Sign in with
Your question

7990 for XMAS....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 5:07:42 PM

Hi All :) 

I don't normally ask questions, as I normally know the answers lol... but....

I run 1100T`s and my current graphic cards are a pair of the rare 5870 2 gb versions in crossfire....

I only ever play FPS and have just finished BLOPS (not very good) and am about to start Far Cry 3...

I have decided to treat myself to an early Xmas present of a Power Colour 7990...(the 6gb version)

I did consider a pair in crossfire, but decided to try one first....

The question is... do you think I will NEED the second one or not ?

All the best Brett :) 

More about : 7990 xmas

a c 185 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 5:16:56 PM

No i don't think you will need a second one.I think one would be fine for even three monitor set up lol.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 5:24:09 PM

bigcyco1 said:
No i don't think you will need a second one.I think one would be fine for even three monitor set up lol.

Hi :) 

Thanks for the opinion, its appreciated...

They are not exactly cheap, and I have also ordered a new 850 OCZ PSU to replace my 550 as well...

I suspect I will not need the second one soon, but with games advancing so fast , I may need a second within a year or so...(assuming they are still available)

Related resources
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 5:44:37 PM

No problem.Your welcome!I agree with your assumption. :) 
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 5:44:53 PM

What resolution?
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 5:57:07 PM

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics...

As you can see, with ONLY X2 MSAA, you will be seeing 57 FPS. Note that Radeon's drivers don't do well with crossfire. And if you up it to X8 MSAA you will be looking at about 34 FPS. You may want to consider 690, for that will give you a cool 80 FPS at X2 MSAA and about 47 FPS in X8 MSAA.

a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 6:09:01 PM

babernet_1 said:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics...

As you can see, with ONLY X2 MSAA, you will be seeing 57 FPS. Note that Radeon's drivers don't do well with crossfire. And if you up it to X8 MSAA you will be looking at about 34 FPS. You may want to consider 690, for that will give you a cool 80 FPS at X2 MSAA and about 47 FPS in X8 MSAA.

That review uses a 6990 not a 7990.

Toms did a review a little while back about the 7990. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devi...

I cant seem to find a review where 2 x 7990s are used in crossfire.

Right now unless your running 6 monitors or 3 120 hz monitors, you wont need 2 of them. By the time new more demanding games come out, I would think the new gen vid cards will be out as well. I would save your money and upgrade when you need to.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 6:59:43 PM

Sooth1 said:
What resolution?

I usually game at 1920x1080 on a 24 inch IIYAMA...

a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 7:04:24 PM

One 7970 is all you will need. If you don't plan to OC, then get a Ghz model.
Sapphire has a great card.

a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 7:09:36 PM

Embra said:
One 7970 is all you will need. If you don't plan to OC, then get a Ghz model.
Sapphire has a great card.

I think you misread... its a 7990 we are talking about not a 7970...

a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 7:10:15 PM

I would agree with Embra, at that res, a 7990 is overkill. If you're looking to futureproof, that may not be the best way to go. You can get one 7970 now, and upgrade to the new gen when it comes out if you need more power.

It's another thing if you just want bragging rights and crazy high framrates that wont make a difference on a 60 hz monitor. If you do, go for it. I definately wouldn't get 2 though.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 7:11:47 PM

I understand that. I am recommending a 7970 over a 7990. Your cpu will be a bottleneck unless greatly OCed and you will max most any game with just one 7970 ghz.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 7:14:07 PM

With the money you save with a 7970, you could buy a I5 3770k and nice Mobo if you like.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 7:18:50 PM

Embra said:
With the money you save with a 7970, you could buy a I5 3770k and nice Mobo if you like.

I run an 1100T... ITS NOT GOING TO BOTTLENECK any gpu....(currently released)

It beats a lot of I5 Benchmarks and some i7s...

And in BF3 which uses as many true cores as it can find, it beats most cpus...

a c 185 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 7:21:24 PM

I think what he is asking is for everybody to stick to the topic and his questions hes not asking for different card recommendations or about replacing his cpu.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 7:22:46 PM

Second, is there any debate?
a c 185 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 7:39:16 PM

Lol! Does anyone know what Brett does for a living ? I do.Hes probably getting frustrated or laughing at all this hahaha!
December 8, 2012 7:42:11 PM

x3 to getting a 7970 GHZ. With the money you save, you could get a tidy 512 GB SSD or save the money for a new ____ down the road. A 7990 would just be overkill for one 1080p monitor. I've got a 7970M and it maxes out BO2 and every other game I've played at 60 FPS, top settings. I realize that a 7970 may not be what you are looking for; however, I agree with ^^^ in saying that unless you are going for bragging rights.

As for microstuttering, I've heard that Radeon Pro does a good job of removing it.
http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

Proof:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devi...
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 8:00:52 PM

This is what I recommend you read. After that if you don't mind the coil whine you will have and like the benchmarks then I say go for it.

