Sign in with
Your question

Installing my gtx 480

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2012 6:49:27 PM

Right, I've bought my GTX 480 secondhand without any driver cd or anything. After figuring out how to get to the pcie slot on the motherboard and supplying the power to the power-thirsty 8-pin+6-pin gpu i tried booting up the PC. When i tried to boot i didn't get any monitor signals and so i went back to the igpu in order to install the NVIDIA driver for the GTX 480. However, it seems that I cannot install any drivers without the gpu being plugged into the computer as it brings up an error message whenever i try and do so. Maybe there is a way to use a gpu by default buried somewhere deep in the BIOS? Seen as this is my first upgrade to a computer any help would be appreciated.

More about : installing gtx 480

December 8, 2012 7:31:50 PM

Umm what size PSU are you using and what brand. The GTX 480 Is extremely power hungry.
December 8, 2012 8:07:14 PM

mrlime09 said:
Umm what size PSU are you using and what brand. The GTX 480 Is extremely power hungry.

The base computer came with a 450w power supply. I think it's getting it's power, when i opened my pc up to unplug it it was was warm.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 8, 2012 8:21:01 PM

dw guys, found an option after digging around in the BIOS a bit, last option down in the advanced BIOS settings :sol: 
December 8, 2012 8:37:43 PM

actually, forget that post, my psu is the 480UB
December 8, 2012 8:53:14 PM

My PSU is the 480UB. Found an option in the BIOS to change the default graphics processing preference, installed the drivers and nothing. The thing is is that the NVIDIA installer found the GTX 480, idk
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
December 8, 2012 8:59:37 PM

what the hell is a 480UB?

a gtx 480 needs at least a 550 watt PSU with 35 amps on the 12 volt rail.
a b Î Nvidia
December 8, 2012 9:02:00 PM

Anonymous said:
what the hell is a 480UB?

a gtx 480 needs at least a 550 watt PSU with 35 amps on the 12 volt rail.

HEC or CIT, scary either way
December 8, 2012 9:18:42 PM

delluser1 said:
HEC or CIT, scary either way
On the PSU itself it says ATH 12V then MODEL NUMBER: 480UB. On the place that I bought it from it says it is a "450w basic PSU". Guess I will have to upgrade my PSU then?
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
December 8, 2012 9:21:49 PM

olie777 said:
On the PSU itself it says ATH 12V then MODEL NUMBER: 480UB. On the place that I bought it from it says it is a "450w basic PSU". Guess I will have to upgrade my PSU then?

that would be wise.

a nice corsair, XFX, seasonic, or antec are good options.
December 8, 2012 9:26:36 PM

Any model or size in particular? My stock graphics card didn't need a power supply at all, just got power off of the motherboard. Some places say that the GTX 480 needs a 250W and some places say 450W? Surely one graphics card can't use up as much power as an entire PC inc. a graphics card? :??: 
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
December 8, 2012 9:34:25 PM

olie777 said:
Any model or size in particular? My stock graphics card didn't need a power supply at all, just got power off of the motherboard. Some places say that the GTX 480 needs a 250W and some places say 450W? Surely one graphics card can't use up as much power as an entire PC inc. a graphics card? :??: 

a GTX 480 is an extremely power hungry card. not only can and will it use more power than a small system, it can also eat small children.

depending on your system, you could get away with a 500 watt PSU even though nvidia recommends a 600 watt. but without knowing; i suggest a 550 from the makers i mentioned before. any of the models of that wattage will do.

December 8, 2012 9:44:54 PM

Quote:
you could get away with a 500 watt PSU even though nvidia recommends a 600 watt.

Are you sure? If my previous setup that included a 63W GPU required a 450W PSU then wouldn't I require 637W PSU to accommodate a 250W GPU? Is there a way to check my current combined power consumption? Thanks for your advice.
December 8, 2012 9:48:34 PM

Also, Device Manager says the GPU is working properly
December 8, 2012 9:49:58 PM

your previous setup didnt use even close to 450w.
get a 600w psu form either seasonic, corsair, or antech.
Make sure you are plugged into the gpu's output and not your motherboard.
you should get display with the 480 plugged in even without drivers; it will be at 800x600 resolution until you can change it after getting drivers.
December 8, 2012 10:03:58 PM

