Your question

Low FPS, What do I need to change

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
December 8, 2012 9:15:00 PM

Hey guys,
I built a rig about a year ago and I'm just learning that its already obsolete. I'm trying to play Aassassins Creed 3 and I'm getting 32-20 FPS. What do I need to change to get higher FPS? I'm thinking the graphics card but I'm wondering what your thoughts are.

I'm not a huge gamer so I don't want to drop $250 on a new card and I'm not interested in 100 fps either. If I could get it to stay at 30fps and not be choppy I'd be happy.

Specs
Board: MSI 890GXM-G65
Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1055t (Overclocked to 3.5 Ghz)
RAM: 4GB 1333 CL9 (I know this sucks)
Video: Diamond ATI HD 5830 (Stock clock)
HD: Patriot Pyro SSD 550MB/s read/write

Do you think getting better ram would help?
Is there a software that I can run that would help me find the bottleneck?

Thank you in advance

More about : low fps change

a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 11:19:12 PM

I would overclock the RAM to 1600Mhz RAM speed, and upgrade the graphics card to something like an HD 7850 (about 200 bucks, sometimes less, sometimes more, usually 180 if you get the right one) or if you are lucky I would find an HD 7870 for 220 as there is a HUGE performance game. Otherwise HD 7850 as it is the two generations newer version of your card with about a 100 percent performance gain
m
l
a c 383 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 11:25:12 PM

Even a HD 7770 would be a big improvement over a 5830. Just make sure that no matter what card you get your power supply can handle it.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 11:26:21 PM

scorpinock2 said:
I would overclock the RAM to 1600Mhz RAM speed, and upgrade the graphics card to something like an HD 7850 (about 200 bucks, sometimes less, sometimes more, usually 180 if you get the right one) or if you are lucky I would find an HD 7870 for 220 as there is a HUGE performance game. Otherwise HD 7850 as it is the two generations newer version of your card with about a 100 percent performance gain

Overclocking his RAM to 1600 would provide no noticeable benefit.
He JUST said he does NOT want to drop $250 on a new video card...

The problem here is the game is TERRIBLY unoptimized for PC's.
It doesn't utilize more than 2 cores properly, and is pretty much entirely dependent on sheer CPU speed.
It's a CPU bottleneck due to shitty coding by Ubisoft.

Image sourced from gamegpu.ru
m
l
a c 152 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 11:30:18 PM

Cheapest(Free) option is just to turn down some settings.

Options known to cause performance drop in games.

AA
Ambient Occlusion
Shadows
Soft Particles if the game has it.

EDIT, with Azathoth's linked image...wow
m
l
December 9, 2012 4:05:46 AM

Thanks guys, This is helpful info.
Given Azathoth's comments, I'm going to play around with my CPU and try to squeeze a little more out it. Lets see if that makes a difference. I've never tried to overclock my 5830; I wonder if that will help?

RAM is fairly cheap these days, so let me see if I can find something there too.
Unlikely I'll pull the trigger but I'm going to shop around a little and see if I can find a 78 series on the cheap. Good point on the power supply bignastyi .... I had forgotten about that.

Appreciate your input so far. I'll take any other insights you have.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 4:46:49 AM

bignastyid said:
Even a HD 7770 would be a big improvement over a 5830. Just make sure that no matter what card you get your power supply can handle it.

lol a 7770 is not a big improvement over a 5830 just minor. ideal upgrade would be atleast a 7850.
however even with a 5830 OP should be able to get atleast 40-50 fps on high settings.
overclocking both cpu and gpu may help in this regard
m
l