First PC Build - PSU Wattage?

sewerslider

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Hello all! I'm getting ready for my first PC build. I have already picked out my components and am almost ready to purchase. I just have a few questions regarding power supply wattage. I used some of those PS calculator websites to determine what size PSU to get. I got my results, so here are my questions:

1. How accurate are those power supply calculator websites? Can I trust the results? (I used some from actual PSU manufacturer's websites)

2. My results averaged out to about 720W. What size PSU should I go with? Is 750 enough, or should I move up to an 850? (I have already figured for adding on later; SLI; extra HDDs; another optical drive, etc.)

3. Will it hurt your system having a PSU much larger than you actually need?

I appreciate any and all input. Thank you for your time. :)

sewerslider

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

Thank you for the help.

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Power ratings on most psu are jokes. There is no standards use to establish the wattage that a psu puts out. Temperature has a big effect on output. Some brands use 20C but the case temp maybe 40 to 50C. Real output can drop by half with higher temps. Output can be peak rather than continuous. The quality of the DC output can deteriorate when the psu is pushed. So the reputation of the brand is far more important than just wattage. Check RealHardTechx.com psu review database for reviews. Also how a brand handles warrant claims are important too. So what if you get a replacement psu but all your burned out part are not covered.

[.

sewerslider

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012