Konica-Minolta 5D vs Canon EOS 5D

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 17, 2005 1:53:51 AM

Why would Canon use the same model number? This presumes the Canon 5D
exists.
August 17, 2005 1:53:52 AM

Darrell wrote:

> Why would Canon use the same model number? This presumes the Canon 5D
> exists.

Because by the time Canon is done with their 5D, people will be saying,
"Minolta what - who?"

--
Slack
August 17, 2005 2:40:33 AM

"Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
> Darrell wrote:
>
>> Why would Canon use the same model number? This presumes the Canon 5D
>> exists.
>>

> Because by the time Canon is done with their 5D, people will be saying,
> "Minolta what - who?"

That would assume the market was hot for a $4000 body. The fastest selling
camera at the store I am at right now is the S2 IS! In dSLRs it's the D50,
XT and D70s. I have sent half my 20D stock back with problems (back focus,
etc). The market will be strong for the KM 5D as it will sell for $100 less
than the XT. The same price as the D50, and the new *ist DL. So the RebelXT
is the most expensive entry level dSLR camera at the moment. Nobody really
knows the price of the EOS 5D (if it exists)

With 10% or less margins dealers will buy what sells, the market dictates
volume sales. We sell 10 XT's for every 20D, 5 D50 for each D70s. We are
sold out of EOS 1D mk.II, and 1Ds mk.II, we had both on the shelf.
Related resources
August 17, 2005 2:40:34 AM

Darrell wrote:
> "Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>>Darrell wrote:
>>

>>>Why would Canon use the same model number? This presumes the Canon 5D
>>>exists.
>>>

>>Because by the time Canon is done with their 5D, people will be saying,
>>"Minolta what - who?"
>>

> That would assume the market was hot for a $4000 body. The fastest selling
> camera at the store I am at right now is the S2 IS! In dSLRs it's the D50,
> XT and D70s. I have sent half my 20D stock back with problems (back focus,
> etc). The market will be strong for the KM 5D as it will sell for $100 less
> than the XT. The same price as the D50, and the new *ist DL. So the RebelXT
> is the most expensive entry level dSLR camera at the moment. Nobody really
> knows the price of the EOS 5D (if it exists)
>
> With 10% or less margins dealers will buy what sells, the market dictates
> volume sales. We sell 10 XT's for every 20D, 5 D50 for each D70s. We are
> sold out of EOS 1D mk.II, and 1Ds mk.II, we had both on the shelf.

I think $4000, or even $3500 is too much.

Now if Canon was to launch it at say $2650, drop the 20d to $999 and the
xt @ $750, then we could kiss everyone but Nikon goodbye.

But this is just my pie-in-the-sky fantasy.
--
Slack
Anonymous

I think this is just a bad coincidence. As another poster recently
pointed out, there was a EOS 5 model a few years back to which there is
no DSLR equivalent... the EOS 5 would fit nicely between their 10
series and 1 series.

Canon's somewhat confusing naming conventions do have a logic:
1series - best available (EOS 1D mk II, mk IIs)
10series - prosumer (10D, 20D)
100series - consumer (300D, 350D)

A 5 series bridges the gap from $2000 CAD to $8000 CAD. I doubt there's
a need for a 50series to bridge the gap from consumer to prosumer
though.

As for Maxxum, there's a 9D and a 7D...next in logical progression is a
5D.

PS Think anyone will make the mistake in future of assuming the D30 is
a nikon model based on vague references in charts down the line? :)
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 6:04:51 PM

> Why would Canon use the same model number? This presumes the Canon 5D
> exists.

IF it exists (some significant doubt) it is doubtful they would grab the
same model number as a direct competitor

Toa
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 6:17:15 PM

Slack wrote:
> I think $4000, or even $3500 is too much.
>
> Now if Canon was to launch it at say $2650, drop the 20d to $999 and
> the xt @ $750, then we could kiss everyone but Nikon goodbye.

Do you work for Canon? (I'm referring to the "we" in your post)

Why is it important that other brands fail. I think competition is
healthy. The more good cameras from all suppliers the better
it is for all buyers.

I have noticed very few people say they are unhappy with their
choice of dSLR whichever brand.

