Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Start windows with everything loaded while in welcome/loging window

Last response: in Windows 7
March 8, 2012 4:43:31 AM

Hello everyone,

I just got windows 7 and I really want to put a password on my new rig since it will have games. And i frequently get visits from my little cousins, nephews and nieces, and i really wouldn't want them to be touching my computer, especially when im at work or school.

But, the gripe that i have with putting a password on my machine is that: If i start up my computer after a shut down, it wont load any of the programs until i put in the password (i usually do something else like washing faces or cooking while computer boots up). I think its a waste of time. So what i wanted to know was that: is there any function in windows 7 where i can tell it to load all of my stuff even if its on the login/welcome screen? That way i can go afk and do what i have to do without having to come back and let the computer load which wastes more time.

I know, it doesn't take long at all to load at all, especially with my new rig, but i think its just a process that should of been down while i was afk.

Also, I know about the sleep mode feature, which is nice. But sometimes i just want to turn off my computer just to let it completely rest as a shutdown here and there is always nice for your computer.

any input would be nice and thank you.
a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2012 4:56:04 AM

Not that I am aware of. But putting things on delay start will improve your load time.

Or maybe a bios password without Window password?
Score
March 8, 2012 5:08:06 AM

Pyree said:
Not that I am aware of. But putting things on delay start will improve your load time.

Or maybe a bios password without Window password?

Hmm... load time does not bother me at all. My computer does a good job in loading my programs pretty fast. takes about 10-15 seconds for it to fully load the start up programs, net card, and so forth. But, i think all that stuff should of been pre-loaded while my computer is on the welcome screen u know what i mean?

That way i can just hop onto my computer as if it was just waking up from sleep/hibernate mode.

and for bios password, from what i understand, it only works when someone wants to change the bios setting...?

If thats the case, i wont need that. I dont think my little cousins, nieces, and nephews are smart enough to enter that, not to mention, the splash screen on my mobo is extremely fast, even for me sometimes.

but thank you for your input.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2012 5:38:34 AM

I don't mean the admin password for changing the bios settings, although it is a good idea as well (you never know, your nephew, niece etc can be a regular user here and want to try some overclocking on your rig!). I mean the user password that is require for the system to start. Check your bios to see if function is supported.
Score
March 8, 2012 6:03:27 AM

Pyree said:
I don't mean the admin password for changing the bios settings, although it is a good idea as well (you never know, your nephew, niece etc can be a regular user here and want to try some overclocking on your rig!). I mean the user password that is require for the system to start. Check your bios to see if function is supported.

ah yeah that. okay ill check it out and see if anything comes up. and yeah, now that i think about it, i probably should put a pw on my bios settings....
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2012 8:16:52 AM

Google vbscript workstation lock script, create it and put a short cut in your stratup folder. This will autmatically lock machine at startup, but allow the apps to load in the background.
a c 228 $ Windows 7
March 8, 2012 11:06:30 AM

All services will start before you login anyhow. Only stuff in your startup folder and stuff in the registry's "run" folder will run after you login. Don't put stuff in your startup folder unless necessary.
Score
March 8, 2012 11:24:53 AM

Why not just have the computer powered off when they are there. I mean i am a bit confused. Your saying that you want it to be locked so only you can use it while they are there. But you don't want them to use it while they are there. ha, why not just stand by the computer until its windows, i mean it only takes like what 15 seconds, thats only 1/3 of a kid's cuisine dinner in the microwave... And there isnt much they can do within that time. Just pop in the food and step away for just 15 seconds. Just 15 seconds. then when you walk away for longer. Why not try Screen Lock. I know Windows has a Screen Lock Option. So then when you come back to your computer, the only thing they will be able to type in is incorrect passwords. Now if they are tech savy, the only way to keep them from using your computer. Is to move it to another room and use it once they are gone. I mean Unless you lock EVERYTHING on your computer, most kids from 9^ have mild usage of computers. I mean i started using them since i was about 8.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 8, 2012 11:46:57 AM

You could also create an account for them and use the parental settings to restrict what they can and can't do and that account doesn't need to have a password. This will not only keep your profile data safe from them but also keep them from screwing the computer entirely. I don't know how to write vbscript but you can place short cuts to any program you want to start when the computer starts up in the folder called "Startup". Every time the computer starts up and you log in anything listed there will automatically start up.
Score
March 8, 2012 12:05:47 PM

My vote would be for the BIOS/HDD password. This is especially true for laptops, because without the correct entry the data on the drive is essentially unreadable in the event of a theft, which is less likely on your desktop, but still. Plus it is entered as soon as the system is powered up so you circumvent your data loading concerns.

Score
March 12, 2012 9:41:11 AM

das_stig said:
Google vbscript workstation lock script, create it and put a short cut in your stratup folder. This will autmatically lock machine at startup, but allow the apps to load in the background.

Ah nice. yeah thats exactly what im looking for. thanks a lot!
Score
March 12, 2012 9:41:28 AM

Best answer selected by phunnyconflicts.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 12, 2012 9:48:21 AM

This topic has been closed by Pyree
Score
!