D70 question

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 17, 2005 1:18:38 AM

I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how many
pictures the camera has taken in total?

Thanks in advance,
Nicholas

More about : d70 question

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 5:56:05 AM

Nicholas Wittebol <nicholas.wittebol@rogers.com> wrote:

> I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how many
> pictures the camera has taken in total?

If you can take a picture using the camera, in RAW format, the resulting
NEF file will contain a field in the MakerNotes called ShutterCount, and
that will contain the total number of shots taken, even if the file
numbering sequence has been reset.

I don't see any way to get to that field in Photoshop, but ExifTool will
read it.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

In article <11g569ldnubef78@corp.supernews.com>,
Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:
>Nicholas Wittebol <nicholas.wittebol@rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how many
>> pictures the camera has taken in total?
>
>If you can take a picture using the camera, in RAW format, the resulting
>NEF file will contain a field in the MakerNotes called ShutterCount, and
>that will contain the total number of shots taken, even if the file
>numbering sequence has been reset.
>
>I don't see any way to get to that field in Photoshop, but ExifTool will
>read it.

Exiftool will also extract it from JPEGs as well as the NEF
files.

I'm wondering how much luck you will have in finding a used D70,
however. Let us know how that goes.

Good Luck,
Don.

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 4:17:36 PM

Nicholas Wittebol wrote:
> I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how
> many pictures the camera has taken in total?

A small program here:

http://www.cs.ust.hk/cssystem/henry/d70/d70count.html

Will display the count from a D70 or D70S by opening a JPEG
from the camera. It does not work on NEFs.

-Mike
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 6:52:47 PM

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
> [...] a field in the MakerNotes called ShutterCount,[...]

> I don't see any way to get to that field in Photoshop, but ExifTool will
> read it.

Interesting comment. I don't know how to get to _any_ EXIF fields in
Photoshop (the latest version I have is CS) and the abbreviation "EXIF"
is conspicuously absent from its help index, so I am at a total loss as
to whether this is possible at all.

Am I correct in surmising that you indeed can get to several other EXIF
fields in Photoshop, and, if so, would you mind telling me how to do
it?

Jan Böhme
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:02:15 AM

Jan Böhme <jan.bohme@sh.se> wrote:

> Interesting comment. I don't know how to get to _any_ EXIF fields in
> Photoshop (the latest version I have is CS) and the abbreviation "EXIF"
> is conspicuously absent from its help index, so I am at a total loss as
> to whether this is possible at all.
>
> Am I correct in surmising that you indeed can get to several other EXIF
> fields in Photoshop, and, if so, would you mind telling me how to do
> it?

Wouldn't mind at all. :)  If you go to "File Info", which is under the File
menu on the Mac version at least, you'll get a multi-panel info box where
you can view, and edit where applicable, the image metadata, including
EXIF (read-only), IPTC, XMP, etc. But not MakerNotes, apparently.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
> Jan Böhme <jan.bohme@sh.se> wrote:
>

>>Interesting comment. I don't know how to get to _any_ EXIF fields in
>>Photoshop (the latest version I have is CS) and the abbreviation "EXIF"
>>is conspicuously absent from its help index, so I am at a total loss as
>>to whether this is possible at all.
>>
>>Am I correct in surmising that you indeed can get to several other EXIF
>>fields in Photoshop, and, if so, would you mind telling me how to do
>>it?
>

> Wouldn't mind at all. :)  If you go to "File Info", which is under the File
> menu on the Mac version at least, you'll get a multi-panel info box where
> you can view, and edit where applicable, the image metadata, including
> EXIF (read-only), IPTC, XMP, etc. But not MakerNotes, apparently.

The File Browser in CS is another, perhaps more convenient way to view a
lot of EXIF data, and make your own notations if you like, esp. if you
are view a lot of images and want to peek at the data.

