Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Looking for best High-End GPU, price to performance wise.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2012 10:39:07 PM

Hi guys! I'm building my second build and I am doing a 'Beast' Build. Going for the most expensive parts that also are very powerful. I would like a GPU that reflects the nature of my 'Beast' build. I'm very open to anything since I'm not really part of any 'camp' although I do like nVidias PhyX!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: When I have the money :) 

BUDGET RANGE: $1000 for the GPU only

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (BF3, StarCraft 2, Skyrim, Far Cry 3)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: for the new build it will be a Corsair HX 850w (It is not bought yet, so if I need more Watts I can upgrade)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: The card will be going into the new build I am doing, the specs are found here: http://pcpartpicker.com/nz/p/ryto

New Build Specs:
CPU: i7 3930k
Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
RAM: 32gb of 1600mhz G.Skill

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: pcpartpicker.com/nz

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: New Zealand?

PARTS PREFERENCES: I currently would like a nVidia card, but if a AMD proves better I will jump camp (:

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, when I get my 3 monitors

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet Card and back plate if possible. 2 Slot cards are a must, I must be able to SLI/XFire them. I would like the best possible card price to performance wise. This will be going into my 'Beast' build.

Thanks for ready and I hope you can help me!

More about : high end gpu price performance wise

a c 109 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 10:46:47 PM

How you expect to have a high end gpu with 200-250$ ?
I'm checking the prices in nz, and you'll need a 7970 at 573$ or a evga 670 gtx at $608.34, i recommend a sli setup of 670, the 7970 crossfire can get more fps but will have less smoothness.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 10:48:02 PM

Warning, incoming AMD fanboys.

*Gears up for AMD/nvidia debate*
Score
Related resources
December 8, 2012 10:52:25 PM

djangoringo said:
How you expect to have a high end gpu with 200-250$ ?
I'm checking the prices in nz, and you'll need a 7970 at 573$ or a evga 670 gtx at $608.34, i recommend a sli setup of 670, the 7970 crossfire can get more fps but will have less smoothness.

Sorry, I forgot to put in the budget @.@ The budget is $1000NZD. This build needs to be my best :D 

- Sam

austing said:
Warning, incoming AMD fanboys.

*Gears up for AMD/nvidia debate*

I'm neutral to both parties. :)  Hopefully no-one will start a war ._.

- Sam
Score
a c 283 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 11:05:14 PM

If your purpose is gaming, I really suggest you rethink your cpu and gpu budget.

For gaming, the graphics card is much more important than the cpu. I suggest you budget twice the cost of your cpu for the graphics card.
In this case, you have it exactly reversed.

A Beast graphics card would be a GTX690,
An appropriate gaming cpu would be the 3570K; there is nothing better.

No game will use more than 2-3gb. 8gb is plenty. I have no problem with 16gb since ram is cheap.

Windows 7 home premium is OK with 16gb. You need pro or ultimate for >16gb.

For a good overclock, you do not need an enthusiast motherboard.
With a GTX690, you don't even need a sli capable motherboard.
Most any Z77 based motherboard will do.

There is no need for a H100 cooler. It is expensive, noisy, and less reliable. It will not let you OC any higher than a good air cooler in a well ventilated case.
Look at the Noctua NH-D14 or phantec coolers.

I love SSD's. But, I would buy a single 500gb Samsung 840 Pro instead of two 240gb ssd's.
Larger SSD's tend to be a bit faster, and they manage space more efficiently.
I hope you were not thinking of raid-0. You would lose trim support, and it would be faster only in certain sequential benchmarks.
I know, I have tried it.

Corsair is a good cpu. If you go with a GTX690, you only need 650w or so.
Also look at Seasonic as a top brand.

What case do you plan on?
Score
a c 283 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 11:08:01 PM

Your budget in now $1000, it was originally $3251.42 before case and...?
Score
December 8, 2012 11:15:34 PM

geofelt said:
If your purpose is gaming, I really suggest you rethink your cpu and gpu budget.

I forgot to mention I will also be doing video editing in the near Future if that helps.

geofelt said:
For gaming, the graphics card is much more important than the cpu. I suggest you budget twice the cost of your cpu for the graphics card.
In this case, you have it exactly reversed.

True. But wouldn't a 6 Core i7 3930K be better if I am doing Video Editing?

geofelt said:
A Beast graphics card would be a GTX690,
An appropriate gaming cpu would be the 3570K; there is nothing better.

I was thinking of getting a 690! But I didn't know if I should or not. It is overkill >:D 

geofelt said:
No game will use more than 2-3gb. 8gb is plenty. I have no problem with 16gb since ram is cheap.
Windows 7 home premium is OK with 16gb. You need pro or ultimate for >16gb.

Would getting Windows 8 Pro be better than buying 7 Ultimate? I do understand 32gb is overkill, but I will be doing video editing :) 

geofelt said:
For a good overclock, you do not need an enthusiast motherboard.
With a GTX690, you don't even need a sli capable motherboard.
Most any Z77 based motherboard will do.