-Mike
August 17, 2005 6:17:16 PM

Mike Warren wrote:
> Slack wrote:
>
>>I think $4000, or even $3500 is too much.
>>
>>Now if Canon was to launch it at say $2650, drop the 20d to $999 and
>>the xt @ $750, then we could kiss everyone but Nikon goodbye.
>

> Do you work for Canon? (I'm referring to the "we" in your post)
>
> Why is it important that other brands fail. I think competition is
> healthy. The more good cameras from all suppliers the better
> it is for all buyers.

I totally agree... you're reading too much into what I wrote.

> I have noticed very few people say they are unhappy with their
> choice of dSLR whichever brand.
>
> -Mike

I haven't said anything ill about other brands, not would I.
--
Slack
August 17, 2005 6:17:17 PM

Slack wrote:

> I haven't said anything ill about other brands, not would I.

So the below quote was what? I'm sure this wasn't meant in a condescending
way..

Because by the time Canon is done with their 5D, people will be saying,
"Minolta what - who?"

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Mike Warren wrote:

> Why is it important that other brands fail. I think competition is
> healthy. The more good cameras from all suppliers the better
> it is for all buyers.

This is true. What's happened in digital SLRs is not good for the
market, with Nikon and Canon essentially establishing an oligopoly,
controlling around 98% of the market, with the few other manufacturers
fighting over the remaining 2%. The problem is that SLRs, especially
digital SLRs, lend themselves to such oligopolies.

> I have noticed very few people say they are unhappy with their
> choice of dSLR whichever brand.

Some people are at least able to honestly state issues with ANY product
that they own, since no product is perfect. What I don't like to see is
mindless bashing of other products, but simply stating the pros and cons
of specific products is legitimate and valuable.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 7:43:01 PM

> etc). The market will be strong for the KM 5D as it will sell for $100
> less than the XT. The same price as the D50, and the new *ist DL. So the
> RebelXT is the most expensive entry level dSLR camera at the moment.
> Nobody really knows the price of the EOS 5D (if it exists)

I can't argue with that logic.

Toa
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:20:53 PM

burnsdavidj@yahoo.com wrote:

> PS Think anyone will make the mistake in future of assuming the D30 is
> a nikon model based on vague references in charts down the line? :)

The Nikon full frame models will be the D3 series, it's about the worst
kept secret around.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:22:28 PM

Stacey wrote:
> Slack wrote:
>
>>I haven't said anything ill about other brands, not would I.
>
> So the below quote was what? I'm sure this wasn't meant in a condescending
> way..
>
> Because by the time Canon is done with their 5D, people will be saying,
> "Minolta what - who?"

Ah, Tracy, consider yourself trolled.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

> Why is it important that other brands fail. I think competition is
> healthy. The more good cameras from all suppliers the better
> it is for all buyers.
> -Mike

Yup. If it were left to Canon on their own (or even Canon vs Nikon) there
would be very little incentive for them to invest heavily in product
development.

Toa
August 17, 2005 8:24:27 PM

Toa wrote:

>> Why is it important that other brands fail. I think competition is
>> healthy. The more good cameras from all suppliers the better
>> it is for all buyers.
>> -Mike
>
> Yup. If it were left to Canon on their own (or even Canon vs Nikon) there
> would be very little incentive for them to invest heavily in product
> development.

Or for them to improve them at all..

If fuji hadn't been in competition with Kodak in the film marketplace,
neither would have done anything to improve their products as long as
people kept buying them.

What I don't understand is why some people feel like camera brands are like
a football game and their team must CRUSH the other team? Ah, maybe it is
something besides photography at work here?

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Stacey wrote:

> What I don't understand is why some people feel like camera brands are like
> a football game and their team must CRUSH the other team? Ah, maybe it is
> something besides photography at work here?

Good analogy for some.

How would you answer the same question of yourself?

