Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Build for 3D, animation, video/photo

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 23, 2013 7:56:38 PM

I'm looking for suggestions on a new build in the price range $2000-2200 which will be used mainly for

- Photo editing (Lightroom, Photoshop)
- Video editing / animation (After effects [incl. Video Copilot's Element 3D], Premiere)
- 3D (3ds max, Rhino, ..)

What I will NOT do with the machine

- Gaming
- Overclocking
- Watch DVD/Blue-ray

I already have a screen (Dell U2711), so I don't need that.

I have not built a machine in a decade, so any input is considered valuable!

My current build looks like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($217.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.64 @ Newegg)
Total: $2187.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 16:45 EST-0500)
January 23, 2013 8:06:48 PM

If you don't plan to oc, an hyper 212 evo will do the job, no need for two ssds, get 64GB ram, create a ram disk, profit.
Also change the mobo for the extreme 6, an also good modular psu, made by super flower.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($564.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($165.59 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($165.59 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.68 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1976.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


January 23, 2013 8:16:41 PM

Thanks for great answers so far!

I'll rather go for 1 SSD, and increase to 64GB ram.
I'll also reduce the PSU, but not quite sure which I'll choose yet.

If I'll rather go for Core i7-3770K, which motherboard would go well with the rest of the setup?
Related resources
January 23, 2013 8:18:24 PM

Btw, I'm willing to pay extra to reduce noise as much as possible in the overall setup..
January 23, 2013 8:27:05 PM

mgedde said:
Thanks for great answers so far!

I'll rather go for 1 SSD, and increase to 64GB ram.
I'll also reduce the PSU, but not quite sure which I'll choose yet.

If I'll rather go for Core i7-3770K, which motherboard would go well with the rest of the setup?



There's no z77 with 64GB ram support nor 8 DIMM slots.
You have to go with lga 2011.
Either with a i7-3820 or i7-3930k.
If you want lga 1155, get 32GB ram.

An i7-3770, and a h77 mobo with 4 DIMM slots, like the asrock h77 pro 4 mvp.
January 23, 2013 8:27:54 PM

Noob12 said:
This one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-p8z77v

Noice down all you need is 2-3 120 or 140mm silet case fans
Such as 1150rpm Scythe Geentle Typhoon.


Are there any motherboards on LGA1155 that support 64GB ram? Answered by djangoringo (thanks!)
January 23, 2013 8:28:42 PM

No, check my previous post.
For a silent cooler, the xigmatek gaia is suffice.
It's really quiet.
January 23, 2013 8:31:13 PM

u cant run 64gb on the 1155 socket, so ur gonna want a socket 2011+a 3820.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zc4x
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zc4x/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zc4x/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card ($549.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.98 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1898.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 17:30 EST-0500)

Base Total: $1953.83
Shipping: $4.99
Total: $1958.82

based off silence, and top performance :) 



January 23, 2013 8:55:26 PM

ok here than.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zclL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zclL/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zclL/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card ($549.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.98 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2168.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 17:55 EST-0500)

Base Total: $2223.84
Shipping: $9.98
Total: $2233.83

January 23, 2013 9:09:49 PM

iceclock said:
ok here than.

...

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)

...


Why do you prefer 2 x 1.5 TB (at a higher price) instead of 1 x 3 GB?
Corsair rather than G.skill. Why?

Thanks :-)
January 23, 2013 9:18:41 PM

to go in raid, faster and better performance, i prefer corsair to gskill.

January 23, 2013 10:19:50 PM

After having reviewed all the good suggestions, and tried to match them to my needs, I have the following proposal:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($82.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.68 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2088.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 19:16 EST-0500)

Any final thoughts are welcome :-)
January 23, 2013 10:21:25 PM

looks good to me, ur ready to rock dude :) 

January 23, 2013 10:44:08 PM

mgedde said:
After having reviewed all the good suggestions, and tried to match them to my needs, I have the following proposal:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($82.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.74 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.68 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2088.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-23 19:16 EST-0500)

Any final thoughts are welcome :-)



You might want a quad channel kit with four modules 8GB each and with low profile heatsinks, the tall ones, it could block the cooler, the mushkin is lp and with cas 9, two quad channel kits.
4GB doesn't get used in the applications if you see the pro cards, they're 2GB.
I suggest the capstone 750M, not because it's better, but it's not inferior and it has 30$ off in newegg.
My suggestion :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($82.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($228.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($165.59 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($165.59 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($127.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.68 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2085.60
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
January 23, 2013 11:10:25 PM

djangoringo said:
You might want a quad channel kit with four modules 8GB each and with low profile heatsinks, the tall ones, it could block the cooler, the mushkin is lp and with cas 9, two quad channel kits.
4GB doesn't get used in the applications if you see the pro cards, they're 2GB.
I suggest the capstone 750M, not because it's better, but it's not inferior and it has 30$ off in newegg.
My suggestion :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($82.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($228.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($165.59 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($165.59 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($127.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.68 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2085.60
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


Thanks :-)

I'll look into the memory and consider the low profile.
As I'm not living in the US I'll not be buying from newegg anyway, so I'll choose PSU between Capstone/Corsair based on availability / price.

Do you have any reference with regard to 2GB vs. 4GB video card?
January 23, 2013 11:15:41 PM

well for now 2gigs is doing the job. but for futur proofing 4gigs will help out. good point on quad channel.

January 25, 2013 2:17:19 PM

i got u a silent cpu cooler, silent case. silent ps, and 5900rpm hd for less noise, also a board that supports up to 128gb memory if u need ever to get 128gb.

cheaper but decent ssd drive for top performance,

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zvui
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zvui/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zvui/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 (8D) ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($241.25 @ Amazon)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($165.59 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($165.59 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate SV35 Series 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($125.10 @ Mac Connection)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 550 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($90.93 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($136.00 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $2025.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-25 11:16 EST-0500)

Base Total: $2139.38
Promo Discounts: -$33.99
Mail-in Rebates: -$20.00
Shipping: $4.99
Total: $2090.38
!