crystalchamp

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
I recently installed a z77 extreme 4 and i5-3570k. The computer is not coming on but i know there are troubleshoot help forumns listed but i wanted to ask because when i unplug the psu my headset (plugged up to the pc) makes a sort of lazer sound. Any ideas?

Solution
Basis; Are you sure your CPU is compatible with your Mobo? What mobo do you have?

Have you put your CPU you in correctly? Corner to corner, pin locked down?

Wiring issues; If you plug a fan (case or CPU) into the mobo AND into the PSU pin your PC won't turn on.

Hood4321

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Basis; Are you sure your CPU is compatible with your Mobo? What mobo do you have?

Have you put your CPU you in correctly? Corner to corner, pin locked down?

Wiring issues; If you plug a fan (case or CPU) into the mobo AND into the PSU pin your PC won't turn on.

Solution

crystalchamp

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011

ok ive got an updat.e i unplugged almost everything from my psu and it turned on but it looked like the hardrive starting smoking so naturally i turned it off. when i plug everything in again it dosnt turn on. Anyone know?

Hood4321

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Are you 100% sure you've wired everything correctly? As long as your CPU is compatible with your mobo, there should be no problem. Check all the case headers and fan headers on the motherboard with the manual, make sure they're all right. Even the reset button being the wrong way around could cause it not to turn on.

dragonlord12832

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

We really need the complete specs for the computer so that we can help you.

you killed the hard drive....the smoking was a dead short in your system. the power supply for safty wont power the sytem on with a dead short. if your hard drive smelled burnt..your going to have to replace it. also look at the sata power plug on the power supply if it melted too then your going to have to replace that cable or the power supply.
hard drive should not smoke unless you forced the power cable on..bent one of the pins on the drive or drilled a screw into the hard drive pcb or the hard drive pcb is tuching metal.

crystalchamp

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Sorry for taking so long guys but after further investigation i realizd it was my disc drive that was smoking due to a wire in it. So i fixed the cording thanks to hood4321 and now it works :)