--
John McWilliams

Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"
Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."
August 17, 2005 11:44:13 PM

> Darrell wrote:
>> "Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message

>>>Becavse by the time Canon is done with their 5D, people will be saying,
>>>"Minolta what - who?"
>>>

>> That wovld assvme the market was hot for a $4000 body. The fastest
>> selling camera at the store I am at right now is the S2 IS! In dSLRs it's
>> the D50, XT and D70s. I have sent half my 20D stock back with problems
>> (back focvs, etc). The market will be strong for the KM 5D as it will
>> sell for $100 less than the XT. The same price as the D50, and the new
>> *ist DL. So the RebelXT is the most expensive entry level dSLR camera at
>> the moment. Nobody really knows the price of the EOS 5D (if it exists)
>>
>> With 10% or less margins dealers will bvy what sells, the market dictates
>> volvme sales. We sell 10 XT's for every 20D, 5 D50 for each D70s. We are
>> sold ovt of EOS 1D mk.II, and 1Ds mk.II, we had both on the shelf.
>>

> I think $4000, or even $3500 is too mvch.
>
> Now if Canon was to lavnch it at say $2650, drop the 20d to $999 and the
> xt @ $750, then we covld kiss everyone bvt Nikon goodbye.
>
> Bvt this is jvst my pie-in-the-sky fantasy.
> --
Then there wovld be a dvopoly, which wovld actvally drive prices vp. It's
competition that drives prices down. If somehow even Mitsvbishi (Nikon) were
to fold vnder that concept, then Canon wovld be granted a monopoly. The idea
yov svggested wovld be considered illegal in the USA, vnder the "Dvmping
Laws" and the USA Government covld impose tarriffs, or covld even ban the
prodvct ovtright. This is called anti-trvst.

A single maker market ends vp being like the company store at a mining camp,
or like the G.U.M. Store in the former Soviet Union.
August 17, 2005 11:44:14 PM

Darrell wrote:
> "Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>>Darrell wrote:
>>
>>>"Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message

>>>That wovld assvme the market was hot for a $4000 body. The fastest
>>>selling camera at the store I am at right now is the S2 IS! In dSLRs it's
>>>the D50, XT and D70s. I have sent half my 20D stock back with problems
>>>(back focvs, etc). The market will be strong for the KM 5D as it will
>>>sell for $100 less than the XT. The same price as the D50, and the new
>>>*ist DL. So the RebelXT is the most expensive entry level dSLR camera at
>>>the moment. Nobody really knows the price of the EOS 5D (if it exists)
>>>
>>>With 10% or less margins dealers will bvy what sells, the market dictates
>>>volvme sales. We sell 10 XT's for every 20D, 5 D50 for each D70s. We are
>>>sold ovt of EOS 1D mk.II, and 1Ds mk.II, we had both on the shelf.
>>>

>>I think $4000, or even $3500 is too mvch.
>>
>>Now if Canon was to lavnch it at say $2650, drop the 20d to $999 and the
>>xt @ $750, then we covld kiss everyone bvt Nikon goodbye.
>>
>>Bvt this is jvst my pie-in-the-sky fantasy.
>>--
>
> Then there wovld be a dvopoly, which wovld actvally drive prices vp. It's
> competition that drives prices down. If somehow even Mitsvbishi (Nikon) were
> to fold vnder that concept, then Canon wovld be granted a monopoly. The idea
> yov svggested wovld be considered illegal in the USA, vnder the "Dvmping
> Laws" and the USA Government covld impose tarriffs, or covld even ban the
> prodvct ovtright. This is called anti-trvst.
>
> A single maker market ends vp being like the company store at a mining camp,
> or like the G.U.M. Store in the former Soviet Union.

Trvst me, I know abovt the importance of market diversification and
competition, I'm a Bvyer for an Aerospace Co. and there's nothing I hate
more, than to be tied to a sole sovrce. This only gvaranties yov'll
soon be bent over a barrel, skivvies arovnd yovr ankles.

Bvt the above scenario wovld allow be to snap vp a spare camera ;-P
which was the point.

Well, we'll see what materializes in the next few weeks.
--
Slack
August 17, 2005 11:46:43 PM

"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> burnsdavidj@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> PS Think anyone will make the mistake in future of assuming the D30 is
>> a nikon model based on vague references in charts down the line? :)
>
> The Nikon full frame models will be the D3 series, it's about the worst
> kept secret around.

