Sign in with
Your question

Mixed Memory Sizes

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Crucial
Last response: in Memory
January 18, 2002 1:54:26 PM

I've been reading the questions and answers on the community for about a year now and finally decided to join in.
I have a question about mixing the sizes of memory.
I am running with 2 sticks of Crucial 256Mb PC2100 DDR memory on an ASUS A7V-266E motherboard. Can I add another stick of Crucial 512Mb PC2100 DDR to get a total of 1Gb?
I suspect this question has been answered somewhere before, but since I only have a 56Kb modem connection to the internet I'm not realy able to check all the page here on Tom's.
Thanks folks.

Old but not so wise.

More about : mixed memory sizes

January 19, 2002 8:03:21 AM

I don't know if your mobo supports 3 sticks of unregristed (or something) memory, but in theory you can mix different memory sizes. But be aware that Windows98 will not accept more then 512MB.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
January 19, 2002 1:52:21 PM

svol;
Thanks for the reply.
I am using unregistered mem. Running Win XP and the mobo supports up to 3Gb of mem according to the manual. HOwever what the manual did not say is if the memory sizes could be different in each slot. I though I'ed ask before I spent $170 + for another 512Mb.

Thanks again. I'll be putting in my order in this morning.

Old but not so wise.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 19, 2002 2:33:50 PM

you can use 1 GB of ram with win xp

Can anyone teach me how to overclock time? I need more of it for 2002!
January 19, 2002 3:56:24 PM

svol: <font color=green>"But be aware that Windows98 will not accept more then 512MB"</font color=green>

That's not exactly true. There's not much in the way of performance benefits if you add large amounts of memory to the board while running Win9x, but it can <i>accept</i> more memory than 512MB with some manual changes made to the system.ini file.

taikin: <font color=green>"you can use 1 GB of ram with win xp."</font color=green> That's essentially correct. But that's not the upper limit.

All 32-bit Windows versions, including Win9x, WinNT, Win2K and WinXP (apart from Win2K/WinXP AS and DC) can <i>address</i> up to 4GB of RAM.

Win95, Win98, Win98SE and WinME can only physically <i>access</i> a maximum of 2GB of RAM.

But ... WinMe and Win98 are not designed to handle more than 1GB of RAM. More than 1GB can lead to potential system instability. <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q304943" target="_new">Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM (Q304943)</A>

I can provide additional links and extra information on the subject if you guys wish to check it out.

Sorry about adding the corrections, (no offense intended) but ... knowledge shared is knowledge gained. That's how I look at it, anyhow.

See ya ...

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>
January 20, 2002 8:04:16 AM

Thanks, I did know that you are able to use 512MB in Windows98 but then you need to tweak the the system files like you said, and I don't recommend doing that if you're sort of a 'newbie' to that subject.
Thanks for the info, another thing learned.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
Anonymous
a b } Memory
January 20, 2002 10:47:27 AM

yea i know no offence Toejam. Thanks for your new information though.

Can anyone teach me how to overclock time? I need more of it for 2002!
!