I got a new computer and the specs are amazing yet I still get lag in

maz1ydas

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
So I got a present and it was this "amazing" computer, when i looked at the specs I thought this is probably better than anything i've ever seen, and now i stress and nearly cry over the problems over i'm having.
I run in windows 7 ultimate (64-bit) (screen resolution 1680 x 1050)
AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor (8CPUs), 3.6GHz
16gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

Now i'm confused, this as i know should be able to run skyrim and gta 4 in maximum settings in high fps yet when i try to go on gta 4 with max settings i lag. And i find this absolutely bullshit, it's legit bought game from steam and i just lag and stutter i got in terrible fps when i start looking around. And the same with minecraft it runs at 80-120 fps in a newly generated world and 40-55 fps in an area that's fully built full of blocks of everything. I'm really stressed about gta 4 though i should be able to play it in high fps even with the high detail mods yet i run in low fps with low settings. Please help me i honestly need it I'm seriously stressing out so bad now :fou:

edgewood112358

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
You're right, you should be able to run those games at max settings. First off, you should update all your drivers. A old or incorrect video card driver could be causing your problems with gta 4 and skyrim. As far as minecraft goes, it's a very un-optimized game that can only run one thread, meaning your 8 core CPU is no better than a hypothetical dual core bulldozer (Also, the AMD bulldozer architecture isn't particularly good in single threaded tasks, but it should still be able to run minecraft fine). As long as it runs well (>30fps) I would be inclined not to worry about it.

maz1ydas

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Yea but i want to record and do lets plays i want to use this computer that's why i wanted the processor and ram even though i might not use it all i plan on using this computer for the next few year. I have no idea how to find the updates for my drivers it seems everything is already updates anyway. It's really bugging me! do you have any other suggestions? And what do you mean by "A old or incorrect video card driver could be causing your problems with gta 4 and skyrim."?

with new people and pc i tell them to run cpu-z and save the system info screen. there are drivers for the mb that you should update. also check that the mb that installed the bios info has all the patches done. (should have been done by the builder).
with cpu-z check that your ram is running at it rated speed. the spd tab will show the rated speed info. then run gpu-z and check that the video card is read right and the bus speed is right. older mb will run the newer pci cards at pci mode 2 at 16x speed. newer mb with the right chipset can run the newer cards in pci 3x mode. also make sure you download from microsoft the directx june installer. the directx updater has a known bug for not installing the newest direct 10 patches.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

maz1ydas

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

http://valid.canardpc.com/2609081 here's the cpu-z i honestly don't know what to do

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

With the Minecraft Problem, have you allocated more RAM to Java? Java doesn't do it automatically so you must manually give more RAM to Java so Minecraft has more FPS. I have a GTX 560 and 8gb of RAM. I allocated 4gb of RAM to MC and it runs at over 300 FPS. Here's how to allocate more RAM for MC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip6Z_NIWOSc

Hope that helps!
- Sam

maz1ydas

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Trust me i've tried this i allocated 12 gb of just to test then 8 then 4 nothing changed at all :/ what on earth?

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
First thing to do, is you should update your Video Driver to the newest revision to see if it helps.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-310.70-driver.html
This is the most recently released 310 version, which provides decent performance improvements.

GTA IV is a poorly optimized game that is extremely CPU intensive, I am almost certain that it is a CPU bottleneck.

***Try also downloading Coretemp, and have it running in the background whilst you play a game for a bit, this is to make sure your CPU isn't overheating causing it to throttle.

maz1ydas

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Alrighty i'll try i'll give you the results whenever i can

maz1ydas

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

I played garry's mod for several hours and maximum core temp was 37 degrees Celsius

maz1ydas

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

I played far cry 3 for a few hours with lag on medium settings which was bs... Still all i reached was 38 degrees celsius...

mike789

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Its unlucky that now its your time to learn "by default". Have patience, be calm. To have a modern PC for gaming is not that simple. If it were, average people would not buy consoles at all. If everything is new and software and all then its a hardware issue. When I first built a PC the gpu that came with it was malfunctioning and the store changed it for me. Once after that I had other lag problems and I decided to disassemble the PC, changed a few wires, ports, and somehow I got lucky and everything after was normal

It's almost certainly a CPU bottleneck. The FX-8150 is pretty weak for gaming, as are all AMD FX processors. You'd be better off with a newer i3, while i5s and i7s are so far ahead they don't even really compare. It's an architecture contest, it's not about the number of cores or what GHz they run at.