Sign in with
Your question

Is a quiet dual XEON or Core i7 build achievable?

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2013 7:35:48 PM

I want to build a new machine to replace my current VMware ESX server (small form factor Dell Optiplex), but I'd like to maintain the quietness of it. Is it possible to build a machine with a dual socket XEON or Core i7 motherboard AND have the quietness of a desktop computer? If so, any pointers or recommendation on components to get?

Thanks!

P.S. - In other words, I want to avoid this new machine sounding like it belongs in a data center.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2013 9:35:32 PM

You could build a custom liquid cooling. Parts you need are the reservoir, cooling blocks, tubing, pump, radiator, cooing liquid, and case fan to put the radiator on. You could also get noctua coolers, or two closed loop h100i's.
January 23, 2013 11:33:37 PM

Liquid cooling is the way to go for silence.
Related resources
January 25, 2013 12:19:50 AM

Yikes! liquid cooling is out of my area of expertise at the moment. Is there a super quiet heatsink fan out on the market?
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2013 1:25:41 AM

Liquid cooling is not needed to be quiet . In fact most cheap liquid coolers are noisier than air coolers that cost a half as much

a b B Homebuilt system
January 25, 2013 2:28:45 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Liquid cooling is not needed to be quiet . In fact most cheap liquid coolers are noisier than air coolers that cost a half as much

That is why we are recommending a custom one.
!