IP Forwarding not Port Forwarding

rst1793

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I'm looking for a router currently on the market that provides "ip forwarding". Said router should be able to redirect and ip coming from within my network going out to another ip address on the internet, say google. Any recommendations ?

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish? Your router does this anyhow. Type www.google.com in your browser and your router directs it to google. Type in www.microsoft.com, and it directs it to microsoft. If you are using a client/server program, go into the client's settings and give it an address to connect to.

Psymonwalker

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I am looking for the same thing. I have a phone that has to have an outside IP address to work port forwarding will not work. ATT modem does IP forwarding, but I just moved to cable. I need a router that does IP forwarding.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

rst1793

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I recently purchased a TV that's supposed to be able to access the internet. What I've discovered is the vendor has the IP address set in the TV to its own web site. Once at the web site you cant access anything outside the site. In short the content available to the owner is solely limited to what the vendor provides at its site.

This lead me to look into a possible solution. What I've found in comments on the web is something called IP redirection or forwarding. This is not Port Forwarding and its concerns the ability to specify a IP address and translate it to another. However I havent been able to find specifics on a router that one would buy for your home. Apparently this is a standard feature in business class routers.

The idea then would be to place this router in between the TV and my existing router which connects directly to the cable modem. Using this router in the middle I could code the IP address set by the TV vendor and forward it to another IP, say google.

So, any ideas ?

rst1793

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Its a SONY KDL-EX720 (new in 2011), and yes I'd check very carefully any device that claims its internet capable.

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

Okay, for this instant, when you bought the TV, the salesperson would have told you that either yours is a Smart TV, or a Internet TV. Although Smart TV is internet capable, but because its smart, so it will have preloaded websites in the TV itself. You cant add or do anything to it. Only the whole website that it included in the TV.

Whereas for internet TV, you can browse the internet and do whatever you want. Just like a computer without a physical mouse and a keyboard.

So this is why you cant log to other sites through your Smart TV unless it stated that yours is an internet TV.

rst1793

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I did ask, and if you check the SONY website it does state this model as an "Internet TV". So until you have one, or a review specifically points this out you really dont know. In the end "Buyer Beware".