I doubt there will be a 24x36mm sensor in Nikon. The APS-C is doing pretty
well.
August 18, 2005 1:46:18 AM

John McWilliams wrote:

> Stacey wrote:
>
>> What I don't understand is why some people feel like camera brands are
>> like a football game and their team must CRUSH the other team? Ah, maybe
>> it is something besides photography at work here?
>
> Good analogy for some.
>
> How would you answer the same question of yourself?

I'm glad there are lots of good options to choose from, each with their own
strengths and weaknesses. To only have ONE choice would mean that everyone
would be forced to accept the same strong points as the ones they need and
if this wasn't the case, they'd be out to lunch. I'm glad there is a system
that has low noise at 1600ISO, given I'd rarely if ever need this, I'm glad
I have choices.

Again I can't understand why people think cheering their "team" to crush the
competition out of bussiness is going to help them or anyone.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

Stacey wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>

>>Stacey wrote:
>>

>>>What I don't understand is why some people feel like camera brands are
>>>like a football game and their team must CRUSH the other team? Ah, maybe
>>>it is something besides photography at work here?
>>
>>Good analogy for some.
>>
>>How would you answer the same question of yourself?
>>

> I'm glad there are lots of good options to choose from, each with their own
> strengths and weaknesses. To only have ONE choice would mean that everyone
> would be forced to accept the same strong points as the ones they need and
> if this wasn't the case, they'd be out to lunch. I'm glad there is a system
> that has low noise at 1600ISO, given I'd rarely if ever need this, I'm glad
> I have choices.

No argument from me on that latter sentence. But your postings belie
that you are glad.

> Again I can't understand why people think cheering their "team" to crush the
> competition out of bussiness is going to help them or anyone.

This is a different interpretation than I had from what you initially
wrote and from the bulk of your posts. I was looking more at those who
felt they needed to crush, spank, or at least humiliate those who
disagreed with them.

Only the truly pre-Adam Smith types would hope that any one company
would "kill" or "crush" another, unless they are shareholders or
workers. We all lose when an innovative company bites the dust.

--
John McWilliams
August 18, 2005 1:52:45 AM

SMS wrote:

>> I have noticed very few people say they are unhappy with their
>> choice of dSLR whichever brand.
>
> Some people are at least able to honestly state issues with ANY product
> that they own, since no product is perfect. What I don't like to see is
> mindless bashing of other products, but simply stating the pros and cons
> of specific products is legitimate and valuable.

Like the mindless person who wrote this?
------

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital.s...

> 2. Olympus E-1, 14-54 f2.8-3.5, 50-200 f2.8-3.5

The E-1, and other Olympus dSLR cameras, be avoided.

-------

Wait that was you, never mind..

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Darrell wrote:

> Then there would be a duopoly, which would actually drive prices up.

For all intents and purposes we already have a duopoly in digital SLRs.
Depending on whose numbers you believe, Canon and Nikon control 95-98%
of the market, with 3-5 other companies splitting the remaining 2-5%
(and some of these have essentially 0%)
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 7:12:27 PM

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message
> Why would Canon use the same model number? This presumes the Canon
> 5D exists.

Canon's model is called "EOS-5D".

Bart
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 9:46:55 PM

Darrell wrote:

> Why would Canon use the same model number? This presumes the Canon 5D
> exists.

5D is half the cost of 10D
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:08:08 AM

The supposed 5D is approximately 2.25 times the cost of the 10D, it is $500
less than the 1D, or less than 1/2 the cost of the 1Ds MkII

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
"no one" <noone@nowhere.nohow.invalid> wrote in message
> Darrell wrote:
>
>> Why would Canon use the same model number? This presumes the Canon 5D
>> exists.
>>

> 5D is half the cost of 10D
August 19, 2005 2:54:27 AM

John McWilliams wrote:

> Stacey wrote:
>> John McWilliams wrote:

>>>Good analogy for some.
>>>
>>>How would you answer the same question of yourself?
>>>

>> I'm glad there are lots of good options to choose from, each with their
>> own
>> strengths and weaknesses. To only have ONE choice would mean that
>> everyone would be forced to accept the same strong points as the ones
>> they need and if this wasn't the case, they'd be out to lunch. I'm glad
>> there is a system that has low noise at 1600ISO, given I'd rarely if ever
>> need this, I'm glad I have choices.
>
> No argument from me on that latter sentence. But your postings belie
> that you are glad.

