HD 7750 using DX9 even though it's DX10/11 compatible?

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Hi guys!!
I recently installed Sapphire HD 7750 GDDR5 1GB graphic card in my system.
This is my first graphic card so obviously I'm new to some things.

I was just browsing through the CCC settings, getting familiar with it.
I noticed a strange(?) discrepancy.
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit which has DX11 installed by default.
However CCC reports that I've Direct3D version 9.14.10.0926
nova7t.jpg

Does this mean the graphic card is using DirectX 9?
If so, what can be done so that the card starts using DX10/11?

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

The dxdiag dialog box displays that DirectX 11 is installed.
But that doesn't mean the graphic card itself is also using DX 11, does it?
I mean, you can install the DX 11 even if your graphic card doesn't support it...
My previous on board graphics certainly didn't!!

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

So as long as you have DirectX 11 installed the graphic card will automatically use it?
Or do you need specify it somewhere explicitly?
Like how some games come with two separate launchers and you can select which version you want to run Dx9 or Dx10...

My brother plays a lot of old games, some of which automatically install their own version of DirectX(7/8/9)
I thought Dx11 files may have been replaced by older ones. I tried re installing DX11 but the version no. (in CCC) didn't change and got confused...

Kari

Splendid

mostly this..

My brother plays a lot of old games, some of which automatically install their own version of DirectX(7/8/9)
I thought Dx11 files may have been replaced by older ones. I tried re installing DX11 but the version no. (in CCC) didn't change and got confused...
they dont or shouldn't overwrite anything. IIRC directx 9.0c should support all the previous versions (or include them), dx10 and 11 are different in a way that they only have support for a single dx version. (dx11 might support dx10 as well, not sure about this)
Quite alot of games ship with dx updater that updates the dx files to the ones needed for the game to run, if newer files are present/detected updating is not needed. It actually says on the dx updater when it's running something like "Checking for directX files, updating when necessary" or something like that. And just to make things more confusing there are several versions of dx9.0c since they have been updating it and not changed the version number...