Ah crap, does plugging into the GPU make a difference? I had my VGA hooked up to my motherboard as my monitor (Samsung SyncMaster S22B300) does not support DVI input. Guess I will have to buy a mini-HDMI cable then... Does this mean I won't have to upgrade my PSU?
December 8, 2012 10:08:06 PM

you should have gotten a DVI to VGA adapter with the card. If not, thats what you need to buy
youre welcome.
PS: still get a better PSU, you dont want to risk frying your system when it gives out
December 8, 2012 10:14:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah the GPU was second-hand, got it for £100, £60 off :D  . So a DVI to VGA and not a mini-HDMI?
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
December 8, 2012 10:15:09 PM

olie777 said:
Quote:
you could get away with a 500 watt PSU even though nvidia recommends a 600 watt.

Are you sure? If my previous setup that included a 63W GPU required a 450W PSU then wouldn't I require 637W PSU to accommodate a 250W GPU? Is there a way to check my current combined power consumption? Thanks for your advice.

first thing is it could very be that your PSU cannot provide the 450 watts that is on the label. less than desirable PSU makers can and do lie about the "rated" wattage. also the PSU wasn't used because your system "required" 450 watts, it was used because it was cheap. most systems w/o a gpu don't use more than 150-200 watts.

what are you system specs? what cpu? how much RAM? how many hard drives?

a cpu can be between 65 to 125 watts (an i3 or AMD FX)
RAM 4 watts a stick
hard drive 5 watts reading/writing though 10 watts to "spin up" when booting.

trying to guess what you need by the rated wattage of the PSU that is now in there would lead to a severe error of power consumption.
December 8, 2012 10:24:41 PM

Anonymous said:
first thing is it could very be that your PSU cannot provide the 450 watts that is on the label. less than desirable PSU makers can and do lie about the "rated" wattage. also the PSU wasn't used because your system "required" 450 watts, it was used because it was cheap. most systems w/o a gpu don't use more than 150-200 watts.

what are you system specs? what cpu? how much RAM? how many hard drives?

a cpu can be between 65 to 125 watts (an i3 or AMD FX)
RAM 4 watts a stick
hard drive 5 watts reading/writing though 10 watts to "spin up" when booting.

trying to guess what you need by the rated wattage of the PSU that is now in there would lead to a severe error of power consumption.

AMD FX 4170 quadcore "professionally" overclocked to 4.4GHz, 8GB RAM, just 1 stick and a 2 TB Hard Drive. 78LMT-USB3 MOBO if that's relevant
December 8, 2012 10:28:21 PM

not really.
your system with a gtx480 should be using around 400-500w
get a 600w psu for this upgrade. the 450w no name psu you have wont cut it.
December 8, 2012 10:31:34 PM

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/cases/HEC_AC...
review of your psu.
the overvolt protection never kicked in for the reviewer, so the voltage was shotty in performance at high levels, which is what you will be running it at with that setup.
last thing you want is a psu that doesnt power down after youve used up all its juice.
that is recipe to fry a system.
as i said before, get a new power supply
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
December 8, 2012 10:33:51 PM

olie777 said:
AMD FX 4170 quadcore "professionally" overclocked to 4.4GHz, 8GB RAM, just 1 stick and a 2 TB Hard Drive. 78LMT-USB3 MOBO if that's relevant

that 600 that flint suggested is nice.

the AMD FX series cpus do eat up a bit of power and that is a bit towards 200 watts (edit: TOTAL system power) before the gtx 480

if you care to check:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.js...

though i personally hate online calculators, they do over estimate a bit . . just don't freak and get a crappy 850 watt PSU; you really won't be any better off.
December 8, 2012 10:35:58 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
not really.
your system with a gtx480 should be using around 400-500w
get a 600w psu for this upgrade. the 450w no name psu you have wont cut it.

I guess this is why Device Manager determined it was working properly? Probably will upgrade the PSU if my PC will incinerate without it.
December 8, 2012 10:37:47 PM

you dont want to run your psu at its peak if it does not have overvoltage protection. period. you will run it at its peak. get that adapter i suggested, and that psu, or something similar from seasonic antech or corsair, and happy gaming

the psu you already have might work for a few months but once you hear a "pop" and see smoke and smell burning then open up your case to find a fried system, dont blame me
::not trying to be rude, but a power supply is never something to skimp out on::
!