Back of gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So today i decided to switch my ram to different slots and while i was making sure that the ram is seated properly, i flicked by finger and a tiny circular sticker fell from the back of the gpu probably along with some other tiny object (because I heard something tiny hitting something). I hooked my computer back up and everything seems to be running just fine, but I am still paranoid/concerned of what that tiny object could have been or if it mattered that this tiny sticker was removed. It was a very soft flick and I was surprised that the back of the gpu could have been that sensitive, anyway, I just wanted to know if there is anything I could do to make sure that the gpu is fine and was not damaged. I have the gtx680 btw.

Solution
If you broke something important, it wouldn't work. Any of those small caps on the back (the things like C608) that are brown on both ends, are small and I doubt that if you knocked one off, you would even hear it hit. They are very light. If by somehow, you did knock one off, it's not an important one because your card still runs and unless you are expert solderer, they are very hard to reattach anyways.
I highly doubt you actually knocked anything like a resistor or capacitor as they are soldered on and maybe was something else that sounded like something hitting. If you didn't shake your PC out over a clean surface to see if anything fell off, or examine and look for a small cap or res, then you'll never know but a surface mount cap or resistor, you wouldn't hear anyways more than likely. They are so small and lightweight, you can't really hear them if they fall.

G

The one picture of the back that they show here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127672
I tried to compare this with mine, and one thing i noticed is that the six silver circles on the far upper left side of the card are less silver than mine except one of them in the middle. Also the farthest two silver circles that are part of the group of 14 next to the group of six silver circles are also much less silver than they are in the pick. I also kinda touched them and they aren't as pointy. That is kind of the only thing i noticed.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
pointy silver circles, huh? I would probably just leave well enough alone seeing as how all seems to be working normally. If you in fact lost a resistor it is unlikely to hurt your card unless you are overvolting or overclocking it and it is already on the ragged edge.

G

Brand, yes. Model, I'm not 100% sure. Think I'll have to remove the white sticker in the back of the card to find that out which I will not do. Some numbers in the back of the card are different from the numbers shown in the picture though so it probably isn't the same model. @Warezme its not like I'm planning to mess with it later. This all started because of an accident and I simply wanted to know if I broke something or not.

If you broke something important, it wouldn't work. Any of those small caps on the back (the things like C608) that are brown on both ends, are small and I doubt that if you knocked one off, you would even hear it hit. They are very light. If by somehow, you did knock one off, it's not an important one because your card still runs and unless you are expert solderer, they are very hard to reattach anyways.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.