MakerNotes not apparent therein, nor does Edit history record for me.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

In article <11g7cv7av1doge5@corp.supernews.com>,
Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:

> Jan Böhme <jan.bohme@sh.se> wrote:
>
> > Interesting comment. I don't know how to get to _any_ EXIF fields in
> > Photoshop (the latest version I have is CS) and the abbreviation "EXIF"
> > is conspicuously absent from its help index, so I am at a total loss as
> > to whether this is possible at all.
> >
> > Am I correct in surmising that you indeed can get to several other EXIF
> > fields in Photoshop, and, if so, would you mind telling me how to do
> > it?
>
> Wouldn't mind at all. :)  If you go to "File Info", which is under the File
> menu on the Mac version at least, you'll get a multi-panel info box where
> you can view, and edit where applicable, the image metadata, including
> EXIF (read-only), IPTC, XMP, etc. But not MakerNotes, apparently.

That feature is apparently not available in Photoshop Elements 3.

Merritt
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 7:41:51 AM

Merritt Mullen wrote:
> In article <11g7cv7av1doge5@corp.supernews.com>,
> Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:
>

>>Jan Böhme <jan.bohme@sh.se> wrote:
>>

>>>Interesting comment. I don't know how to get to _any_ EXIF fields in
>>>Photoshop (the latest version I have is CS) and the abbreviation "EXIF"
>>>is conspicuously absent from its help index, so I am at a total loss as
>>>to whether this is possible at all.
>>>
>>>Am I correct in surmising that you indeed can get to several other EXIF
>>>fields in Photoshop, and, if so, would you mind telling me how to do
>>>it?
>>
>>Wouldn't mind at all. :)  If you go to "File Info", which is under the File
>>menu on the Mac version at least, you'll get a multi-panel info box where
>>you can view, and edit where applicable, the image metadata, including
>>EXIF (read-only), IPTC, XMP, etc. But not MakerNotes, apparently.
>

> That feature is apparently not available in Photoshop Elements 3.

Are you referring to PSE 3's ability to show any EXIF data, or just
MakerNotes and History of edits?

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:17:36 +1000, Mike Warren wrote:

> Nicholas Wittebol wrote:
>> I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how many
>> pictures the camera has taken in total?
>
> A small program here:
>
> http://www.cs.ust.hk/cssystem/henry/d70/d70count.html
>
> Will display the count from a D70 or D70S by opening a JPEG from the
> camera. It does not work on NEFs.
>
> -Mike

Hey! That's a very cool program! Thanks for posting the link.

--
Save photography | shoot some film today!

email: drop rods and insert surfaces
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 9:45:23 PM

DoN. Nichols wrote:

> In article <11g569ldnubef78@corp.supernews.com>,
> Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:
>
>>Nicholas Wittebol <nicholas.wittebol@rogers.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how many
>>>pictures the camera has taken in total?

> I'm wondering how much luck you will have in finding a used D70,
> however. Let us know how that goes.
>
> Good Luck,
> Don.

It's all in knowing where to look. Found one in about 10 seconds.

What's the difference between a D70 and a D70s? The site I went to lists
both.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 2:08:08 AM

In article <11ga0kb32lc8lbc@news.supernews.com>,
no one <noone@nowhere.nohow.invalid> wrote:
>DoN. Nichols wrote:
>
>> In article <11g569ldnubef78@corp.supernews.com>,
>> Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:

>> I'm wondering how much luck you will have in finding a used D70,
>> however. Let us know how that goes.

[ ... ]

>It's all in knowing where to look. Found one in about 10 seconds.

O.K. I haven't been looking, so of course I did not find one.

>What's the difference between a D70 and a D70s? The site I went to lists
>both.

D70s is a later version of essentially the same camera:

1) The LCD display is larger (2" instead of 1.5"0

2) Enhanced autofocus mode (available for the D70 with the free
download of the updated firmware).

3) Different colors in the menus making them somewhat more
readable plus a few extra options (also available for the D70
with the new firmware).

4) A connector for a direct wired remote control, to be used in
addition to the wireless remote which the D70 has.

5) ?? I may have forgotten something.

Only items (1) and (4) above cannot be added to the D70 with the
firmware upgrade, as they are truly hardware upgrades.

