Sign in with
Your question

Which nvidia card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2012 2:23:50 AM

I already have a single nvidia 560 ti and i'm running into some performance issues playing skyrim. It's a 1 GB card and I've got pretty much every texture pack I can find on the game. Which I understand taxes my mid-range card quiet a big. But the big question is "where is my bottleneck?" video RAM or graphics horsepower? I have the option of throwing another 560 ti in my machine but because of the way SLI works I'm not sure that it will increase my performance enough. The other option is getting a 2 GB 660 ti which I know will get me where I want but wont be as good as the SLI setup for every other game.

Other specs for reference:

Intel i7-3770k running at 4.0 Ghz

Diablotech 775 W power supply

Patriot Viper 16 GB RAM at 1600 Mhz

Nvidia 430 (Only used for physX)

ASRock extreme4 mobo

More about : nvidia card

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 9, 2012 2:31:48 AM

The VRAM available is less. Thats the bottleneck.

Wait for next-gen cards, 560Ti is enough till this year.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 9, 2012 2:35:51 AM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
The VRAM available is less. Thats the bottleneck.

Wait for next-gen cards, 560Ti is enough till this year.

Not good to get in the waiting game, it never ends. First you are waiting until the 780 comes out. Then it does, but will be sold at quite a premium, maybe $700. So you are waiting for it to come down in price. then you are looking at the better part of a year gone by waiting.
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2012 2:36:27 AM

Oh and I have the ability to get an nvidia 560 ti reference card for about $125 dollars. So there's that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 9, 2012 2:39:17 AM

Now a top rated 660ti is about $300. You can get a 670 for $330. I'd recommend getting a 670 and SLI it in a year or so when it will be costing $200-250. This way you will have better performance right away and superb performance in a year.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 2:45:08 AM

SLI doesn't increase your VRAM.
I'd suggest using MSi Afterburner to see if your VRAM is being used up first.

Click settings>monitoring, scroll down to 'memory usage' and check 'show in on-screen display' then move to on-screen display tab, click 'more', set 'application detection level' to high, 'OSD support' to on and 'show own statistics' to on.

Now when you run Skyrim, you should see pink overlay saying MEM and how much of it is being used.
m
l
December 9, 2012 2:57:22 AM

Checked the VRAM with MSI and I'm using the entire 1 GB card's RAM.

Now I realize SLI doesn't increase VRAM but because you're processing it faster (with twice the bandwidth) wouldn't that increase my FPS?
m
l
a c 141 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 9, 2012 3:21:21 AM

Skyrim uses lots of video RAM with high res texture packs. The Bethesda high res textures will use up to 1.5GB at 1080p with ultra settings. Adding additional high res textures will bump up your memory usage to 1.8GB or more.

You need more video memory if you want all that eyecandy on, which means new video card. SLI isn't going to help you, your framerates will still be in the crapper because you don't have enough memory for all the high res textures.

I wouldn't recommend the 660Ti simply because it is overpriced compared how it performs. It is only 10% faster than the plain 660 but costs $80 more. Supposedly Nvidia will be dropping the price on the 660Tis in the near future, so you may want to wait a couple of weeks if you want to go that route.

The 660 is probably not a big enough jump over the 560Ti to justify the expense of an upgrade, and the 660Ti isn't much better, so that kind of leaves you with the 670 as your only real upgrade option on the Nvidia side right now. Otherwise, just turn off the high res textures for now, or come back to Skyrim later when there are better upgrade options available to you.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 5:24:09 AM

So what about switch to ATI/Radeon, have try.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 9, 2012 6:32:30 AM

babernet_1 said:
Not good to get in the waiting game, it never ends. First you are waiting until the 780 comes out. Then it does, but will be sold at quite a premium, maybe $700. So you are waiting for it to come down in price. then you are looking at the better part of a year gone by waiting.

When new GPU will come, it will be high but it would be worth it.
They'll be high but they'll come in reasonable performance for the price you pay. There will be the lower models too like this Gen's GTX 650.

If you can't afford them then get GTX 600 series, the prices will get down when the next-gen comes.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 9, 2012 6:40:32 AM

R7950 or GTX 670 get my vote!
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 9, 2012 6:44:30 AM

a650 is lower down than a 560. sli-ing 560's won't help anything. you'll still be strangled by 1gig vram. the best option for least amount of money would be a standard 660. there would be no vram issues ( it has 2gigs ) and it will out perform the 560 by a large margin and you can use your physx card with it.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 9, 2012 6:47:26 AM

swifty_morgan said:
a650 is lower down than a 560. sli-ing 560's won't help anything. you'll still be strangled by 1gig vram. the best option for least amount of money would be a standard 660. there would be no vram issues ( it has 2gigs ) and it will out perform the 560 by a large margin and you can use your physx card with it.
+1 to this if you honestly cannot afford 670 i would agree with this recommendation. ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 9, 2012 7:00:50 AM

What games do you play?
I had a 560ti and it played everything at High (not Ultra) settings. Now, with my 660ti I can crank things up to Ultra w/ 4xMSAA on BF3. Works great on my 1080p.
The 670 would be an extra $50, but not needed for my use.

If you can sell your 560ti for a decent price, then I recommend 660ti.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 9, 2012 8:50:31 AM

Hello mate!

I owned the exact same Card as you before. It died in the summer and I got the GTX 660 from the store instead. I can tell you, as you notcied yourself, that it is the vram that is bottlenecking. Skyrim uses about 1,2 GB in average which your GPU can't provide.

SLI won't help you in skyrim because it won't increase the vram.

GTX 660 isn't that much ahead in performance like 10-20%, if we forget bout the vram. So as the other Guys mentioned at least GTX 660 ti, GTX 670 would be my suggestion too.
m
l
December 10, 2012 6:16:45 PM

decided to bite the bullet and got myself a 660 ti from my local best buy (they know me there so I got it for $260). It's the EVGA superclocked edition and I have to say it flies. That extra gig of graphics memory makes skyrim a dream and it can max out battlefield 3 with ease.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 6:22:07 PM

awesome............. I'll take one at that price too. LOL
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 7:20:37 PM

ragenalien said:
decided to bite the bullet and got myself a 660 ti from my local best buy (they know me there so I got it for $260). It's the EVGA superclocked edition and I have to say it flies. That extra gig of graphics memory makes skyrim a dream and it can max out battlefield 3 with ease.

Glad to hear mate!
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 10:21:13 PM

ragenalien said:
Congrats!As long as your happy with it that's all that matters. ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 12, 2012 12:06:55 PM

Good decision. The 660ti is fantastic.
m
l
!