Sign in with
Your question

Stuttering on my MSI Twin Frozr 7950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2012 8:41:50 AM

Hey everyone,

I need help. I am turning to you all because you guys helped me out so much with my 1st build a while ago.

I decided to upgrade my video card from a 5850 to a 7950 recently. When I first got the card a little over a month ago, I initially had problems with stuttering in a couple of games, specifically Battlefield 3.

I did some research, even posted a topic here (no responses though :(  ). I managed to seemingly work it out, I re-installed the drivers after doing a drive cleaner pro wipe, and the card worked great for a month or so.

Well, I wanted to try and push the card a little but more since, after doing some more research, it seemed easy enough to overclock a bit so I tried MSI afterburner to try and push it a bit more. So I upped the clock a bit to 1100, tried to see how it would work. Well, after a couple of mins my comp. froze and I was forced to restart.

After the restart, I was back to the stuttering problem I had before.

I have tried everything...drive cleaning/re-install drivers, older drivers, beta drivers, disabling AMD HD audio drivers, re-setting memory timings, flashing BIOS, and even doing a complete format and re-install of windows.

I am still having the issue. I'll try and describe it...the game runs great for a couple of minutes. Then it begins to stutter and become unpleasant to play. The game is choppy, even though the actual FPS don't seem affected.

AMD Phenom 955
MSI Twin Frozr 7950
8 Gig GSkill RAM
Windows 7
Onboard Audio

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I'm stumped. Although, I will say too, that after the clean windows install I thought the problem was fixed for a while. I played for about 30 minutes before work with no stuttering. Came home from work tonight, fired it up, and back to the stuttering.

Thanks all.
a c 186 U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 9:57:13 AM

It's not your card it's your cpu my friend had same issue he had a AMD Phenom II X4 970 and a 7970 he recently upgraded his mobo and cpu i5-3570k all issues are gone!
m
l
December 9, 2012 5:23:08 PM

That can't be true though because I didn't get the problem with my 5850 at all.
m
l
Related resources
a c 186 U Graphics card
December 9, 2012 5:41:32 PM

Oh it's true.Why would i make it up.
m
l
December 10, 2012 8:08:19 PM

Well, I'm not saying you made it up, and I appreciate the help, but

a) If it were a CPU bottleneck, why would the game work fine on my 5850? Changing the game video setting using my 7950 has no impact on the micro stuttering at all.

b) I has worked successfully in the past with the 795--I had the issue when I first installed the Video Card but it seemed fixed with a new driver instsall until I tried to use MSI afterburner.

c) It runs fine with other games, it seems specific to Battlefield 3 (and Medal of Honor Warfighter, both on the same engine).

I think it must have something to do with the drivers, but I've tried clean driver installs, old drivers, new drivers, disabling sound drivers, etc, and nothing seems to be working.

Seriously, any help or ideas anyone has would be appreciated.
m
l
December 11, 2012 8:09:05 PM

read this article. this could explain the stuttering problem. you could try recording the frames in fraps and see if its comparable to the TR results. if that's the case there probably isnt anything you can do other then hope amd fixes the problem.

http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-ge...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2012 9:15:57 PM

PSU?
Resolution?
Is your cpu OCed?
m
l
!