I found the Asus Board Aesthetically pleasing aswell as having tons of features. If I do downgrade the CPU I will get a Z77 Sabertooth.

geofelt said:
There is no need for a H100 cooler. It is expensive, noisy, and less reliable. It will not let you OC any higher than a good air cooler in a well ventilated case.
Look at the Noctua NH-D14 or phantec coolers.

I do understand the H100 is overkill. I'm not doing terribly high OCing. Probably just to 4.5Ghz. I was also going to swap the fans that came with it, for quieter fans. I also don't really like Air-Coolers, which is Ironic. I understand they don't need mainteance ect. But the fact they take up so much space trying to cool a piece of silicon annoys me. If I go with the CM Cosmos 2, I might get a Air Cooler :) 

geofelt said:
I love SSD's. But, I would buy a single 500gb Samsung 840 Pro instead of two 240gb ssd's.
Larger SSD's tend to be a bit faster, and they manage space more efficiently.
I hope you were not thinking of raid-0. You would lose trim support, and it would be faster only in certain sequential benchmarks.
I know, I have tried it.

That was also something I was wondering! Looks like a single Samsung 830 512gb will do then! I was thinking of Raid-0, thank god you told me not to :) 

geofelt said:
Corsair is a good cpu. If you go with a GTX690, you only need 650w or so.
Also look at Seasonic as a top brand.

Okay, that's good to know. I didn't know if the PSU was too much or too little!

geofelt said:
What case do you plan on?

I'm thinking either the Corsair Obsidian 800D or the CM Cosmos 2.
Score
December 8, 2012 11:22:19 PM

geofelt said:
Your budget in now $1000, it was originally $3251.42 before case and...?

My Budget is $1000 for GPU only. The rest I'm not on a budget. Just whatever is good based on reviews and personal choice!

- Sam
Score
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 11:38:27 PM

If your doing video editing you have a good cpu, and more "future proof" with 6 cores and there is also a few games that now take advantage (hitman absolution, battlefield 3 mp), i recommend you just switching the ram for 2x8gb ram : http://pcpartpicker.com/nz/part/corsair-memory-cmz16gx3... even for video editing, 16 gb will do.
Like someone said get the samsung 830 512gb.
As for the cards, the 690 gtx is above the 1000$ budget, it's $1723.85 :o 
Just get one 670 gtx now and another later, it will cost about ~$1200 two cards.

Score
December 8, 2012 11:42:18 PM

djangoringo said:
If your doing video editing you have a good cpu, and more "future proof" with 6 cores and there is also a few games that now take advantage (hitman absolution, battlefield 3 mp), i recommend you just switching the ram for 2x8gb ram : http://pcpartpicker.com/nz/part/corsair-memory-cmz16gx3... even for video editing, 16 gb will do.
Like someone said get the samsung 830 512gb.
As for the cards, the 690 gtx is above the 1000$ budget, it's $1723.85 :o 
Just get one 670 gtx now and another later, it will cost about ~$1200 two cards.

Okay, that backed me up into still buying i7 3930k. I was thinking about getting the Asus Direct CU II TOP 670 but wouldn't it be better for me to get something like the MSI 680 Lightning?

I do understand that 32gb of RAM is overkill, but wouldn't it be nice to fill up all those 8 slots on a X79 Mobo? Ram is very cheap here. Only $150 for 16gb of 1600Mhz. Which I think is very affordable! :) 

- Sam
Score

Best solution

a c 109 U Graphics card
December 8, 2012 11:50:41 PM

The asus is more 150$ in pcpartpicker nz, the 680 lightning is more 320$, not much performance loss vs two 680 gtx :

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670_SLI/im...

But the 670 gtx ftw has the 680 gtx pcb and overclocks well for 650$, you'll get the same performance as two 680 gtx.
December 8, 2012 11:55:38 PM

djangoringo said:
The asus is more 150$ in pcpartpicker nz, the 680 lightning is more 320$, not much performance loss vs two 680 gtx :

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670_SLI/im...

But the 670 gtx ftw has the 680 gtx pcb and overclocks well for 650$, you'll get the same performance as two 680 gtx.

True, True. Which 670 FTW Version are you talking about? the 4gb, sg2, le or Standard? Also, I would like a quiet card too! :) 
- Sam
Score
December 9, 2012 12:10:45 AM

djangoringo said:
The noise is the same as any 670 gtx card : http://img.hexus.net/v2/graphics_cards/nvidia/evga/GTX6...

I'm talking about the 670 ftw 2GB, the 4GB doesn't show up on the site.

There is also a good 680 gtx 2GB card price/performance/cooling : http://pcpartpicker.com/nz/part/msi-video-card-n680gtxt...

But it's 150$ more.

