Check/advice on my gaming pc build.

epicred4

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Processor: AMD (Piledriver) FX-4300 3.80GHz (4.00GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 4-Core Processor - Retail
GPU:Sapphire HD 7770 GHz Vapor-X OC Edition 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3 AMD 970A (Socket AM3+) ATX Motherboard
RAM:8GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline #996770 (2x4GB) 1333 (PC3-10666) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM CAS 9-9-9-24 1.5V
HDD:1TB Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive
Case:Zalman Z11 Black Midi Tower Window Gaming Case
PSU:500W Corsair Builder Series 500CX 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply
And this TP Link 150Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter [TL-WN751ND]

Approximate Purchase Date: i'll order in the parts as soon as i know for sure what i want/need.
Budget Range: £300-500
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, work/office, internet browsing and other general stuff(music,video etc)
Overclocking: yes in future.
SLI or Crossfire: i would very much like that explained.
Monitor resolution: 1440x900 (may get a new monitor in future)

I mostly play skyrim, but i also play vindictus, modern warfare(on and off), tf2 (on and off). since my exams are over (for now) i will be playing a wider range of games. I want to play at medium to high setting (high preferred). I want this to last me awhile before upgrading. I won't be needing an optical drive or a license for an operating system. It has been a while since i last put together a desktop pc. i had to put my laptop together less than a year ago (motherboard broke had to replace it), i put it together fine. i'd say i will be fine putting a desktop together. I would very much like the processor to be amd with the socket am2/am3/am3+. so i can upgrade to the fx-8350 in future or whatever may come out with that socket requirement, + amd tends to be cheaper. I would like a good all round performance. I know 4gb is enough but i really wanna not worry about the memory i wanna run quite a few things in the background (browser with lots of tabs cause i always end up like that,music in the background and maybe more). and maybe games in future will take advantage of more ram.

I dunno if this is relevant (maybe it is) I'm in full time education, I'm 17 and im taking a level computing (not doing anything about assembling pcs though).

I would like advice on this build, if i should change some components or use a difference site for buying the components. The price total comes to £452.27. I wanna know if i can lower that and how? why?.

I also wanna know if the ARIanet gpu,case,psu are good. if anyone here knows.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Hey EpicRed4.

Your build looks OK.
I can suggest better stuff for more money.
Going with AMD so later you can upgrade to an 8350 is truly a waste of time.
I would try to put together an Intel build if you can take the hit for a few dollars.
Even an i3 dual core 22nm Intel will perform better than the FX-4300 you are planning to buy.

In any event, I would suggest you look at Scan for possibly better pricing.
http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware

Newf.

I think this is a decent build for a budget rig. Although the cpu you chose is newer, I recommend the 965BE as its 10 bucks cheaper and just as fast (even at lower clocks) and it will overclock well too (I have the one in my Folding@home rig at 4ghz). It will work with your other parts too. Later, when you have the means, you can move up to a newer 8 core model. I recommend a new cpu heatsink too. The Coolermaster 212EVO is a great buy. I would also by memory that runs native at 1600mhz instead of 1333mhz as it will be a smidge faster. I would stay away from multi card gpu set ups as they still have issues.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
+1 maestro0428. Pretty good advice.

Another reliable and low cost source for parts in the UK is:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

These guys as well as Scan have been around for a long time.

Newf.

yologelo

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Nice case I have that too :) Looks like a decent gaming pc basically same as mine to be honest :) I would change the ram into corsair vengeance 2x4GB 1600mhz or ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz their quiet cheap on ebay around £35+

epicred4

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
ok 8350 waste of time, change cpu to to 965be (was thinking that to begin with). up the ram. Im not sure bout the duel core more and more people are going for higher cores. how about the graphics card will fair well with the latest games right?. and what about the ARIanet stuff is it any good?.

yologelo

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

If your going to crossfire mode in the future get a 750w psu as it will give you a lot of room for upgrades ;)

Btw we're the same age also studying A level IT :eek:

Oh and Crossfire is basically using two identical cards connected to each other to give you better performance and better fps on games, I have two Hd6850's in crossfire at the moment :D

epicred4

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
ok, yea. so is the motherboard/gpu/cpu compatible with cross fire and does it have to be identical and will it double the performance?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

Yes it will do Crossfire. The specs can be read here: https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/GIGABYTE+GA-970A-DS3+AMD+970A+%28Socket+AM3%2B%29+ATX+Motherboard+?productId=48467

No it will not double performance. Performance will be improved.
This is another waste of time. When you get the money to get a second card, you will want to upgrade, not add another obsolete card to your system.

Newf.

epicred4

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
ok am using amazon now cause i always have had good experience with them and they have the case i want.

update:

Phenom II X4 965
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SRQ214/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Aerocool 6th Element Mid Tower Gaming Case
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004O8X8VC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Crucial Ballistix 8GB (4GB x2) DDR3 Memory Kit
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006YG94Y2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AICOGDY4JLNPG

i have kept everything else the same. except i am getting it from amazon. I really don't want to be upgrading the processor for a while. the phenom II x4 will be able to keep up with the graphics card right? and maybe future graphic card upgrade in the 7900 series?

epicred4

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
I have ordered it in. thank you guys. anything to add about what i bought? if you do it would be very much appreciated. if an admin comes by or something, close this.