Nikon D50 Burst mode

The D50 comes with this feature. Can somebody explain what this is?
Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about nikon burst mode
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    In article <Xns96B5C5890F03Fajbrungmailcom@216.221.81.119>,
    aj <aj.brun@gmail.com> wrote:
    >The D50 comes with this feature. Can somebody explain what this is?

    (from the "Subject: " header -- for those whose newsreader does
    not display the "Subject: " while reading/responding-to the actual
    article:

    "Subject: Nikon D50 Burst mode"

    It is the same as that on the D70 and D70s (and many other
    cameras), other than the actual frame rate available, perhaps. I've got
    the same thing available on the Nikon N90s film camera, and I am *sure*
    that other makers offer similar things.

    It is the ability to take a continuous burst of images with one
    press of the shutter release button -- continuing until you release it.

    It is normally used by sports photographers, to minimize the need
    to predict the ideal moment for an action shot, and instead to increase
    the chances that they will get something reasonable out of a large
    number of shots.

    It is called "continuous shooting mode" in the manual (at least
    that for the D70). It will (on the D70) give three frames per second,
    until the buffer fills, and then slows down to a rate determined by the
    speed of your Compact Flash card (in the D70), or the speed of your SD
    card (in the D50).

    The number of shots before the buffer is filled varies with the
    size of the images which you have selected. The RAW images fill the
    buffer at 4 shots, while the smallest image at the lowest quality JPEG
    compression gets you to 49 shots. For many things, I set the camera to
    "Fine/Medium" (highest quality, medium image size), and at that setting
    I should get 7 shots before the slowdown.

    Note that slow shutter speeds will reduce the number of shots
    per second.

    So far, I have only used it to play with it -- not for serious
    shooting. The one time when I could have benefited from this feature
    was before I got the D70, and only had a CoolPix 950, for which,
    instead, I did a lot of holding the shutter button half depressed (so the
    autofocus and auto-exposure delays were past), until the actual expected
    event -- a toss of blossoms by a graduating class, which I managed to
    catch at a reasonable time. Yes -- I know that the CoolPix 950 has a
    similar mode, but I did not trust it for this application -- simply
    because I had not played with it.

    I hope that this helps,
    DoN.

SLR Nikon Photo Systems Cameras