Sign in with
Your question

Setting up PC

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2013 3:30:20 PM

Hi guys,

Just starting to get the parts through for my PC. I have the Fractal Design R4 case and i saw a review video online and they had the front fan at the top, but it comes with the fan defaulted at the bottom, will it matter which way round i have this fan....think i will get another fan at some point, but thought i would see what the temps were like as it is sold.

Cheers

Mark

More about : setting

a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 3:33:02 PM

it doesnt matter

you can try mix-match fan combination to balance airflow :) 

input == output

and slightly let more air from input
January 23, 2013 3:44:28 PM

Thanks! cant wait for the other parts to turn up and get on with the build, currently have the case, GPU and CPU, hopefully everything else will turn up tomorrow! Will i need to setup fan profiles in the bios?
Related resources
January 23, 2013 3:54:36 PM

Just realised something, the DVD drive i have did not come with a sata connection, do you think i will need to buy one, my build is going to be:

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/z9mM
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 3:57:45 PM

wait... no Fractal Design R4 case?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 4:10:12 PM

great build :D 

btw have you done a deep research for 670 brand? some have great OC potential. some event cant be OCed at all

i am no expert on 670 :)  i heard gigabyte windforce is popular choice. you have to google it anyway
January 23, 2013 4:17:09 PM

Had a look around, but as the PC is going to be in my lounge i wanted it as quiet as possible. Tomshardware seemed to say this was pretty good, but i really wanted the MSI PE edition, but no one has any in stock, so i went for the ASUS, hopefully should be pretty good though!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 5:21:04 PM

I'd try the stock fan setup, see how it goes, and adjust only if necessary.

Definely have to set fans in the bios. It is loud on default. I set it as low as it would go with a target of 60C. Never hear the CPU spin up, just the GPU.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 6:05:05 PM

Looks like a good build. And defiantly go with the stock setup
January 23, 2013 7:45:59 PM

Thanks all, will see how i go with the stock setting and adjust from there!

Does anyone know about the sata cable for the dvd writer (I am hoping that the motherboard will come with a few cables for the dvd drive, the SSD and the hard drive)?
January 25, 2013 7:20:02 PM

Hi again,

I have now completed the build!! :)  I have gone with the stock setup as advised, im not too sure about how i should set up a fan profile - any suggestions?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2013 10:13:51 PM

Is it loud? If so, go into the bios to the h/w monitor tab and set cpu fan to auto, 60c, and level 1. I also tied my rear fan to the cpu 2 header so they spin up together if needed.
January 25, 2013 10:35:04 PM

Ahh, that is brilliant!! A lot quieter! I can see that you have overclocked your i5, i have been looking around and saw a thread talkng about using intel extreme utility, but when i tried to install this, it said the system wasn't compatible - do i need to do all overclocking in the bios? (How??) Thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2013 10:37:56 PM

Yep - in the bios. If you want to keep it simple, dont adjust anything except the multiplier (in my case, to 41).
January 25, 2013 10:51:03 PM

i am probably being really stupid, but i cant see a multiplier in the bios - would it be load optimized cpu oc setting?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 26, 2013 11:39:11 AM

Oc tweaker tab, all core (this is your multiplier)
January 29, 2013 11:02:21 AM

All sorted now!! Thought i would set to 4.1 as shouldnt need anymore for the time being!!

Thanks for your help!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 29, 2013 12:43:45 PM

Congrats :) 
!