Enjoy,
DoN.
August 19, 2005 5:53:57 AM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:18:38 -0400, Nicholas Wittebol
<nicholas.wittebol@rogers.com> wrote:

>I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how many
>pictures the camera has taken in total?
>
>Thanks in advance,

The short answer is no! At least not with any reliability
The next longer answer is ... well, maybe if the previous owner had
the sequential numbering of images turned on for all the images they
shot.

There appear to be a lot of people telling you where to find the data,
unfortunately no one seems to remember the sequential counter can be
turned on or off so what you see as the image number may, or may not
represent the number of images shot with the D-70.

If you choose, it can be set up to count images just like it's done on
film, per roll, or in this case per memory module. Shoot a bunch,
move them to the computer and it'll start over at 1 again.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>Nicholas
Roger
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 8:25:56 AM

In article <6f2dnZ2dnZ2oJkagnZ2dnWKRmd6dnZ2dRVn-052dnZ0@comcast.com>,
John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

> Merritt Mullen wrote:
> > In article <11g7cv7av1doge5@corp.supernews.com>,
> > Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:

> >>Wouldn't mind at all. :)  If you go to "File Info", which is under the File
> >>menu on the Mac version at least, you'll get a multi-panel info box where
> >>you can view, and edit where applicable, the image metadata, including
> >>EXIF (read-only), IPTC, XMP, etc. But not MakerNotes, apparently.
> >

> > That feature is apparently not available in Photoshop Elements 3.
> >
> Are you referring to PSE 3's ability to show any EXIF data, or just
> MakerNotes and History of edits?

Any EXIF data. I have both PS CS and PSE3, and can find the EXIF date in
PS CS (under "File Info"), but not in PSE3 (Mac). Am I overlooking
something?

Merritt
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 11:31:40 AM

Roger <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote:

> There appear to be a lot of people telling you where to find the data,
> unfortunately no one seems to remember the sequential counter can be
> turned on or off so what you see as the image number may, or may not
> represent the number of images shot with the D-70.

ShutterCount does not reset with the file numbering.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

Merritt Mullen wrote:
> In article <6f2dnZ2dnZ2oJkagnZ2dnWKRmd6dnZ2dRVn-052dnZ0@comcast.com>,
> John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Merritt Mullen wrote:

>>>That feature is apparently not available in Photoshop Elements 3.
>>>

>>Are you referring to PSE 3's ability to show any EXIF data, or just
>>MakerNotes and History of edits?
>

> Any EXIF data. I have both PS CS and PSE3, and can find the EXIF date in
> PS CS (under "File Info"), but not in PSE3 (Mac). Am I overlooking
> something?

I don't know! I don't even know if Elements has a browser similar to
CS's. As mentioned, the browser's wehre I do most of my EXIF reviewing.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

Roger wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:18:38 -0400, Nicholas Wittebol
> <nicholas.wittebol@rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> I am looking at buying a used D70, is there any way I can tell how
>> many pictures the camera has taken in total?

> The short answer is no! At least not with any reliability
> The next longer answer is ... well, maybe if the previous owner had
> the sequential numbering of images turned on for all the images they
> shot.
>
> There appear to be a lot of people telling you where to find the data,
> unfortunately no one seems to remember the sequential counter can be
> turned on or off so what you see as the image number may, or may not
> represent the number of images shot with the D-70.
>
> If you choose, it can be set up to count images just like it's done on
> film, per roll, or in this case per memory module. Shoot a bunch,
> move them to the computer and it'll start over at 1 again.

Ok. Since the OP hasn't been back this is for the benefit of
others.

I have just taken 4 pictures with a D70S. For the first 2 pictures the
menu item "File No. Seq." was set to "On" and for the next 2 set to
"Off" .

The shutter count number retrieved by d70count.exe incremented
for each shot. 2142, 2143, 2144, 2145.

I then checked using ExifViewer from http://www.amarra.de/exif_uk.htm
and the value in the field called "Pictures (total)" reported the same
values d70count reported.

-Mike
!