 10:32:58 AM

IM going to build this system but I was wandering if the parts would cause a bottle neck?

CPU AMD FX8120

Kingston ram 8gb

1Tb HDD

ASRock 880gm LE-FX

700 PSU

GTX 660 Ti

:) 

More about : bottle neck system build

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 110 à CPUs
January 23, 2013 11:58:58 AM

be specific on 700 PSU ? what brand/type is it?
m
l
January 23, 2013 1:18:29 PM

TheN00bBuilder said:
Doesn't seem like it will to me. Which parts would you be concerned about?

im concerned about my motherboard? and my psu is thermaltake :) 
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 23, 2013 1:19:18 PM

AMD Radeon said:

its a thermaltake psu :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 110 à CPUs
January 23, 2013 1:26:09 PM

that mobo is fine, it is AM3+ and support FX processor :)  your psu is fine
have fun [:russk1]
m
l
January 23, 2013 1:43:43 PM

AMD Radeon said:
that mobo is fine, it is AM3+ and support FX processor :)  your psu is fine
have fun [:russk1]

thanks man :)  but funny you say that because ive alreday built the computer and it lags every few minuted for some reason? like it stays on a constant 60 fps then drops every few minutes to 13 fps for 12 seconds and shoots up again :( 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 110 à CPUs
January 23, 2013 2:05:02 PM

you didnt say it before...
your spec is fine

honestly it could be anything, i know thermaltake PSu is crxp, but mostly higher version is still good
and usually ppl hate amd cpu+nvidia combination for some reason. but it hasnt been proved yet

could be OS problem, malware or something
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 281 à CPUs
January 23, 2013 3:44:35 PM

When you built the PC, did you install motherboard drivers (in particular the LAN driver) from the CD or download the latest from your motherboard manufacturer's web site?

-Wolf sends
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 3:58:57 PM

Which game(s) are lagging? What resolution? Online or single player?

Double tap what Wolf said and add that for all your mobo's components and GPU driver. Use driversweeper to clean up between driver loads.

Did you get any errors/issues when you installed the OS? Is it fully patched?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 4:10:19 PM

8120 not too good for gaming. FX-6300 will be better and a little cheaper. And make sure you go 2x4GB instead of 1x8GB on the memory for performance.

m
l
January 23, 2013 10:37:56 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
Which game(s) are lagging? What resolution? Online or single player?

Double tap what Wolf said and add that for all your mobo's components and GPU driver. Use driversweeper to clean up between driver loads.

Did you get any errors/issues when you installed the OS? Is it fully patched?

I lag on every game from minecraft to assassins creed III its on the resolution 1920x1080 and its both single and online :( 

ok ill try that :) 

yeah the OS is all good !

m
l
January 23, 2013 10:39:29 PM

twelve25 said:
8120 not too good for gaming. FX-6300 will be better and a little cheaper. And make sure you go 2x4GB instead of 1x8GB on the memory for performance.

see ive heard that before but i honestly dont reckon it is? why wouldnt it be good for gaming? im open for opions :D  and yeha i have dual channel sticks 2x4GB
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 11:07:55 PM

Hm - checked your cpu and gpu temperatures under load? Prime95 and Furmark work, OCCT as well.

Tried turning down the eye candy assuming you're running currently on Ultra? Tried with adaptive vsync on an off?
m
l
January 23, 2013 11:11:25 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
Hm - checked your cpu and gpu temperatures under load? Prime95 and Furmark work, OCCT as well.

