Could use a little help with second HD install

G

I recently gutted my old computer and updated virtually every component, save the monitor. I have a new 20GB Seagate HDD which has been working fine for several weeks, but have since decided that I'd like to take my old 12 GB HDD and install it for use as a backup drive -- installing a second HDD is something I've done for friends several times and never had any problem whatsoever, but of course, my own is acting up.

Every time I install the second drive, it kicks my current drive out of master and refuses to detect it even as a slave. I've tried both IDE channels on my MB (ECS/Elitegroup K7S5A), multiple cables, and swapping the order in which the drives were plugged in on the cables, and still to no avail; I can't seem to get both drives installed at once, and was curious if anyone could perhaps offer a suggestion as to why this is happening. There's no mention of any jumper settings in either the drive or MB user guides that need to be altered (both drives are Seagate).

Thank you in advance for your time!

I have an 8GB Seagate infront of me, and the jumper settings are as follows:

|::: Master or single drive
:::: Drive is slave (no jumper)
||:: Master with non-ATA compatible slave
:|:: Cable Select

So I would assume your 12 GB drive has no jumper on it (assuming it is the same config as this one).

Double check your BIOS settings and make sure both controllers are enabled and your boot sequence is cool.

I also assume you don't have an operating system on the slave drive? This could cause hiccups.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Yeah, you have to jumper the hard drives. Go to seagate's website for a schematic on the jumper settings. Once they are jumpered, set the new HD as master(boot from first) in the bios.
Once I jumpered my drives, it didnt matter how I cabled them, the jumpers kept them as master and slave