Dual 2560x1440 monitors to late 2012 mac mini

shooter_z

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hello everyone,

I had a question I hope the community could help out with.

Here it is:

I have a new mac mini 2.6 quad core i7.
I would like to connect two 27" crossover 2560 x 1440 displays to it.
Before anyone says to just get 2 thunderbolt displays and call it a day, I have already went way over budget. I had to make a decision on upgrading my camera gear or getting the displays. I have read a lot of positive responses to the Korean IPS displays that use the same LG guts from the thunderbolt minus the $999.00 pricetag.
So a 2 for 1 sounds good to me. Anyone know a reputable ebay seller or have a link to one that will work for my set up?

I know that I will need the apple dual link dvi with the usb connection plugged in to get the
full resolution of one monitor. I want to know if it's possible to get the second monitor to work with the
HDMI port? I've read from other posts that it is possible to get the full 2560 x 1440 resolution this way only if
your HDMI is v1.4
I have read on the apple description that the HDMI port will only allow a max res of 1080p.
I know most gamers are able to use software like (switch res) to tweak their HDMI to get this to work at full res - but that is on the pc side of the fence. Don't know if apple has anything like this?

If this will not work, can I just split the output on the end of the dual link dvi adapter and connect both displays that way? I always used an imac and never needed a second display.
Now that I have the new mini, I will just be using it for photo editing and would like to have the main screen display thumbnails in light room. And have the second displaying full sized images in photoshop etc.

BTW, I have maxed out the ram to 16gb, and installed 2 intel 520 ssd's in raid 0 with trim enabled as the boot drive. This little box moves quick! I am very happy with the performance so far. I currently have an LG ips led monitor attached via hdmi port.
Don't get me wrong, The hdmi looks great. I would just prefer to get the max out of the card if possible.

Thanks in advance for the help.
You folks are the best.

reCon