Tried turning down the eye candy assuming you're running currently on Ultra? Tried with adaptive vsync on an off?

yeah man the cpu temp and gpu temp are sweet as apple pie and yeah ive tried every graphics settting and the weird thing is the higher i go the longer the interval between lag spikes occurs its weird? and yeah ive tried all that hahah
m
l
January 23, 2013 11:19:33 PM

AMD Radeon said:

turns out its a cooler master PSU :p 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 11:25:32 PM

Alrighy then - ctrl/alt/del, task manager, performance tab - stretch it across the screen (your watching cpu and memory usage), play a game till you hit the lag spike and recover from it, then tab out and see what's going on there. Can print screen quick post if u like.
m
l
January 23, 2013 11:34:18 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
Alrighy then - ctrl/alt/del, task manager, performance tab - stretch it across the screen (your watching cpu and memory usage), play a game till you hit the lag spike and recover from it, then tab out and see what's going on there. Can print screen quick post if u like.

yeah my memory usage is fine and so is my cpu its weird like there is no load at all when i game literally? but my HDD spikes constantly and peaks and stays at a 100% then drops and spikes its strange?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2013 11:57:53 PM

The HDD? Have you tried overclocking the crap out of the cpu?

We have a more fundamental problem tho. You're dead so probably shouldn't be operating a computer.
m
l
January 24, 2013 12:00:43 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
The HDD? Have you tried overclocking the crap out of the cpu?

We have a more fundamental problem tho. You're dead so probably shouldn't be operating a computer.

nar man man i dont really like to over clock i have on previous systems but didnt like it?

well im not dead... http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/redface.gif
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2013 12:50:42 AM

Dead men tell no tales. Or have lag.

I'm fresh out of ideas. Might try to rma the gpu. Wish i had more.
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:06:09 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
Dead men tell no tales. Or have lag.

I'm fresh out of ideas. Might try to rma the gpu. Wish i had more.

yeah man its alright :) 
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:26:20 AM

Alright, i didnt read much of this forum, so you may already have your computer by now, but heres my two cents:

Without knowing ANY info about hdd speeds, etc, i can tell you the hdd will be a bottleneck. try a 128 GB SSD also for your OS. you will be very glad you did. id go corsair. And make sure you get the ram in 2 X4GB config. much faster that way.
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:44:21 AM

Savageshy said:
Alright, i didnt read much of this forum, so you may already have your computer by now, but heres my two cents:

Without knowing ANY info about hdd speeds, etc, i can tell you the hdd will be a bottleneck. try a 128 GB SSD also for your OS. you will be very glad you did. id go corsair. And make sure you get the ram in 2 X4GB config. much faster that way.

so do you reckon if i get myself a solid state drive it will go away?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2013 2:31:09 AM

HDD shouldn't have anything to do with it. AC3 loads the area you're in completely so is not a factor in FPS.
m
l
January 24, 2013 2:50:13 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
HDD shouldn't have anything to do with it. AC3 loads the area you're in completely so is not a factor in FPS.

yeah i thought that but what do you reckon it is then?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2013 2:10:53 PM

I'd stick an Evo on it and overclock it within reason (i.e. not to the bleeding edge) and see if that helps. If not, I'd start RMAing parts one at a time beginning with the GPU. Stinks but not a lot of fun to try and game with lag like that.
m
l
January 24, 2013 2:32:51 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
I'd stick an Evo on it and overclock it within reason (i.e. not to the bleeding edge) and see if that helps. If not, I'd start RMAing parts one at a time beginning with the GPU. Stinks but not a lot of fun to try and game with lag like that.

yeah ive oc it before but nothing happens like it doesnt stop the problem?

yeah i know its not my gpu, ram or even my HDD well i say that because i had a 500 GB laptop HDD that was heaps faster yet the problem still persisted? i think it may be my mobo or cpu?? When i put a fan on my northbridge chip it helps a bit and if i dont my northbridge gets so hot to the point of touching it burns you?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2013 2:37:32 PM

Bleh. Try RMAing the mobo then. It would be odd that's the problem but stranger things have happened.
m
l
January 24, 2013 2:54:10 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
Bleh. Try RMAing the mobo then. It would be odd that's the problem but stranger things have happened.

yeah righto any other suggestions then i remember i changed the voltage of my ram to 1.65v and that made a world of a difference still lags though but not as much :( 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2013 3:01:14 PM

I'm out of ideas :( 
m
l
January 24, 2013 3:19:44 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
I'm out of ideas :( 

hahah all good ive already tried like a trillion things man :( 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2013 7:02:37 PM

RiverPhoenix said:
see ive heard that before but i honestly dont reckon it is? why wouldnt it be good for gaming?

