ASUS P8Z77-V LK good enough for SLI GTX680s?

pentiumradeon

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I am putting together this build through ibuypower

Case-1 x Thermaltake Armor Revo Full Tower Gaming Case-Snow Edition
Case Lighting-1 x Meteor Light w/ 8 Speed settings-Blue
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion-1 x [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System
Processor-1 x Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache)-Intel Core i5-3570K w/ Intel Performance Tuning Protection
Processor Cooling-1 x Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System-ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
Memory-1 x 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module-Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Limited Edition
Video Card- Dual EVGA NVIDIA GTX 680 Superclocked
Motherboard-1 x ASUS P8Z77-V LK
PSU-1200 Watt Corsair CMPSU-1200AX
Primary Hard Drive-1 x 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s-Single Drive
Optical Drive-1 x 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive-Black
Meter Display-1 x NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller & Temperature Display-
Sound Card-1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard-
Network Card-1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)-
Operating System-1 x Windows 8 + Office 2010 Trial [Free 60-Day !!!]-64-bit

I am worrying about the SLI gtx680s. Ive never had a crossfire or SLI build, and am worried about heat being an issue, especially since they are "superclocked" My apt. temps are usually in the mid 60s

Interesting build. I see a few things that could be changed to save you some dough. First off, you don't need a 1200w psu. That is way overkill. 850w should do it. For the memory, I would go with 2*8GB so that you can upgrade in the future. If you are running three monitors for gaming, then SLI is necessary, if not, don't waste your money. Although its a good board, the Sabertooth is overpriced, I suggest something cheaper, like the ASRock Extreme4. To finally get to your question, any case that has a side intake fan should help cool those cards in SLI.

pentiumradeon

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Well, the PSU is on special it is only marginally more expensive than the 850. As for the RAM, im mainly going to use the computer for gaming, I think that 16 GB is already overkill, I was seriously considering just 8GB. As for the SLI, Ive seen how these cards run on 1920 by 1080, and Im the kind of guy who doesnt want his games going below 60fps, which for some reason the 680 is still not able to do with the latest games. That combined with the fact that I want to be ready for the next batch of next generation games (unreal 4 and such) and I probably will regret not getting the sli build when I had the chance. Oh as for the Sabertooth, I really didnt want to skimp out on the mb or proc thats why i went that route, dont want later to regret spending so much on all the extras and have a budget mobo dissapoint or fail.

pentiumradeon

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Cant select that, im going pre built. Besides I will OC down the road, when the games start demanding it, just not yet. want to extend the life of the processor as much as possible. If I ditch the sabertooth however, will the ASUS P8Z77-V LK be a good choice for SLI with the dual 680s?

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
According to Asus' website it supports quad SLI, you should be fine with that board.

Multi-GPU Support

Supports NVIDIA® Quad-GPU SLI™ Technology
Supports AMD Quad-GPU CrossFireX™ Technology
Supports AMD 3-Way CrossFireX™ Technology
Supports LucidLogix® Virtu™ MVP Technology *1