Sign in with
Your question

HD 7750 using DX9 even though it's DX10/11 compatible?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2012 5:48:04 AM

Hi guys!!
I recently installed Sapphire HD 7750 GDDR5 1GB graphic card in my system.
This is my first graphic card so obviously I'm new to some things.

I was just browsing through the CCC settings, getting familiar with it.
I noticed a strange(?) discrepancy.
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit which has DX11 installed by default.
However CCC reports that I've Direct3D version 9.14.10.0926

Does this mean the graphic card is using DirectX 9?
If so, what can be done so that the card starts using DX10/11?
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 5:57:37 AM

Try playing a game with Direct X 11 support like Blacklight retribution.

It may also be CC being wrong
Hit your windows key and type dxdiag (this page also has intructions near the top http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/Diagnosing-... )
On the first tab that pop up it should say the Direct x version near the bottom
Something like this
m
l
December 9, 2012 6:08:46 AM

stickmansam said:
Try playing a game with Direct X 11 support like Blacklight retribution.

It may also be CC being wrong
Hit your windows key and type dxdiag (this page also has intructions near the top http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/Diagnosing-... )
On the first tab that pop up it should say the Direct x version near the bottom
Something like this
http://bakouny.webs.com/Kinect/DirectX_Diagnostic_Tool.JPG

The dxdiag dialog box displays that DirectX 11 is installed.
But that doesn't mean the graphic card itself is also using DX 11, does it?
I mean, you can install the DX 11 even if your graphic card doesn't support it...
My previous on board graphics certainly didn't!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 6:40:52 AM

Hmm you also try aome benchmark tools like furmakr or 3dmark and see if yoi can run direct x 11 mode

So we can now confirm its probably not an OS issue i guess and probaly driver thing
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 7:27:06 AM

CCC shows Direct3D Version as 9.14.10.0942 on my systems and I most defiantly can play DirectX 11 games with no problems at all. Not sure but I think CCC is showing AMD's version number and not the DirectX verison.
m
l
a c 86 U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 9:30:21 AM

CCC is showing the version number of the direct3d part of amd's graphics drivers, has nothing to do with the actuall directX version you are running
m
l
December 9, 2012 12:28:21 PM

bryonhowley said:
CCC shows Direct3D Version as 9.14.10.0942 on my systems and I most defiantly can play DirectX 11 games with no problems at all. Not sure but I think CCC is showing AMD's version number and not the DirectX verison.

Kari said:
CCC is showing the version number of the direct3d part of amd's graphics drivers, has nothing to do with the actuall directX version you are running

So as long as you have DirectX 11 installed the graphic card will automatically use it?
Or do you need specify it somewhere explicitly?
Like how some games come with two separate launchers and you can select which version you want to run Dx9 or Dx10...

My brother plays a lot of old games, some of which automatically install their own version of DirectX(7/8/9)
I thought Dx11 files may have been replaced by older ones. I tried re installing DX11 but the version no. (in CCC) didn't change and got confused...
m
l
a c 86 U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 2:03:58 PM

_kaos_ said:

Like how some games come with two separate launchers and you can select which version you want to run Dx9 or Dx10...

mostly this..

Quote:

My brother plays a lot of old games, some of which automatically install their own version of DirectX(7/8/9)
I thought Dx11 files may have been replaced by older ones. I tried re installing DX11 but the version no. (in CCC) didn't change and got confused...

they dont or shouldn't overwrite anything. IIRC directx 9.0c should support all the previous versions (or include them), dx10 and 11 are different in a way that they only have support for a single dx version. (dx11 might support dx10 as well, not sure about this)
Quite alot of games ship with dx updater that updates the dx files to the ones needed for the game to run, if newer files are present/detected updating is not needed. It actually says on the dx updater when it's running something like "Checking for directX files, updating when necessary" or something like that. And just to make things more confusing there are several versions of dx9.0c since they have been updating it and not changed the version number...
m
l
!