Finding Open Ports

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hello,

I am trying to get a program working at my work so that i can view the
computer at home. I am using RealVNC. http://www.realvnc.com/support.html
This program works great if I am at my work pc and need to connect to my
home desktop. However I cannot seem to find an open port to connect through
to connect from home to work. The help desk will not help in this situation
because the company does not support the program, however they hinted that
by experimenting, that i might find an open port to use it. Is there an easy
way to find out what ports might be accessible to assign this program to?
Does nestat tell this information? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Freezer
1 answer Last reply
More about finding open ports
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    Frozen wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to get a program working at my work so that i can view the
    > computer at home. I am using RealVNC. http://www.realvnc.com/support.html
    > This program works great if I am at my work pc and need to connect to my
    > home desktop. However I cannot seem to find an open port to connect through
    > to connect from home to work. The help desk will not help in this situation
    > because the company does not support the program, however they hinted that
    > by experimenting, that i might find an open port to use it. Is there an easy
    > way to find out what ports might be accessible to assign this program to?
    > Does nestat tell this information? Thank you for any help you can offer.
    >
    > Freezer

    Freeze,
    you need a port scanner....

    I'm surprised that your help desk was willing to allow you to
    exeperiment with this, as it could be a huge security hole.

    However, concerns aside, find a windows port scanner, point it at your
    company IP address and see what happens.
    Once you have an open port, you will need to get your help desk to route
    packets from that port to your office PC. If there is a firewall,
    your office PC may also be blocked from sending the data.

    If you have a real need to access company files over the internet, the
    normal approach is a VPN which will securely tunnel a LAN connection
    over the internet (so you become part of your company network at home)
    If you read my previous post, I'm looking into this at the moment...

    Jason

    --
    www.precious-world.co.uk
    Fossils, Minerals, Essential Oils.