As for you needing the second card, I'm going to say not. The reasoning is your old pair of cards have lasted you about two or three years. Now those weren't even the top model and this is. So if you didn't mind using those for a few years then this 7990 should hold up even better.
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 8:01:44 PM

He already has the 7990, didn't read that, no he will not need the second, if he's a benchmarker or a person with good economic means, i'd spend latter on in a i7-3930k and a lga 2011 mobo, and not in another 7990.
I'd go with that and a tri-sli of 680 gtx 4GB evga classified or hydro copper (for water cooling).
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 8:17:03 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Lol! Does anyone know what Brett does for a living ? I do.Hes probably getting frustrated or laughing at all this hahaha!

I don't think most do know lol :) 

Although as a person who usually ANSWERS threads this has been a bit of an eye opener for me....

The "get an i5 and a new motherboard" thing from Intel users who don't quite realise how powerful an 1100T is...

I suspect its pure brand loyalty, even if it is wrong...

At the moment i am praying the "why don't you use water-cooling and overclock" bunch don't join this thread or we would have the full set lol :) 

a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 8:35:51 PM

You should use water cooling and overclock!
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 8:44:21 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I usually game at 1920x1080 on a 24 inch IIYAMA...

Your thing about Quad-Fire for 1080p?
Your an expert, are you playing a prank?
December 8, 2012 9:06:57 PM

If you're getting a dual GPU card you should really consider a 690 over a 7990. The 7990s are power whores and have bad micro-stuttering.

If you're getting a single GPU card, a 7970 will manage just fine at 1080p with any current title.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 9:09:49 PM

Swolern said:
Your thing about Quad-Fire for 1080p?
Your an expert, are you playing a prank?

No prank.... i actually said...I "usually" play on a single monitor.... I also have two more identical monitors which I play on as a triple set up but only rarely..

December 8, 2012 9:13:08 PM

djangoringo said:
He already has the 7990, didn't read that

ooh disregard what i said about the 690 then -_-
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 9:23:49 PM

You could get a 7970 and tri fire with the 7990 couldnt you?
December 8, 2012 9:48:14 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi All :) 

I don't normally ask questions, as I normally know the answers lol... but....

I run 1100T`s and my current graphic cards are a pair of the rare 5870 2 gb versions in crossfire....

I only ever play FPS and have just finished BLOPS (not very good) and am about to start Far Cry 3...

I have decided to treat myself to an early Xmas present of a Power Colour 7990...(the 6gb version)

I did consider a pair in crossfire, but decided to try one first....

The question is... do you think I will NEED the second one or not ?

No you will not need a second one for a single monitor, 3 monitors, debatable. But if money isn't a issue I say get it anyway! And it will make your internet YOLO SWAG lvl crazy!!
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 9:57:41 PM

A 7990 is going to run everything flawless at 1920x1080 and pretty much everything else near flawless at 5760x1080

I don't think a 2nd 7990 is going to be needed
Plus a 2nd 7990 would lead you into Quadfire territory that usually has more problems then its worth (been there with my last setup with 2x 5970's.) If u need more power get a 7970 and Go tri-fire
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 9:58:21 PM

austinwillis81 said:
No you will not need a second one for a single monitor, 3 monitors, debatable. But if money isn't a issue I say get it anyway! And it will make your internet YOLO SWAG lvl crazy!!

Although I didn't understand your last four words lol (I am ancient) , you have a point....

I think the question, I SHOULD have asked was...has anyone run twin 7990`s ?

I looked for a review and couldn't find one....

So I bought one and may buy another, but now or in the future is probably a better question?

a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 10:03:01 PM

In the future. You wont need 2x 7990 right now. One 7990 Will do pretty good in games. So later when you will notice the lack of performance get the second one.

But just saying time is NOT now !

Good Luck !
Anonymous
December 8, 2012 10:12:30 PM

Plus that 850watt aint gonna cut 2 7990s either. You're gonna need around 13-1400 for those powerhogs.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 10:14:43 PM

Anonymous said:
Plus that 850watt aint gonna cut 2 7990s either. You're gonna need around 13-1400 for those powerhogs.

+1

a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 10:15:25 PM

Anonymous said:

Yes. I thought about that but couldn't see the point of a giant psu ,at least while I still only have one...

December 8, 2012 10:17:20 PM

I think you are going to be a happy man for quite a wee while....you lucky #£%..er...chap...lol. You could get the second and give it to me. Then I will be happy too :) 
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 10:21:40 PM

If anyone was wondering what Brett does for a living, he owns a computer shop (or several, I forgot :lol:  )

Anyways to actually contribute to this thread I heard the HD 7990 powercolour Devil 13 video card emits quite the noise for coil whine. All the high end cards there do, but the HD 7990 is kind of the loudest.

Listen for yourself:
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 10:25:07 PM

socialfox said:
If anyone was wondering what Brett does for a living, he owns a computer shop (or several, I forgot :lol:  )

Anyways to actually contribute to this thread I heard the HD 7990 powercolour Devil 13 video card emits quite the noise for coil whine. All the high end cards there do, but the HD 7990 is kind of the loudest.

