Hi all,

Following is my configuration

Motherboard - M4A785-M
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE C3
Ram - 8 GB (DDR2 - PC2-6400 (400Mhz)
OS - Vista 64 Ultimate
Video card - HD Radeon 4350
PSU - CORSAIR GS 700 (Brand new)

The motherboard also has an on-board HD Radeon 4200.

The story:

My machine was running fine all this while. I earlier had an Athlon processor (3 years). I finally decided to upgrade to a Phenom processor. The upgrade went fine but the motherboard was throwing PSU spike errors. Also notice the PSU fan was groaning. So I replace the PSU and the spike errors went away.

Finally in windows, I started getting BSOD. Ran the minidump viewer and it indicated the amd drive file. So uninstalled Catalyst, used driver sweep, rebooted twice, reinstalled latest version of catalyst. All went well and system was stable (or seemed so)

Now, when I started playing Diablo III or launched Photo Shop etc, I started getting the 'Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.' messages. After this message, the system display went totally unstable. Pixelations and blackness across the display finally leading to a auto reboot.

If it helps, the overclock settings are on auto in the BIOS. There is no disable option.

CPU temps are fine. I ran prime64 for 30 mins and cpu temp was at 40 all the way. GPU temp went up to 50 when playing Diablo III, before the display went south.

What I tried (and none have helped)

a. Uninstall and install of the graphics drivers

b. Made sure chipset, onboard vga, Lan drivers are all up to date

c. uninstalled the driver, removed the video card, rebooted, installed Radeon driver again to use the onboard display. Same issues.

d. When I boot into safe mode, everything is super stable. No issues at all.

e. flashed the BIOS to the latest version

Next steps

I will call customer support, but they are closed on Sat and Sun (both asus and amd)

I am at my wits end. Any help is appreciated with this issue, which seems to be common with adm and radeon.

updated on Dec 8th @ 11:32 pm

Went to best buy and bought a XFX R6670 2GB DDR Core Edition. Stress tests did not cause the driver issue, but I started playing Diablo III and the problem started. The only diff now is that the driver keeps recovering and does not make the display pixelated, but the freezing-unfreezing continues.

Thank you,
Sainath Kesavan
December 12, 2012 7:01:34 AM

Problem solved !!!

I used an app called Driver Fusion to remove my existing AMD drivers. I had previously used Driver Sweeper, but I guess it did not remove everything. Anyway, after using Driver Fusion twice and rebooting, I installed the latest AMD catalyst setup for the new card. Did not get the error since then.

The Driver Fusion app was suggested by the XFX support team. I had contacted them also with the same problem.

Thanks to all who took the time to read my post and I hope this helps someone.

sainathdk said:
Hi all,

Following is my configuration

Motherboard - M4A785-M
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE C3
Ram - 8 GB (DDR2 - PC2-6400 (400Mhz)
OS - Vista 64 Ultimate
Video card - HD Radeon 4350
PSU - CORSAIR GS 700 (Brand new)

The motherboard also has an on-board HD Radeon 4200.

The story:

My machine was running fine all this while. I earlier had an Athlon processor (3 years). I finally decided to upgrade to a Phenom processor. The upgrade went fine but the motherboard was throwing PSU spike errors. Also notice the PSU fan was groaning. So I replace the PSU and the spike errors went away.

Finally in windows, I started getting BSOD. Ran the minidump viewer and it indicated the amd drive file. So uninstalled Catalyst, used driver sweep, rebooted twice, reinstalled latest version of catalyst. All went well and system was stable (or seemed so)

Now, when I started playing Diablo III or launched Photo Shop etc, I started getting the 'Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.' messages. After this message, the system display went totally unstable. Pixelations and blackness across the display finally leading to a auto reboot.

If it helps, the overclock settings are on auto in the BIOS. There is no disable option.

CPU temps are fine. I ran prime64 for 30 mins and cpu temp was at 40 all the way. GPU temp went up to 50 when playing Diablo III, before the display went south.

What I tried (and none have helped)

a. Uninstall and install of the graphics drivers

b. Made sure chipset, onboard vga, Lan drivers are all up to date

c. uninstalled the driver, removed the video card, rebooted, installed Radeon driver again to use the onboard display. Same issues.

d. When I boot into safe mode, everything is super stable. No issues at all.

e. flashed the BIOS to the latest version

Next steps

I will call customer support, but they are closed on Sat and Sun (both asus and amd)

I am at my wits end. Any help is appreciated with this issue, which seems to be common with adm and radeon.

updated on Dec 8th @ 11:32 pm

Went to best buy and bought a XFX R6670 2GB DDR Core Edition. Stress tests did not cause the driver issue, but I started playing Diablo III and the problem started. The only diff now is that the driver keeps recovering and does not make the display pixelated, but the freezing-unfreezing continues.

Thank you,
Sainath Kesavan

m
l
Related resources
!