Need Advice For A Game Making/Playing Computer

kaza1205

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Hey guys, I'm looking to build my own computer, and to be honest i haven't got a clue what hardware I need...

I have tried searching up, but I have came across people saying, you need the right parts to go with each other to get the most out of your system so your money hasn't went to waste.

Well it will be a wee while before I can get the money to buy the parts I need, maybe next February, I guess :L

My budget, well it can be whatever it wants to be, but with the girlfriend etc it does have to be reasonable, maybe 400-600?
I have a monitor and am getting a second one soon.
I have a case, but I hate it, looks terrible. so you can offer a case if you want, but it doesn't get included into the overall budget :]

Usage wise, well, may sounds stupid that I'm looking to do this and not have a clue about computer hardware, I'm learning so give me time ill be learning about overclocking etc aswell :] but yea, back on topic, usage, well I'm looking to start making games, Mainly in Unity 3D or Maya. I tried it ages ago, but the computer I have atm went insanely slow..

I will also be playing games on this comp, Games like bf3, bo2 and the new far cry 3 :]

The specs that i can find atm which my computer has are :

Microsoft XP Home Edition SP2 - Don't worry I'm going to be buying a new OP

Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU
E5200 @ 2.50GHz
2.50GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

I have had this computer for maybe around 4-5 years :L as you can probably tell

So guys and if there are any, gals, help me out please? :]

Btw sorry for posting here, as i seen it was the most active, also i posted in new builds and i got 2 replies which went waaay over my budget, in over a week :L

Bumping posts will get you banned-or worse!
Where are you? five hundred US Dollars gets a very different spec to 500 pounds UK!
Have a read pf the System Builder Marathon, if you have n't already, it'll give you an idea of the specs to aim for.
Be careful to check the powersupply before salvaging it, older units lose their output and if it's a cheap component you'll be far better off dumping it.
A few pointers:
The case does n't have to be pretty nor filled with fans unless you're going to madly overclock/use watercooling/install a msssive graphics card, for most people a single exhaust fan and some mesh or grille in the front of the case is enough.
Memory is cheap-get it while it is.
Expensive, high end memory is fine, but not what you need, you'll pay quite a bit more for a tiny overall speed increase.
High end motherboards are fine-but not what you need, either.
Factor a cheap CPU cooler into the budget the little Hyper212 is effective, inexpensive and quiet.
Go for the fastest CPU you can get, aim for a quad core if possible, it'll give the build some room to grow.
If you have to replace the PSU Antec, Silverstone, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling and OCZ are the best available, look for about 500W-you can go for less, but it'll restrict future possible upgrades.
Shop around, there will be plenty of 'specials' at any time of year, keep an eye out for them.

kaza1205

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Sorry about bumping :S

Also im in the uk, thought i added that in, apparently i didnt :/
and sure ill go read it now :D
and thanks for the help, happy at least one person has got back to me with some pointers :]
Thanks coozie :)