Why? Because I get tired of the "canon does no wrong" or "avoid ____ brand
at all costs" posters here and point out some of the good and bad points of
certain cameras?

> Only the truly pre-Adam Smith types would hope that any one company
> would "kill" or "crush" another, unless they are shareholders or
> workers. We all lose when an innovative company bites the dust.

Exactly.

--

Stacey
Anonymous

In article <GWcNe.1489$sw6.560@fed1read05>, shadowcatcher@cox.net
says...
> The supposed 5D is approximately 2.25 times the cost of the 10D, it is $500
> less than the 1D, or less than 1/2 the cost of the 1Ds MkII

Psst... Skip... I think he was making a joke.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

"Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
> In article <GWcNe.1489$sw6.560@fed1read05>, shadowcatcher@cox.net
> says...
>> The supposed 5D is approximately 2.25 times the cost of the 10D, it is
>> $500
>> less than the 1D, or less than 1/2 the cost of the 1Ds MkII
>
> Psst... Skip... I think he was making a joke.
> --
> http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird

Wow, if he was, that went so far afield of me as to be unnoticed...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:28:01 PM

> Canon's model is called "EOS-5D".
> Bart

you've seen one?

Toa
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:28:02 PM

"Toa" <toa1614@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Canon's model is called "EOS-5D".
>> Bart
>
> you've seen one?

It's not released yet, so only few have actually seen it. That still
makes it unlikely that since all Canon EOS cameras are named EOS-xxxx,
with xxxx being the model, there is going to be a sudden change with
the introduction of the EOS-5D.

Bart
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:46:38 PM

> It's not released yet, so only few have actually seen it. That still Bart

So, how do you it's actually going to be called the 5D?

Toa
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 3:46:39 PM

>> It's not released yet, so only few have actually seen it. That
>> still Bart
>
> So, how do you it's actually going to be called the 5D?

Know? 25+ years of experience in how global corporations work.
How do you know it isn't going to be called an EOS-5D??

Bart
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:26:11 PM

> How do you know it isn't going to be called an EOS-5D??
> Bart

It's not me guessing anything

Toa
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:26:12 PM

>> How do you know it isn't going to be called an EOS-5D??
>> Bart
>
> It's not me guessing anything

So you have credible proof it isn't called EOS-5D?
Didn't think so. Thanks for playing...

Bart
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:55:39 PM

Stacey wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>>
>>No argument from me on that latter sentence. But your postings belie
>>that you are glad.
>
> Why? Because I get tired of the "canon does no wrong" or "avoid ____ brand
> at all costs" posters here and point out some of the good and bad points of
> certain cameras?

Yes, there are a handful of posters who don't do much except promote or
bash, and if they can't do that well, they simply argue
about/on/over/in/around just about anything.

Maybe we could avoid 'em?

--
John McWilliams

Max thought the night-time burglary at the California surfing museum
would be a safe caper, but that was before he spotted the security cop
riding a bull mastiff, blond hair blowing in the wind, and noticed the
blue-and-white sign wired to the cyclone fence, "Guard dude on doggy."
[Bulwer-Lytton entry]
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:37:33 PM

>> It's not me guessing anything
>
> So you have credible proof it isn't called EOS-5D?
> Didn't think so. Thanks for playing...
> Bart

You have trouble comprehending English? No-one here is saying it's NOT to
be called an EOS-5D? I merely question how you can assert it is to be so.
Simply saying you're aware of how global corporates operate doesn't in
anyway justiofy your claim that it's a reality.

Admit it, you're guessing. You may well be guessing correctly (time will
tell) but for the moment it's all a big guess on your part

Toa
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:37:34 PM

>>> It's not me guessing anything
>>
>> So you have credible proof it isn't called EOS-5D?
>> Didn't think so. Thanks for playing...
>> Bart
>
> You have trouble comprehending English?

