Advice On Dual CPU, Mobo, & Ram Upgrade For Video Editing Workstation

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Video Editing
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2013 2:56:21 PM

Hello All. I am hoping you can give me some advice on what to do (or buy) to improve my video editing system. I am a bit of novice when it comes to the technical/hardware end of things and I’m having some issues with my current system. Here are my answers to the “how to ask for advice” sticky:
Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 30 days... but can wait if there is a reason to.

Budget Range: Around $5000.00

System Usage: High end video editing and animation.

Are you buying a monitor: No, I have two HD monitors.

Parts to Upgrade: Mobo, Memory, and CPU.

Do you need to buy OS: No (Currently Own Windows 8, & 7 Ultimate)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, Buy.com, Overstock

Parts Preferences: Since (I think) I need a dual CPU mobo, these seem to be my only two options. Unless anybody knows of any better choices, or new ones coming out worth waiting for.

ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011 Intel C602 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 SSI EEB Intel Motherboard

OR

EVGA Classified SR-X 270-SE-W888-KR LGA 2011 Intel C606 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HPTX Intel Motherboard

MEMORY: But I am willing to change if there is a better option.
CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9

CPU: Am also willing to change if there is a better option.
Intel Xeon E5-2670 Sandy Bridge-EP 2.6GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 115W 8-Core Server Processor BX80621E52670

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No I currently have 1
Quadro k5000 but I am not opposed to changing this.

CURRENT SYSTEM SPECS:
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7 X 980

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte G1.Assassin

RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP12GX3M3A1600C9

GRAPHICS CARD: Quadro k5000

SOUND CARD: None (intergrated) Am also interested in finding a dedicated one if it would help with audio work.

HARD DRIVES:5 HARD DRIVES:
(1) SATA II WD (WD15EADS-00P8B0) 3gb Hard Drive @ 1.5TB
(2) Hitachi 6gb SATA III drives @2TB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(2) Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JL2A/ref=oh_deta...

Reason For Upgrade:I work in Adobe CS6 Master Suite mainly use Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, and Audition. I create very complete animations and videos with many layers and effects (via Boris & Red Giant). I also use Skype to record group video calls (with the program Evaer) for a reality T.V. recap show which I also edit with my Adobe suite.

When I render out a 20 minute premier pro project (with several HD video layers and effects) it takes almost 13 hours. It seems like this is very long considering my high end components, and hard drive set up. My other problem is that when I record my Skype group calls of 4 people (with Evaer) to my SSD the audio is always off when I bring it into Premiere. I don’t know if this is a problem with Evaer, a codec (it records it as H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Codec. At 1280 X 720 and 30fps), that SSDs auto compress files, or that my system just cant handle it.

After researching I see a lot of people are recommending a dual processor work station (since the processor is what effects render times) not the GPU. So I want to build my own workstation and sell or salvage what I can from my current system. I have around $5000.00 I could invest in building one but am not sure what the best, mobo/cpu/memory would be and it doesn’t seem like there are a lot of choices out there. Since Id also like it to have features like USB 3.0, they ability to use SLI, and newer “desktop” features.

My bottom line is that I’m looking for advice, and hoping that maybe somebody here does the same kind of work and has already built a similar system. If you have any questions or need more info just let me know.

Thanks!
-Eric

More about : advice dual cpu mobo ram upgrade video editing workstation

January 24, 2013 4:30:28 PM

As I see, you already did a lot of research on the hardware. I would recommend analyzing the problem on you current system first. A good start is to use resmon.exe (just search for resmon under start) and observe the cpu / disk / memory activity while using your software and encoding videos. It needs a little practice, but if the cpu is your problem, you should see a very high load on the cpu tab and so on. You might also see only two cpu cores under load. That means your software is unable to use all cores and so a dual cpu system wouldn't help.
m
l
!