Sign in with
Your question

PC Freezing Problem

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2013 7:20:54 PM

Hello there,

About a month ago, I had a major problem of BSODs and random PC crashes. It turned out to be a motherboard problem, and I bought a brand new one. Mind you, the PC in question is a year old and had no problems of this sort before.

However, now I have a new problem. Once in a while (sometimes once a day, sometimes more, sometimes once every two days) my PC just freezes up while there is a distinct sound (as if the last 0.1 second sound is getting looped) coming from the speakers. For the past 2 weeks, this only happened ONCE when I was playing a game. It mostly happens when I'm just browsing the internet, or sometimes when I'm watching a video from the HDD.

I read that this could be because of a conflicting driver problem, most likely caused by the audio drivers. I installed new versions, uninstalled it, did everything I could (including disabling the AMD High Definition Audio or any other identical drivers showing up on Device Manager) to no avail.
Now I know this isn't a big issue, but it is frustrating nonetheless. I can't even leave the PC open for the night to download something, as it often just freezes (the system sometimes restarts itself after 10 seconds, sometimes it doesn't).

I'd be glad if fine gentlemen here could help me out.

Thanks!

System Specs:
i5 2500k CPU
AMD 6950HD GPU
Gigabyte B75M-D3V MoBo
G-Skill Ripjaws 8GB RAM
Windows 8 64-bit

More about : freezing problem

January 29, 2013 3:42:28 PM

Hello omergurlek :hello: 

Is this thing overclocked at all? Have you ran Memcheck86 yet? Is there more than one memory stick, have you tried one at a time in verying slots. Does it freeze in Safe Mode with Networking?
January 29, 2013 5:08:01 PM

hillmanant said:
Hello omergurlek :hello: 

Is this thing overclocked at all? Have you ran Memcheck86 yet? Is there more than one memory stick, have you tried one at a time in verying slots. Does it freeze in Safe Mode with Networking?

Hi there!

Nope, no overclocks at all. Didn't run memcheck yet, but I did so in recent past and had no problems (also tried varying the RAMs at that time). Didn't try Safe Mode yet, but it also froze once after a clean boot (no services running).

Didn't freeze for the last 2 days by the way. Weird.
January 29, 2013 5:44:54 PM

Why have a 2500K with no OC thats what the K is for? The reason I ask is I have the same CPU with an OC at 4.5Ghz and I had a problem with mine randomly crashing to black and it was a simple CPU undervoltage by like .05 volts. Sounds like it could be CPU overheating too, have you tried CoreTemp to see what your CPU temps are? The reason I asked about safe mode is while started in safe mode none of the nonessential drivers start, If it doesn't crash in safe mode with networking(I say with networking simply so it can still be useful while debugging problem) Then odds are its a driver or other software related item, if it does crash I would guess hardware issue.
!