Listen for yourself:

Well that 690 is great. The coil whine is terrible and the HIS sounds like a jet taking off !

Edit : ANW he already bought it !
December 8, 2012 10:27:16 PM

Brett I am sure you know all this mentioned, and nothing I can say will be new to you but what are your needs exactly? Because if it's gaming @ 1080p of course a second one is not needed. If you want to f@h/crunch or just try the pain in the ass that is quadfire then I say go for it, but need is such a strong word...
BTW ... YOLO - you only live once
SWAG - just overall coolness factor
December 8, 2012 10:36:00 PM

Hi Brett,

Myself running quadfire 7970ghzs. I hardly ever see the 4th card come under stress. I check by touching the heatsinks!! Not a fan of partner exclusive cards either. Can always run into compatibility and app profiles issues with them. If you have money to throw get the 4 core setup- nothing really uses it very well however. Or you could save money for 6 months down the line.

LiquidAMD.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 10:36:41 PM

socialfox said:

Listen for yourself:

Its several computer shops plus a laptop repair company...lol

Regarding the noise, it doesn't actually matter much to me as my hearing was damaged years ago and I have around 20% less hearing than most people, particularly for high pitched noise....

I recently bought a new watch , and it has a high pitched electronic alarm, which I cannot hear unless I put it in my ear lol...everyone can hear the alarm except me hehe.. :) 

a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 10:38:21 PM

Caspase said:
Brett I am sure you know all this mentioned, and nothing I can say will be new to you but what are your needs exactly? Because if it's gaming @ 1080p of course a second one is not needed. If you want to f@h/crunch or just try the pain in the ass that is quadfire then I say go for it, but need is such a strong word...
BTW ... YOLO - you only live once
SWAG - just overall coolness factor

Thats a very good point...I run SETI on all my machines and am just outside the top 200 in the UK....I never even thought about that... it will run a LOT more UNITS than all my other machines :)  Thanks :) 

December 8, 2012 10:51:36 PM

prototype18 said:
In the future. You wont need 2x 7990 right now. One 7990 Will do pretty good in games. So later when you will notice the lack of performance get the second one.

But just saying time is NOT now !

Good Luck !

Or, sell the 7970 and get an 8970.
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 10:54:46 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Yes. I thought about that but couldn't see the point of a giant psu ,at least while I still only have one...

brett that is such the best recommendation, even if it was to yourself.

so many people suggest getting way too big of a PSU for a "future upgrade" of a second card, which may never happen, when they fail to consider how efficiency take a nose dive under 20% load (when the system is idle).

so the OP spends money on a bronze, silver, gold rated PSU that won't even get 80+ and ends up being wasted.

cheers to you!
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 10:55:08 PM

A Bad Day said:
Or, sell the 7970 and get an 8970.

Its a 7990 but I did think about waiting for the 8000 series, but i might have had to wait a long time lol...

December 8, 2012 11:01:27 PM

I say get the other 7990 and a more powerful PSU down the road, maybe next year.
December 8, 2012 11:02:46 PM

Are you here to ask a question or do you want someone just to confirm that you "need" another 7990?
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 11:20:03 PM

Hey Brett, how much did you buy the HD 7990 for? I can't seem to find anywhere that's selling it in my area. Not that I want one myself, I could only afford it after I sell my Kidneys :lol:  (Just joking, but anyone hear that article on Tom's where this guy in China sold his kidney to buy some Apple devices? )

Edit: Found that article I mentioned
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Ipad-2-Anhui-kidney-black-m...
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 11:26:51 PM

bigcyco1 said:

Doesn't matter what he does for a living. Irrelevant.

Brett928S2 said:

I don't think most do know lol :) 

Although as a person who usually ANSWERS threads this has been a bit of an eye opener for me....

The "get an i5 and a new motherboard" thing from Intel users who don't quite realise how powerful an 1100T is...

I suspect its pure brand loyalty, even if it is wrong...

At the moment i am praying the "why don't you use water-cooling and overclock" bunch don't join this thread or we would have the full set lol :) 

Actually your 1100T will bottleneck a dual 7990 setup and quite badly at that. Heck a single 7990 will be bottlenecked on your 1100T at the resolution you game (1920x1080).

I don't care what you do for a living that's just a fact.

Brett928S2 said:

I run an 1100T... ITS NOT GOING TO BOTTLENECK any gpu....(currently released)

It beats a lot of I5 Benchmarks and some i7s...

And in BF3 which uses as many true cores as it can find, it beats most cpus...

Blah blah blah just another excuse to throw in the AMD rules line this whole thread was bait to begin with. An admin should lock it. How do I know?

Well either you made this thread to gloat or for no reason at all then to flame bait. It is clear by the fact that you're not looking for answers or recommendations based on the resolution you game at etc. Heck even your question of using two 7990s was replied to in the proper manner (the resolution you game at is far too low to benefit and your CPU will be a bottleneck).

Facts.
!