Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Burning smell. Invalid Beep code. Weird!!

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 24, 2013 7:39:47 PM

Hello,

Today I was applying some new thermal paste to my CPU. Put it all back together. It wouldn't turn on and the lights were all on it would shut down instantly. I then smelt a burning smell after checking it out I can confirm it came from the cd drive.

Now my beep code I get when I turn it on is 3 Long and one short. Which according to my manual and Google doesn't exist!! People have had this error and there is no real solution and people think it can be the RAM motherboard or PSU!!

My PSU is a CiT 750watts black editition - I hear there not that good and it may of destroyed my pc?

My motherboard is a GA-890GPA-UD3H

My ram is GSKILL - 8GB 4x2 DDR3 1333HZ

My cpu is Amd Phenomon x6 black edition
January 24, 2013 7:41:23 PM

Also beep code is the same when I take out my RAM too
a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2013 7:53:07 PM

You can take a look at this: http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/getting-3-lon...

They said reseating the CPU fixed it, did you also make sure that you applied as little thermal paste as possible while still covering the chip? If you had too much it could have bled off onto the CPU contacts when you fastened down the heatsink, and especially if it is a conducive TIM it could have caused damage.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2013 7:54:29 PM

After you applied the thermal paste did you put the heatsink fan back on the CPU? Did you unplug the CPU fan cable, if so did you plug that back in. Also do you have the 4/8 pin and 24 pin power cables plugged into your mobo. You can disconnect your CD and see if the PC boots
January 24, 2013 8:02:44 PM

I have reseated the cpu. All cables to the mobo from psu are connected. There is no leakage from the paste either and small amount was applied. I took the mobo and assembled it again on card to ensure it was not shorting and allow me to look at it closer but nothing obvious.
January 24, 2013 8:05:00 PM

Also as soon as I smelt burning I disconnected the cd drive and it has not been connected since.
January 24, 2013 8:40:37 PM

mr3army said:
Also beep code is the same when I take out my RAM too


Well that tells you something. Most likely took out some ram with that power surge. First I would get a good power supply. Seasonic is king. Corsair, OCZ, and Antec are good (some of that stuff is made by Seasonic). Then test your memory one stick at a time. You have already checked that the CPU and cooler is secure. If you have the ability you might check that memory in another computer.

Of course the other problem is it could have messed up the motherboard or CPU. The memory slot could be bad so trying the memory in other slots could be helpful.

Let us know if any of this solves it or if the problem persists.
January 24, 2013 8:49:16 PM

Have tried with a single stick in each of the 4 slots. Same with double ram sticks. No luck there. Really hope no hardware is damaged other than PSU eeek. Looking into getting someone to give me ram or test my RAM on there computer.

What is a good cheap PSU which would power my setup? I also have a radon 6850 card
January 25, 2013 7:32:34 AM

Thanks for the reccomendations. Also before this all happend my 1TB HDD would keep turning on and off after 10 mins of computer operation. And eventually it just died and would not work and I destroyed the HDD with a hammer being a privacy freak and did not think it could of not had enough power.

Does this mean it would most defiantly be the PSU?
January 25, 2013 7:55:37 AM

Also by cheap I mean cheap enough it wont destroy my components :/  and are you sure its enough to power everything and my ssd?
January 25, 2013 8:09:01 AM

Also if you could find one on amazon.co.uk would be even better!

Regards
January 26, 2013 10:52:02 AM

There are quite a few bad reviews for that first PSU that second one is a bit expensive :/ 

Are we sure that its the psu causing the beep code??

Regards
January 26, 2013 7:15:49 PM

mr3army said:
There are quite a few bad reviews for that first PSU that second one is a bit expensive :/ 

Are we sure that its the psu causing the beep code??

Regards


Its expensive because it is Gold rated. That is a good buy for that supply.

No I am not sure that is the reason for the beep code. You said the beep code was the same whether memory was in or not so I assume your memory is fried. Of course it could be the memory slots that are fried which would be a motherboard replacement. What I am saying all that can be traced back to a bad/cheap power supply. You can't get a good 750W power supply for 35 pounds!

If all you have is a 6850, CPU, SSD, HD then I guarantee a Seasonic 550W gold can power it all.
January 26, 2013 7:50:20 PM

Hi there.

I have already started the RMA for the motherboard. I am sending it to gigabyte on monday. Can you explain the rating and what they do ect?

Hoping RAM CPU and graphics card are ok and wont need replacing ect.

Regards

Thanks.
January 26, 2013 8:02:43 PM

mr3army said:
Hi there.

I have already started the RMA for the motherboard. I am sending it to gigabyte on monday. Can you explain the rating and what they do ect?

Hoping RAM CPU and graphics card are ok and wont need replacing ect.

Regards

Thanks.



This should help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
January 27, 2013 2:06:36 PM

Hi guys

I just tested my PSU doing the paper clip test and using a multimeter.

I am getting the standard volts for all the cables

Does this mean its not my PSU?
January 27, 2013 7:18:20 PM

Some things are a nice to have and others are essential. It is essential to get a good quality power supply. Yours is not.

It probably killed that hard drive and either your memory, motherboard or both and you still want to keep it?

Read my posts again.
January 27, 2013 8:41:53 PM

Im sending my motherboard in tuesday. I still cant see how it would fry my stuff when the volts are good?

Il update gigabytes report.
January 27, 2013 8:56:18 PM

A paperclip test is not a tester. It will tell you if the power supply is dead or not. True testers run in the neighborhood of $2500-$3000 US dollars. The way to test a powersupply is to put a load on it and then test the output. With the paperclip you were able to test it under about 1% of its output.
!