Even if it isn't my native language, I have no problem comprehending
English whatsoever, German, French, some Italian, (to name a few) and
I obviously have no problem comprehending Dutch. Do you, or are you
just trolling (= a rethorical question)?

> No-one here is saying it's NOT to be called an EOS-5D?
> I merely question how you can assert it is to be so. Simply saying
> you're aware of how global corporates operate doesn't in anyway
> justiofy your claim that it's a reality.

Justiofy? Justify? If you took a bit of more attention to asking the
question in correct English, you might gain *any* credibiity beyond
just trolling.

> Admit it, you're guessing. You may well be guessing correctly (time
> will tell) but for the moment it's all a big guess on your part

Do you care to guess, like putting a wager against my being wrong :-)?
I guess it wouldn't work with you posting with a garbled NTTP posting
Header, Gmail and all, would it, yawn, no challenge at all.

Bart
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:37:34 PM

"Toa" <toa1614@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> It's not me guessing anything
>>
>> So you have credible proof it isn't called EOS-5D?
>> Didn't think so. Thanks for playing...
>> Bart
>
> You have trouble comprehending English? No-one here is saying it's NOT to
> be called an EOS-5D? I merely question how you can assert it is to be so.
> Simply saying you're aware of how global corporates operate doesn't in
> anyway justiofy your claim that it's a reality.
>
> Admit it, you're guessing. You may well be guessing correctly (time will
> tell) but for the moment it's all a big guess on your part
>
> Toa

Its supposed specs are weirdly close to the old Canon EOS5, which predated
the Minolta Maxxum5 by quite a space. Canon has as much right to the "5"
appelation as anybody...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 7:26:23 PM

> Do you care to guess, like putting a wager against my being wrong :-)?

Nope. As I said your guess may well be correct but it's still just a guess

> I guess it wouldn't work with you posting with a garbled NTTP posting
> Header, Gmail and all, would it, yawn, no challenge at all.
> Bart

?? The point of the above is?

My given email address is correct and complete. Unlike some in this forum I
have absolutely nothing to hide. A simple search of the net will find me
and no doubt my home address and telephone number should you so choose.

Toa
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 8:26:32 PM

> Its supposed specs are weirdly close to the old Canon EOS5, which predated
> the Minolta Maxxum5 by quite a space. Canon has as much right to the "5"
> appelation as anybody...
> Skip Middleton

I don't think any of that is under dispute.

Toa
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 10:06:28 AM

....Simply "googling" it gives quite a few results, here are some:
Bot Atkin's:
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_...
PDF (in Spanish, can be found on other sites):
http://dimg.163.com/dp/050810/5d/Canon5D-specs.pdf

Looks real to me...

Dimitri.

(I'm impressed someone mentioned the Soviet G.U.M. here)

> "Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
>> In article <GWcNe.1489$sw6.560@fed1read05>, shadowcatcher@cox.net
>> says...
>>> The supposed 5D is approximately 2.25 times the cost of the 10D, it is
>>> $500
>>> less than the 1D, or less than 1/2 the cost of the 1Ds MkII
>>
>> Psst... Skip... I think he was making a joke.
>> --
>> http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
>
> Wow, if he was, that went so far afield of me as to be unnoticed...
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:44:44 PM

You are comparing a turnip to a truffle.

The 5D is/will be a full frame truffle with the L lenses for sauce.

"A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
color of blood in black and white"

David Douglas Duncan
Speaking on why in Vietnam
he worked only in black and white
http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:24:49 AM

> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_...

From there
NOTE: This data is speculative. Canon has NOT confirmed any of this
information, it is based only on documents openly found on the web which may
or may not be accurate. I have no direct knowledge as to whether this
information is accurate - though if I didn't think there was some basis to
it, I wouldn't put it here. We will all have to wait for an official Canon
Press Release to confirm (or repudiate) this data. That may happen on August
22/23 if you believe the web rumors. As they say on psychic TV, all this is
for "entertainment purposes only"!

> http://dimg.163.com/dp/050810/5d/Canon5D-specs.pdf

Same photos/artwork used in that one too

> Looks real to me...
> Dimitri.

Yup, but until we know for sure in a day or so it's still speculation

Toa
!