Sign in with
Your question

Problems booting my new system

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2013 1:21:22 PM

I finished building my computer this morning. I put my old laptop hard drive in as well as a new 1tb hdd. When I turned it on every thing happened as expected but the wireless keyboard wasn't connecting so I couldnt start a bios, so i turned it back off while I got a wired keyboard. When I turned it on again, it started a system resume from the old hard drive. But I wanted to start it fresh so should I just take the sata cable out of the old hard drive and boot it again? Will it start a new bios?
January 24, 2013 1:31:01 PM

It won't start a new bios, that is tied to the motherboard not the hard drive. Be sure the first boot device is the correct drive and then re-install the OS with DVD or usb disk.
January 24, 2013 1:45:54 PM

Can you tell me what you mean by first boot device? Sorry this is a bit new for me.
January 24, 2013 3:23:31 PM

In the bios under boot settings you can set the order that the machine uses for boot devices. You have to list the 1TB drive before the laptop drive. I would put the CDROM drive first in the list as well, since you're installing a new OS (assuming you're installing from a CD).

Often times the Hard disk boot entry is a single item with a sub menu that allows you to order the hard drives.
!