New computer turned off and will not turn back on

Bigshippower

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
I built the computer about two weeks ago and everything went perfectly, but last night I left my computer to finish downloading something. When i woke up the computer was off and it would not turn back on. No fans or nothing will come on. I do not think it is the power supply because the light on my video card are on but i could be wrong. I have not tried anything yet but i have an old power supply I will use. Everything but the video card, hard drive, and dvd rom drive is brand new. What could possibly be wrong.

The specs are:
i5 3570k
8gb g.skill ram
Asus gtx 560 (not TI)
Asrock z77 pro3
600w corsair power supply
If there is anything else that could be helpful let me know.

dragonlord12832

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Do you have surge protection? I hope that it is the power supply because if it isn't you could be looking at a dead CPU/Motherboard/Both. Disconnect all the non-essentials. (Hard drive, optical drives, and video card (assuming integrated graphics), then try to power it on again. If that fails, use your old PSU and keep the non-essentials unhooked. If that fails then my assumption would be that your CPU fan stopped running during the night and your CPU/motherboard fried as a result.

Bigshippower

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Yes I have a surge protector. I unhooked everything and tried it and nothing. I also just noticed my old power supply's CPU cord is only a 4-pin so while I am in town tomorrow I will pick up some paperclips and try that test. At least everything is under warranty.

JMer806

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Sounds like the PSU. This is a given, but make sure everything is securely plugged in. Also smell the PSU to see if it has a strange burnt odor.

If you can test it with a different PSU, I would definitely do it.