Sign in with
Your question

MSi 7970 Lightning Underperforming

December 9, 2012 3:50:12 PM

I have just purchased a MSi Lighting 7970. It's placed in an ASUS Crosshair IV mobo along with a Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3.79 GHz- more than enough for games such as BF3. However, I am only getting 50-60 frames in BF3 on ultra (with VSync off), which is very low compared to other people's reports of how these cards perform which I saw when researching what video card to purchase. I asked on here whether or not I would need to buy a new motherboard and CPU to support this graphics upgrade, as I'd rather not spend hundreds of dollars if I don't have to, and people said that I wouldn't need to buy a new one as I wouldn't see much of a performance gain.

As I've said, my system is clearly underperforming. It should be much more powerful than it is, given its specs. What's wrong? I'm pretty sure it's not the graphics card, it does fine in heaven bench compared to other 7970s on the graphics card benchmarks that I found on this website. Is it my CPU bottlenecking? I'm lead to believe so, but I just don't know for sure. What do you guys think? Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
!