Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Some helpful advice/revisions for my first build please

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2013 3:45:55 AM

Hello I am planning on building my first computer, which I am really excited about. Now, I made this list on pcparts picker and I was wondering is there anything I could change/revise/downgrade/upgrade/swap, etc. I will take all advice, and even criticism so feel free to post. This is my first build so if I messed something up and it's obvious please tell.

Also, I am overclocking, I will use this cpu for gaming mostly and school, but no media related items. The games I play are minecraft, Bf3, far cry 3. If there is any other info you want me to add then please just say so.
-Thanks for helping me!
Build:

Base Total: $1272.46
Mail-in Rebates: -$65.00
Shipping: $5.67
Total: $1213.13

Do I really need a soundcard? If I do what is a good one to get? Also if you have any good deals like substitutes, etc., that can save me money please post them! If you have any advice please post, I would love feedback on how to improve it!

Thank you AMD Radeon changed it to the Corsair 400R ATX MidTower,and there was a combo with the psu I was getting so I got a $10.00 mail-in-rebate than $10.00 combo too! :) 

I also went with the OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk.

I went with the Asus VS229H-P 21.5" Monitor also

New Total:

Base Total: $1238.17
Mail-in Rebates: -$45.00
Shipping: $5.67
Total: $1198.8

Best solution

January 24, 2013 3:54:16 AM

cant argue with your build :)  awesome, but you paid to much on case.. corsair 300R/400R will be much more appropriate
Related resources
January 24, 2013 4:00:34 AM

You don't need a sound card, no.

For that price, I'd get a Vertex 4 SSD. It'll be faster and just as reliable, if not more reliable. (People hate on OCZ, but they got their act together when they changed to in-house controllers rather than sandforce controllers.)

Oh, and AMD Radeon is making a common mistake. His "2ms" refresh rate monitor has the SAME DAMN REFRESH RATE as your "5ms" one, because that 2ms is the GtG (gray to grey) refresh rate... which is measuring an entirely different thing than a regular refresh rate, and is 2ms when the normal refresh rate is 5ms.
m
l
January 24, 2013 4:08:33 AM

DarkSable said:
You don't need a sound card, no.

For that price, I'd get a Vertex 4 SSD. It'll be faster and just as reliable, if not more reliable. (People hate on OCZ, but they got their act together when they changed to in-house controllers rather than sandforce controllers.)

Oh, and AMD Radeon is making a common mistake. His "2ms" refresh rate monitor has the SAME DAMN REFRESH RATE as your "5ms" one, because that 2ms is the GtG (gray to grey) refresh rate... which is measuring an entirely different thing than a regular refresh rate, and is 2ms when the normal refresh rate is 5ms.

Ok so no sound card ok. I'll look into a Vertex 4 SSD? Do you have a link they're five diff. ones on pcpartpicker
So wait are the monitors good or bad?
I was looking into this one its a smaller version of his http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005S0XYKK/?tag=pcpapi-20

What about this Vertex 4 SSD?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!