Sign in with
Your question

Put computer components in new case; system no longer works.

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2013 12:14:12 AM

Where to begin? I bought a Corsair H100 liquid cooling unit. My first liquid cooler. Hooray! I found out that my case wasn't designed for liquid cooling. (learning experience) Boo!. I get to order a new case. Hooray! The cooler's radiator doesn't fit in the new case; it's a half-inch too large and the screw holes don't line up, and the motherboard sits too high in the case,which makes the ram occupy the space where the radiator needs to sit. Boo!

I give up and put the same components in the new case. The only things that's different is the case. I try to start it up, and the system says that the hardware configuration has changed and it cannot find a boot device. I don't know what the heck it's talking about; the only difference is the case. I didn't even change which sata port the hard drive is plugged into. What could possibly be different?!

I tried repairing my windows 7 with the disc. it says Windows 7 cannot be found on the disc. I decide to try and format the hard drive and just do a clean reinstall. My vista and 7 discs are upgrades, so i have to start with Windows XP then run the upgrade discs. I try that, and my system spits out a message that my current hard drive is incompatible with Windows XP. Again, i have no idea what it's talking about. I figure it has something to do with the previous windows version was 64 bit, and my XP is 32 bit, but since i'm trying to do a clean install, i have no idea why that matters.

I give up, write off the HDD, order an SSD from Newegg, and I got it today. I plugged the SSD into the computer, and started up the Windows XP install. it goes through its usual ritual, but at the first restart, I get a bluescreen (too quick to read) at the "Windows XP" splash/loading page. The system restarts and cycles to the "Windows failed to start, your system was shut down to prevent damage to your system" screen. I have the option to restart in safe mode, safe mode with networking, Last known good config, or Start Windows normally. No matter which option is chosen, the system goes to the loading screen and once more blue screens.

I gave up and started again. I downloaded and installed the latest bios from the Asus website, reset the bios to default settings, and verified everything was snug and plugged. I did a format+clean install and once again get the blue screen. I have no idea what could be causing this.

Next step is to take everything apart. I've got the motherboard properly screwed in with the spacers that came with the case, so i know it's not something stupid like "missing screw in motherboard" (yes, this has happened to me before).

Asus Sabertooth 990FX (original model, not Rev. 2 or anything)
Phenom 975 Black edition quad core CPU
2x Mushkin Enhanced redline 4 gig memory
EVGA GTX550 TI 1gig video car
(Formerly) Windows 7 64 bit.

1st hard drive was a WD Black edition 2TB HDD. That's the one that was in when computer started popping up "No boot device selected."

2nd Hard drive is Crucial V4 256gig SSD.

Any suggestions? any help? please, i want my system back!
January 24, 2013 1:45:20 AM

Well for your WD drive;
go into bios and find the boot section, basically your system just reset. the boot options are sometimes on the first page or has its own tab.... (im only speaking from experoence. your bios may differ). try set it like this
1st boot: optical drive
2nd boot: hdd

or even check if the hard drive is even selected. (that should fix the hdd) just play around wih boot sequence if my way doesnt work. you should be able to get it

as far as ssd... i dont knpw :p  but i read briefly once that they are not always plug and play and you need to install software

Good luck
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:48:24 AM

Using a clean install of the Windows 7 disc did the trick. As for the WD HDD, checking the bios was the first thing I did. I'm just gonna hook it in and format it for use as a storage drive. Thanks for the response!

Case closed!
m
l
Related resources
!