Is this a sufficient build

Hello all I first off would like to apologize if this is in the wrong Category. I am building a PC and this is my first time i would like to play games like borderlands and starcraft on high-ultra. Here are the specs

Processer: Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz

Ram: 8Gb 2x4

CPU cooling: Asetek 550lc liquid cooling

Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce 660ti

Motherboard: Asrock H61M-VS

Standard 600 watt power supply
12 answers Last reply
More about sufficient build
  1. Looks pretty decent. I don't know about the H61 chipset motherboard, though; I'd get H77.

Oh, and don't even bother getting a cooler, much less a liquid cooler. (You should NEVER get a closed-loop liquid cooler like that, but since neither your CPU nor your motherboard will even LET you overclock, the stock heatsink is more than sufficient.)

EDIT: That liquid cooler is even worse than most; it doesn't come with a fan, which you need to have, so that's extra cost.
  2. you do not need liquid cooling for a non overclocking CPU. The stock fan should be fine. Also, get a H77 motherboard, not a H61.

Edit: beaten to it
  3. I am getting the liquid cooling for free would the stock fan be better or would they be the same.
  4. Also, list the power supply model and manufacturer. One of the worst things that could ruin your build is a bad power supply.
  5. corsair builder series cx600
  6. Well, if it comes with a fan, then go for it. If it doesn't, which it normally doesn't, it's a bad idea.

(By the way, are you "customizing" this from some place? Please know that they're overcharging you by $500-$700, and that you could build a better computer for cheaper. It's actually easy, especially with the plethora of youtube videos; it's no harder than LEGOs were as a kid.)
  7. UPDATE

Processer: Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz Quad Core

Ram: 8Gb 2x4

CPU cooling: Asetek 550lc liquid cooling

Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce 660ti

Motherboard: Asrock H77

Power supply: corsair builder series cx600
  8. Hah nope im not that much of a noob :) I'm buying most parts from newegg
  9. Haha, okay, glad to hear it.

How are you getting the cooling for free, then? Just curious.

If it is actually free, then go with it and pick up a fan. I mean, why not?
  10. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  11. A friend of mine has an extra that hasn't been used
  12. That works. Yeah, just grab a (double check, but I think 120mm) fan for it, and you're good.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems