Sign in with
Your question

Which GPU (if any) should I get?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2012 6:59:43 PM

Hi everybody,
So, I recently built my new pc and was wondering if i need a GPU and if so, what GPU i should get. In my system, i have an i7 3770k processor on a z77 gigabite mother board. I am currently running on HD 4000 graphics with no problems but had some questions for upgrading.

First, what type of improvements would i notice in everyday tasks? (if i had a $150 GPU)
Second, what type if difference would i notice while playing games(FPS generally?) (I rarely play games on PC but i might start)
And Lastly, what GPU would be the best for its value? ($100- $200 is my range)

Also, what are the main differences with NVDIA and AMD, and why are there so many different companies making the same series of GPUs? Which is better?

Thanks

More about : gpu

December 8, 2012 7:38:08 PM

I ran on HD4000 too, and for everyday tasks, you probably wont notice any difference at all. Unless your everyday tasks include graphics rendering or something :D 

Its in games that you'll notice the real difference, and FPS will definitely go up on any card you buy over $50

a c 192 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 7:47:40 PM

For other than games, you'll see no improvement unless you are running some specific programs that take advantage of GPGPU acceleration; you would probably know if you had such a program.
The differences among products include warranty length, number and type of connectors provided, accessories in the box, clock speeds, and the quality of the cooler used. Some brands have a better reputation (e.g. MSI, XFX IMO) than others (e.g. Jaton, Biostar again, IMO).
Toward the lower end of your budget (~$120-~$130) I'd look for a HD7770. It can play any game, almost all on "good" settings. If you never really get into gaming, you won't have spent a lot of money. If you do, you can sample them all. If you decide on an upgrade (for "great" rather than "good" settings), we can make suggestions then.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 8, 2012 9:27:41 PM

Onus said:
For other than games, you'll see no improvement unless you are running some specific programs that take advantage of GPGPU acceleration; you would probably know if you had such a program.
The differences among products include warranty length, number and type of connectors provided, accessories in the box, clock speeds, and the quality of the cooler used. Some brands have a better reputation (e.g. MSI, XFX IMO) than others (e.g. Jaton, Biostar again, IMO).
Toward the lower end of your budget (~$120-~$130) I'd look for a HD7770. It can play any game, almost all on "good" settings. If you never really get into gaming, you won't have spent a lot of money. If you do, you can sample them all. If you decide on an upgrade (for "great" rather than "good" settings), we can make suggestions then.

Thanks for the info!
I actually do use several cs6 products such as Ps, Pr, Ai, and Ae and was wondering if specific graphic cards take advantage of these programs or any gaming card would work. I also am currently using Windows 8 and have heard that it takes advantage of good GPUs.
April 22, 2013 11:13:24 AM

The best graphics card under $200 is the 7850. If you don't do gaming, an SSD will make the best difference in everyday tasks. Everything will be faster.
!