$600 budget, need amd and intel options

Hello, I've been kind of overwhelmed with a lot of different computer options I can build in the $600 price range and I'm not sure where to go.


I would like to know what are my best options for both an AMD computer and an Intel computer. Something that can run games decently (far cry 3 med settings?! around 50fps?) . I mostly play on my consoles though. But I'll also be using it for creating apps, coding and rendering (photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign).

Any tips? I MIGHT be able to stretch toward $700, but that's my absolute max. I will more than likely go to Microcenter, but if I can go somewhere else, I'm not biased.

Also, I'll need a good OS too (M$).

Thank you and good day.
9 answers Last reply
More about budget intel options
  1. Here is decent AMD build
    It comes with a six core AMD cpu and a good mid range GPU (7850) with 2GB of VRAM

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.51 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($172.08 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $679.50
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 15:38 EST-0500)[/i

    Here is an Intel version, specs similar in most ways but with a arguably weaker CPU.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($121.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.50 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.51 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($172.08 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $680.57
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 15:44 EST-0500)


    If you do end up doing lots of editing work with large files, you can spend a bit more and grab 16GB of ram
  2. From intel :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($121.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($58.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.50 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $610.37
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


    From amd :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($98.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS5X Performa CPU Cooler ($14.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($33.84 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $588.70
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  3. What would you think of something like this

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zmud
  4. stickmansam said:
    Here is decent AMD build
    It comes with a six core AMD cpu and a good mid range GPU (7850) with 2GB of VRAM

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.51 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($172.08 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $679.50
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-24 15:38 EST-0500)

    Hmm....good choice.

    But you recommend Windows 7 over 8?
  5. djangoringo said:
    From intel :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($121.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($58.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.50 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $610.37
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


    From amd :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($98.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS5X Performa CPU Cooler ($14.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($33.84 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $588.70
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    Is Phenom or FX better?
  6. tenaciousk said:
    What would you think of something like this

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zmud

    How much "worse" is the 6100 compared to the 6300?
  7. The FX-6300 is better, but that would put it over the budget if the limit is 600$.
  8. djangoringo said:
    The FX-6300 is better, but that would put it over the budget if the limit is 600$.

    Good point...need to make some sacrifices somewhere. I can always upgrade later I guess.
  9. linkgx1 said:
    Hmm....good choice.

    But you recommend Windows 7 over 8?


    7 over 8 any day.

    Yeah I went for the $700 budget mark since try to fit the most in. Problem with upgrading later is having to resell parts which I find more of a hassle so I tend to save up till I can get what I want.

    Sacrifices you should not make
    -cheapo motherbaord that will burnout
    -cheapo PSU that will burnout
    -1gd of vram that will suck for editing purposes
    -not getting 8gb of ram
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Intel AMD Systems Product