How do you process RAW images?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 18, 2005 12:42:24 AM

I just got the Canon Rebel XT - my first digital camera. I'm trying to
figure out the best way to process the RAW images. I have the software that
came with the Canon and Photoshop CS2. Should I make any adjustments in the
RAW image? If so, which software should I use? Do I then convert to a tif to
work in Photoshop? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-
FOR SCENIC, NATURE PHOTOGRAPHS OF HAWAII, WATERFALLS, RAINBOWS & MORE
VISIT MY WEBSITE, SUSAN A. LEVINE PHOTOGRAPHIC ART
http://www.lbdassociates.com/salphotos/

More about : process raw images

August 18, 2005 12:42:25 AM

You should buy "Real World Camera RAW" by Bruce Fraser. I bought it a
while ago when I got Photoshop CS and it was tremendously helpful
getting started. I would use CS2 for everything, that way you can do
your RAW conversion and any editing using the same application. I
would probably expect to save any images that I have worked on in PSD
(photoshop) format. As far as adjustments, it depends on your taste
and the image you're working on. Anyway, the book is really helpful,
someone on this group suggested I get it and I am glad I did. There is
also a lot of data out there on the web - there might be something on
adobe support about using ACR...

Brian
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 1:34:40 AM

In article <QiNMe.2921$yb.1785@trndny01>, salevine@lbdassociates.com
says...
> I just got the Canon Rebel XT - my first digital camera. I'm trying to
> figure out the best way to process the RAW images. I have the software that
> came with the Canon and Photoshop CS2. Should I make any adjustments in the
> RAW image? If so, which software should I use? Do I then convert to a tif to
> work in Photoshop? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you've got CS2, just make sure you have the latest version of Camera
Raw (3.1, I believe) downloaded and installed.

You can open and process the image in Photoshop without saving it as an
intermediary file.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
August 18, 2005 1:34:41 AM

Brian Baird wrote:
> In article <QiNMe.2921$yb.1785@trndny01>, salevine@lbdassociates.com
> says...
>
>>I just got the Canon Rebel XT - my first digital camera. I'm trying to
>>figure out the best way to process the RAW images. I have the software that
>>came with the Canon and Photoshop CS2. Should I make any adjustments in the
>>RAW image? If so, which software should I use? Do I then convert to a tif to
>>work in Photoshop? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>

> If you've got CS2, just make sure you have the latest version of Camera
> Raw (3.1, I believe) downloaded and installed.
>
> You can open and process the image in Photoshop without saving it as an
> intermediary file.

As to adjustments you might make at the RAW conversion stage (using PS2;
try the other well after you've become comfortable with the PS process),
this is where you balance the color temp. and tweak the exposure with
the least ill effects to the image. There are a couple dozen other
settings you can tweak, but unless your monitor is calibrated, you might
want to hold off on these for now.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

I checked - I have Camera Raw 3.1. When I open a cr2 file, it brings up a
different screen - not the standard Photoshop one. It doesn't have all the
options that the main Photoshop screen has (unsharpen mask, etc.). Am I
missing something??? Thanks.

-
"Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
> In article <QiNMe.2921$yb.1785@trndny01>, salevine@lbdassociates.com
> says...
> > I just got the Canon Rebel XT - my first digital camera. I'm trying to
> > figure out the best way to process the RAW images. I have the software
that
> > came with the Canon and Photoshop CS2. Should I make any adjustments in
the
> > RAW image? If so, which software should I use? Do I then convert to a
tif to
> > work in Photoshop? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> If you've got CS2, just make sure you have the latest version of Camera
> Raw (3.1, I believe) downloaded and installed.
>
> You can open and process the image in Photoshop without saving it as an
> intermediary file.
> --
> http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:21:59 AM

In article <pPPMe.3215$yb.2976@trndny01>, salevine@lbdassociates.com
says...
> I checked - I have Camera Raw 3.1. When I open a cr2 file, it brings up a
> different screen - not the standard Photoshop one. It doesn't have all the
> options that the main Photoshop screen has (unsharpen mask, etc.). Am I
> missing something??? Thanks.

You use that screen to do basic RAW conversion tasks - adjust exposure,
shadows, contrast, white balance, etc. You can even do some lens
correcting. After that, finish opening the file and you'll be all set
to resize, sharpen and all your other Photoshop tasks.

--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:42:24 GMT, "Rainbow Girl Sue"
<salevine@lbdassociates.com> wrote:

>I just got the Canon Rebel XT - my first digital camera. I'm trying to
>figure out the best way to process the RAW images. I have the software that
>came with the Canon and Photoshop CS2. Should I make any adjustments in the
>RAW image? If so, which software should I use? Do I then convert to a tif to
>work in Photoshop? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Get, read and study:

_Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2_ by Bruce Fraser

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/032133409...

"A nice man is a man of nasty ideas."

_Introductions to History of the Reformation_
Jonathan Swift
1667-1745
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:47:47 AM

Rainbow Girl Sue wrote:
> I just got the Canon Rebel XT - my first digital camera. I'm trying to
> figure out the best way to process the RAW images. I have the software that
> came with the Canon and Photoshop CS2. Should I make any adjustments in the
> RAW image? If so, which software should I use? Do I then convert to a tif to
> work in Photoshop? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You should also give RAWShooter a try. It's free and is very good.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 10:55:01 AM

Rainbow Girl Sue wrote:
> I just got the Canon Rebel XT - my first digital camera. I'm trying to
> figure out the best way to process the RAW images.

Developer -> stop bath -> fixer -> wash -> dry. :-)

> I have the software that came with the Canon and Photoshop CS2.

I load the files straight into CS2 using the Adobe Raw 3.1 plug-in but
others prefer the output of other converters.

-Mike
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 4:06:11 PM

No - this is normal. From this section you can make your initial
adjustments - then when you're finished it feeds it through to the photoshop
that you've come to know and love.

news:p PPMe.3215$yb.2976@trndny01...

!