NVIDIA Display Settings Are Not Available

Cruckshank

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Okay, so I recently purchased a new computer: http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=d006614&model_id=inspiron-660&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

The specs are:
Windows 8 64bit
Intel® Core™ i3-2130 Processor (3.40GHz, 3MB)
NVIDIA® GeForce GT 620 1GB graphics card
1TB Serial ATA (7.200 Rpm) Hard Drive
6GB Ram

So, both my Intel HD and NVIDIA card appear to be enabled when I ran 'dxdiag'; drivers were up to date. When I ran Skyrim, Intel HD was the only one I was allowed to select. I then tried to open NVIDIA control panel and got the error: "NVIDIA Display Settings are not available: You are not currently using a display attached to an INVIDIA GPU".

How can I fix this..? I haven't used it before, I've only had this computer for 3 days now.

dheeraj9933

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
this is how u do it,
uninstall your intel drivers in safe mode by using driver sweeper,
then install the nvidia drivers and make sure your monitor display is connected to the card and not the motherboard!!

dheeraj9933

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
well, do u know what kind of display r u using?
like a DVI or HDMI or VGA? what's important right now is how do they look!
go to google images and search those to see how they look.
Now to make this as easy as it gets, just see at what height your display is conneted.
if it is somewhere in between it is probably in the motherboard,
if it is at a certain lower height it is in GPU

Cruckshank

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
I think I understand what you meant now. I didn't have the thing to connect it plugged in (on the diagram the part plugged into the computer is labelled DVI), I do now, however, the monitor cord doesn't actually fit it? The cord for the monitor is a VGA and the part the cord goes into on the diagram is also labelled VGA, so I'm quite confused about why it won't fit? It's fitted at the middle at the moment, but I assume the NVIDIA graphics card is actually the top slot?

Cruckshank

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
No...? My monitor cable is DVI-i, right? Yet the provided adapter is VGA to DVI, so I need a different adapter, correct?

It will not fit. I have tried.

dheeraj9933

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
if ur monitor has a DVI-I then u dont need to use an adapter!!!
GT 620 already has a DVI-I
just put the monitor wire in the graphics card(topslot) without an adapter

Cruckshank

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Never mind, you're right, I'm an idiot. It looks like I just wasn't pushing it into the adapter with enough force.

Thanks for the help :)