NEW Gigabyte GTX 680 OC 4096 MB Faulty? Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandare

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hi,

I just bought a new Gigabyte GTX 680 OC 4096 MB from Lambdatek in the UK.

I wanted to compare the benchmarks against my old GTX480 and against the listed ratings on NVidias site. I used the free version of 3dmark Vantage on the performance setting.

The GTX 480 scored 20290 and the new GTX680 scored 29804

This is not really the issue, but a bit of background.

The real issue is that on the second run of the benchmark using the new card the pc crashed when loading the first test (jane nash) - the screen went black and the pc rebooted, but really slowly. I could see though the side window all the post checks running on the mobo (gigabyte boards display codes as they boot) but it ran them a really slowly, to the point where I thought it had hung completely,. Eventually it got to "FF" which is displayed normally when the pc is booted and running fine, but the screen was still black and turned itself off. I turned off and on again an the screen showed no signal. I had to hard power off using the switch and I could here the windows off sound played in the speakers, which means it had booted, but no video signal?

It then did not do it for days so I assumed it was jsut a glitch in the 3dmark software. I played assassins creed 3 with no issues. The today I was listing some stuff on ebay and went to opening jpeg image to check it - bang - does it again, exactly the same as described above, just form opening a jpeg. It has done it 4 more times today, jsut opening jpegs...

So I ran the 3dmark tests 4 times in a row, and it does not do it! gets similar scores every time, and now it won't do it even if i open a jpeg repeatedly.

This card is new and I am really hoping it id not faulty as after reading lambdateks returns policy it states it could take weeks to resolve.. damn. Anyone got any other ideas on hoe I can test.

The only other thing I can find odd is that I installed an SSD recently. following the protocols I found online I set my page file to really low , 400mb-400mb - yet when I look in the dx diag, it says the page file is 3gb... I had read that setting the page file low could cause weird crashes, but it had not done so for two weeks before I put the new card in so I think maybe I am clutching at straws here.

Also, windows randomly found an old driver online for my Eizo S2431W monitor, which I installed whn I formatted the drive two weeks ago. never used to run with this on my 480, and everything worked fine, so maybe this could be a cause...

Another question, both GPU-z and Nvidia inspector show the card as 4096mb, but my dxdiag thinks it has 2755.. should this be of concern?

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/9/2012, 14:46:10
Machine name: DAN-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: EX58-UD5
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM (Corsier Dominator)
Available OS Memory: 6142MB RAM
Page File: 3234MB used, 3304MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Also:

Samsung 830 256mb SSD
Western digital velociraptor 300Gb
Corsair HX 750W Power Supply
6x 120mm Cooling Fans (5x Kaze Juni 1900 RPM) 1x CPU cooler (Xigmatek Aegir) - Fans are running off Scythe Fan Controller.

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 680
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1180&SUBSYS_35511458&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2755 MB
Dedicated Memory: 4036 MB
Shared Memory: 2814 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: S2431W Digital
Monitor Model: S2431W
Monitor Id: ENC1887
Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)
Output Type: DVI
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.0697 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.697
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/2/2012 22:21:00, 18252136 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Another question, both GPU-z and Nvidia inspector show the card as 4096mb, but my dxdiag thinks it has 2755.. should this be of concern?

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
When you get a problem like this, though you dont mention what PSU you are using.
You should be looking at if the power supply can provide enough Amps/watts to drive the card when it is under full load. The result will be a black screen, a frees of the system or a restart. 680 card requires much more power from a PSU to keep it stable.

dandare

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Brand New Corsair HX 750W - Minimum on Nvidia website is 550w. Not enough...? I would not think that opening a Jpeg could cause a crash? not if gaming does not...

dandare

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
I suppose my other question to pose would be how honest should I be with the retailer... technically what I could do is box it back up and return it under the distance selling regulations for a refund. They say on their sight that unwanted items must not have been opened, but this is actually a breach of the above regulations so I would be within my rights.

Alternatively I could take the honest route and say I think it is faulty, and risk having to send the thing back and wait weeks, maybe even after xmas, for the thing to be tested. They even claim that they will levy a service fee if no fault is found! and as this seems to be a highly intermittent fault I think they would be hard pushed to replicate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.