8 cores, but low clock speed and the bulldozer series just had poor per-core speed anyway.

In a lot of games, a 8120 is worse than a fx-4100 or a Pentium G series:

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2013 7:22:56 PM

Egads. That ain't pretty. On the other hand, another run of benches I saw had it running farily close to a 2500K (4.4 OC) when it was clocked to 4.5.
m
l
January 24, 2013 11:33:50 PM

twelve25 said:
8 cores, but low clock speed and the bulldozer series just had poor per-core speed anyway.

In a lot of games, a 8120 is worse than a fx-4100 or a Pentium G series:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/amd-fx-8120-6100-4100/metro.png

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/amd-fx-8120-6100-4100/farcry.png

so i cant really be bothered buying a new cpu especially an intel because im going to have to buy a new mobo which stuffed hahaha so im just going to OC it to like 4.3 or 4.4 and see hwat happens then what do you think?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2013 11:47:37 PM

Can't hurt...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 5:15:48 AM

Well before you listen to my advice, at least run some monitoring software to find out if your CPU is spiking or not (any of the individual cores) If so, then it just means you need to turn down the settings in games a little bit.
m
l
January 25, 2013 5:21:40 AM

twelve25 said:
Well before you listen to my advice, at least run some monitoring software to find out if your CPU is spiking or not (any of the individual cores) If so, then it just means you need to turn down the settings in games a little bit.

yeah i have it doesnt at at all its weird :/ 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 5:30:09 AM

Well then that takes CPU out of the mix. To be honest, when I first replied I thought you were asking what to buy. I wouldn't buy 8120, but it should still run games well, even if not the best.

Rereading the thread, you have game stutters coinciding with HDD activity. Something else is running on the computer besides your game. Malware or antivirus would be my first guess, but do some investigation.
m
l
January 25, 2013 5:42:54 AM

twelve25 said:
Well then that takes CPU out of the mix. To be honest, when I first replied I thought you were asking what to buy. I wouldn't buy 8120, but it should still run games well, even if not the best.

Rereading the thread, you have game stutters coinciding with HDD activity. Something else is running on the computer besides your game. Malware or antivirus would be my first guess, but do some investigation.

yeah game stutters ive heard about em before, ive checked and there doesnt seem to be anything running in the bacground especially antivirus scanners because i dont have them installed i dont need to because i dont have an internet connection for my desktop?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 2:26:50 PM

RiverPhoenix said:
yeah game stutters ive heard about em before, ive checked and there doesnt seem to be anything running in the bacground especially antivirus scanners because i dont have them installed i dont need to because i dont have an internet connection for my desktop?

It's not possible for you to have hard drive activity with nothing running.

You also said near the top that your lag was both singe player and online, so you must have an internet connection. Check for malware. Use resource monitor to see what program is causing disk I/O

m
l
January 25, 2013 8:43:31 PM

twelve25 said:
It's not possible for you to have hard drive activity with nothing running.

You also said near the top that your lag was both singe player and online, so you must have an internet connection. Check for malware. Use resource monitor to see what program is causing disk I/O

yeah that is true i have internet, i use an ethernet to my laptop but i only use once a blue moon, but i will run a few scans with a couple of malware programs i use :)  ive used resource monitor before but i dont understand it like i know you can select the different fields to monitor ans itshows on the graph but how do you know whats extremely high for that field or its just normal?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 10:25:01 PM

Well under the disk section, just sort by Total B/sec and the one that has some load will be at the top. Just leave it running at alt-tab back when your game gets laggy.
m
l