So i bought a new 660ti and a 600w psu and installed it
I installed the latest nvdia driver also
I am currently using a core 2 quad on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
I KNOW MY CPU WILL BOTTLENECK MY CPU
But i wasnt expecting the 660ti to hav no performance increament
Any suggestion wat shud i do?
*I CANT OC MY CPU BCZ OF NOT HAVING A AFTERMARKET HSF

Solution

start with cleaning the heatsink&fan. You might be able to do it just fine even without removing it.
If that doesnt work, try reseating the heatsink. Remove it, clean the old paste from the bottom of the sink and the cpu with something like IPA using coffee filters or some other flint free cloth. Apply new layer of thermal paste on the cpu and re-install the heatsink.
If the fan on the heatsink has failed you might be able to ghettomod some other (case)fan on it to keep it cool.

If you feel like overclocking...

Kari

Splendid
there should be a massive performance increase, on toms hierarchy chart those 2 cards are 9 tiers apart: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

9600gt would be between gt440 and gt640 in this graph, around 22% I'd guess, 660ti is rated at 103%, so like 5 times faster...
perfrel_1680.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Club_3D/HD_7870_jokerCard_Tahiti_LE/28.html

so I think you should get a nice aftermarket cooler and oc your cpu, or set every eyecandy option to the max on games to make it at least look pretty :)

edit added a source link for the graph

He doesn't need to upgrade his CPU... Just get an aftermarket heatsink and OC the CPU.

@OP: Prototype 2 is a very bad example of a game: it's a really bad console port and people with even the best hardware are having performance issues. You shouldn't judge performance increase based on that single game.

Better selling the CPU and get a decent CPU which will be on level with the GTX 660 ti. I know it will require a new MOBO aswell, but then he shouldn't have bought such a powerful GPU when he has such low-end components.

Why not? He will get insane boost in performance, and if he didn't have money to upgrade everything, buying GPU was the best option. Furthermore, Core2Quad isn't weak at all if you overclock it. When overclocked, it will most definitely not bottleneck that card.

infernape772

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
woah dont want 2 start a flamewar here but yes Sunius im on a budget tats y i decided 2 upgrade my gpu and psu rahter than d whole system bcz if i do it the other way around say upgrading cpu and mobo and use my gt9600 my games wont get boosted as much

Increase settings. The performance won't go down. Point is, Skyrim is extremely CPU intensive game, so overclocking would most definitely help. It's kind of ironic that you chose two bad examples of improvements :). Though, make sure that you aren't running anything in background so the game has as much CPU time available. Also, getting an aftermarket heatsink for ~$30 would also increase performance in CPU bound games due to overclocking.

infernape772

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

wayyy overkill man anyway nice card

Latest posts