SB16 emulation, is it needed?

troopr

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2001
What is SB16 emulation and is it needed? I want to remove it from device mgr. to free up and IRQ. Will this cause any problems? Thanx for your reply

Joe

G

it emmulates dos drivers/ Do I need it to do this since i have winME which cant be boot up into DOS mode?

and older sound compatibility/ by this do you mean old programs? I can deal with not being able to run some old programs

I realy need the extra IRQ that it takes up

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can either go into the Properties for the 16-bit emulation and allow it to share an IRQ with the printer port, or just disable it. If you aren't going to be running older games, you don't need it.

I doubt that you'll ever notice that it isn't running.

If you really need a free IRQ, disable a serial port in the BIOS, unless you have a device that needs it. Even if you have a dial-up modem going through COM1 or COM2, it only needs one IRQ.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>