Hmm. The FTW looks like quite a nice card :)  Now into the other territory, the AMD Cards. If budget was no option, excluding the dual-gpu cards, what card would you buy?
Score
December 9, 2012 12:43:11 AM

djangoringo said:
MSI 7970 lightning 3GB : http://pcpartpicker.com/nz/part/msi-video-card-r7970lig...

It will be granted that will perform better than the 670 gtx ftw (depending on the games), single or crossfire, but it's more expensive, crossfire will have better fps vs smoothness and better driver from nvidia.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics...

The 7970 GHZ editions are more in the league with 680 gtx.

Okay. So I'll be sticking to 670/680s then. Hmm. It's a shame I haven't got a big range of 670s/680s in NZ. I could always order from another site. So the 670 FTW is your 670 Choice? So what would your 680 choice be then?

- Sam
Score
December 9, 2012 12:53:42 AM

Just throwing it out there, that GTX 670 is overpriced compared to HD 7970. In US, I believe GTX 670 is cheaper than HD 7970. You might wanna check is AMD still includes the never settle bundle, FC3, hitman, and sleeping dog for free with the HD 79XX series.

HD 7970 beats GTX 680 in BF3, Skyrim, and GTX 670 in most other games.

BF3:

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/603/bench/BF3_...

Skyrim:

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/603/bench/Skyr...

Rest of bench:
http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/

You have seen the far cry 3, which is an aberration. But, it is an AMD sponsored game, so AMD may fix the problem.

But, its your pick. Just wanna offer some opposite view.
Score
December 9, 2012 1:03:23 AM

burntpizza said:
Just throwing it out there, that GTX 670 is overpriced compared to HD 7970. In US, I believe GTX 670 is cheaper than HD 7970. You might wanna check is AMD still includes the never settle bundle, FC3, hitman, and sleeping dog for free with the HD 79XX series.

HD 7970 beats GTX 680 in BF3, Skyrim, and GTX 670 in most other games.

BF3:

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/603/bench/BF3_...

Skyrim:

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/603/bench/Skyr...

Rest of bench:
http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/

You have seen the far cry 3, which is an aberration. But, it is an AMD sponsored game, so AMD may fix the problem.

But, its your pick. Just wanna offer some opposite view.

The 7970s are cheaper than the 680s. I think I will go with a 7970 because it is pointless to spend more money to get a card that 'may' have be worse. I will also be using multiple monitors so Eyefinity is a plus :)  I'm just choosing a 7970 than I would like to buy now! Oh, and that free game, thing, is still available in NZ. So I can get Far Cry 3 for free :D 

- Sam

EDIT:

I've decided to go with the EVGA 670 FTW. I found it has what I want, at a very low price. I thank you guys for your help in getting me a variety of information until I chose a card. I look forward to working towards my new system and seeing the benchmarks that I'll be getting makes me very happy.

Thanks for all you help!
- Sam

Score
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 1:08:27 AM

Actually i never said the 670 gtx will have better performance, i said it just have about the same performance, the 670 gtx that i'm talking about has a 680 gtx pcb and is one of the best 670 gtx card not a simple 670 gtx reference card.
I just recommended the 670 gtx if going for sli, cause it's more cheaper, about same fps and there is more smoothness and driver support with nvidia for that.
There is no question that the 7970 lightning will perform better than the 670 gtx or even slightly better than the 680 gtx TF.
The nvidia cards also comes with games such as assassins creed 3.
But if planning to go with a 7970, go with the msi 7970 lightning.
Score
December 9, 2012 1:14:38 AM

Best answer selected by samotage.
Score
December 9, 2012 1:22:06 AM

After having a good think about which card to get, even though I posted that I would get the 670. I now think the 7970 is a better choice. For $100 more it will preform better with multiple monitors, even if it is a pain to set up Eyefinity, and it will run everything perfectly. What would be better XFired 7970s or SLI 670s?
Score
December 9, 2012 1:26:45 AM

Hey dude, one more b4 you leave.

Search radeon pro, it helps with stuttering
Score
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 1:29:12 AM

For performance without caring the prices go with the 7970 lightning crossfire is the clear winner, if not go with 670 gtx, it will have less performance, but better driver support for sli and more smoothness less micro stuttering.
True there is the radeon pro, but still it has more problems than nvidia counter part.
But either way, you'll have good cards for triple monitor.
Score
December 9, 2012 1:31:52 AM

Looks like I will go with the Original choice and get the EVGA 670 FTW. After a bit of research the FTW is a great card by what I have read! Thanks for helping everyone :D 

- Sam
Score
December 9, 2012 1:40:16 AM

djangoringo said:
For performance without caring the prices go with the 7970 lightning crossfire is the clear winner, if not go with 670 gtx, it will have less performance, but better driver support for sli and more smoothness less micro stuttering.
True there is the radeon pro, but still it has more problems than nvidia counter part.
But either way, you'll have good cards for triple monitor.

Thanks for all your help. I'll go with a 670 FTW and probably buy 2. Thank you so much for everything you have done! :D 

- Sam
Score
!