Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Computer not turning on

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 23, 2013 11:44:50 PM

I recently installed a z77 extreme 4 and i5-3570k. The computer is not coming on but i know there are troubleshoot help forumns listed but i wanted to ask because when i unplug the psu my headset (plugged up to the pc) makes a sort of lazer sound. Any ideas?

More about : computer turning

Best solution

January 23, 2013 11:54:42 PM
Share

Basis; Are you sure your CPU is compatible with your Mobo? What mobo do you have?

Have you put your CPU you in correctly? Corner to corner, pin locked down?

Wiring issues; If you plug a fan (case or CPU) into the mobo AND into the PSU pin your PC won't turn on.
January 24, 2013 12:43:10 AM

Hood4321 said:
Basis; Are you sure your CPU is compatible with your Mobo? What mobo do you have?

Have you put your CPU you in correctly? Corner to corner, pin locked down?

Wiring issues; If you plug a fan (case or CPU) into the mobo AND into the PSU pin your PC won't turn on.


ok ive got an updat.e i unplugged almost everything from my psu and it turned on but it looked like the hardrive starting smoking so naturally i turned it off. when i plug everything in again it dosnt turn on. Anyone know?
Related resources
January 24, 2013 2:01:37 AM

crystalchamp said:
ok ive got an updat.e i unplugged almost everything from my psu and it turned on but it looked like the hardrive starting smoking so naturally i turned it off. when i plug everything in again it dosnt turn on. Anyone know?


Are you 100% sure you've wired everything correctly? As long as your CPU is compatible with your mobo, there should be no problem. Check all the case headers and fan headers on the motherboard with the manual, make sure they're all right. Even the reset button being the wrong way around could cause it not to turn on.
January 24, 2013 4:33:31 AM

crystalchamp said:
I recently installed a z77 extreme 4 and i5-3570k. The computer is not coming on but i know there are troubleshoot help forumns listed but i wanted to ask because when i unplug the psu my headset (plugged up to the pc) makes a sort of lazer sound. Any ideas?


We really need the complete specs for the computer so that we can help you.
January 24, 2013 4:37:51 AM

Did you install the power supply to the motherboard correctly? I think there are two wires, a large one and then a smaller one that is specifically for the CPU. It won't run unless both are plugged in.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2013 4:55:48 AM

you killed the hard drive....the smoking was a dead short in your system. the power supply for safty wont power the sytem on with a dead short. if your hard drive smelled burnt..your going to have to replace it. also look at the sata power plug on the power supply if it melted too then your going to have to replace that cable or the power supply.
hard drive should not smoke unless you forced the power cable on..bent one of the pins on the drive or drilled a screw into the hard drive pcb or the hard drive pcb is tuching metal.
January 24, 2013 10:17:00 PM

Best answer selected by crystalchamp.
January 24, 2013 10:17:04 PM

Sorry for taking so long guys but after further investigation i realizd it was my disc drive that was smoking due to a wire in it. So i fixed the cording thanks to hood4321 and now it works :) 
!